Courses with great opening and closing holes.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Following on from a comment about courses that have weak opening and closing holes. It got me thinking - which courses have great opening and closing holes?

A two immediately come to mind for me -

Saunton east
Burnham and Berrow

Not sure either of the sunningdales qualify

D

Deleted member 1147

Royal Porthcawl is the only one I can think of that I’ve played

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Following on from a comment about courses that have weak opening and closing holes. It got me thinking - which courses have great opening and closing holes?

A two immediately come to mind for me -

Saunton east
Burnham and Berrow

Not sure either of the sunningdales qualify
On the 18th at B&B I asked a member for the line off the tee. I nailed a drive perfectly only to find it was the line for the shorter hitters!

D

Deleted member 21258

The Warren in Essex, has a great opening and closing hole.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree n Saunton East, Burnham and Porthcawl - also St Enedoc. Out of the heahlands, Blackmoor is a good shout, maybe St George's Hill, especially if you swap the nines around
I thought about St enodoc but then couldn’t convince myself the 1st was a great hole!

Agree about St. George’s if 9s are swapped as I thibk the current 1st and 18th aren’t great

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the 18th at B&B I asked a member for the line off the tee. I nailed a drive perfectly only to find it was the line for the shorter hitters!

Yesterday I hit my second from
The other side of the 1st fairway! I hit it way too straight for me with a very strong wind

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought about St enodoc but then couldn’t convince myself the 1st was a great hole!

Agree about St. George’s if 9s are swapped as I thibk the current 1st and 18th aren’t great

I like the first a lot but can't remember the 18th being too great

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Saunton east
Burnham and Berrow
Those two & St.Enodoc.
As a 1st hole, Trevose is up there too - purely for the aspect from the first tee looking down the course towards the sea (though the 18th & much of the course is a bit 'meh').
Locally, love the first and 18th at Beau. Just seems quite 'grand' to me from the clubhouse - plus both big risk/reward holes. 1st at only 300 yards has made many a grown man (and woman) crumble.

For me the 18th holes have to finish in front of the clubhouse. Something lacking if they don't. (Probably some exceptions that don't immediately spring to mind).

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Those two & St.Enodoc.
As a 1st hole, Trevose is up there too - purely for the aspect from the first tee looking down the course towards the sea (though the 18th & much of the course is a bit 'meh').
Locally, love the first and 18th at Beau. Just seems quite 'grand' to me from the clubhouse - plus both big risk/reward holes. 1st at only 300 yards has made many a grown man (and woman) crumble.

For me the 18th holes have to finish in front of the clubhouse. Something lacking if they don't. (Probably some exceptions that don't immediately spring to mind).
I’d agree that they are two of the best holes at Trevose. Shame the rest of it it so average!

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Burnham & Berrow
Saunton East
Northamptonshire County
St George’s Hill
Ferndown
Gleneagles Kings Course

And my personal favourite for best opening and closing holes :

San Lorenzo

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Castle Stuart
Royal County Down
Hilton Templepatrick has a so so first hole but finisher is great, lots of water to cover with second shot or bailout to right with the hotel framing the hole.

D

Deleted member 15344

Tough call thinking of many

Blackmoor is a great shout

Burnham I think the opening hole is really good and the finishing hole is tough - prob one of the toughest out there - not sure about great

Duchess has two very good holes to start and finish

Can think of great 18th holes but the first is bit gentle - Littlestone as a perfect example

Always hard to think of starting holes.