Courses Newton-Le-Willows

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm moving to the South Manchester/Warrington village of Newton-Le-Willows in the next couple of months and will be looking for a club to join. Any suggestions of where I should take a look at? Haydock Park looks promising, but that's purely based on looking at the website. Anywhere else I should consider?

Cheers

D

Deleted member 1740

If you' haven't got six fingers on each hand you'll be the odd one out in Newton le willows :rofl:

Eccleston Park, Blundells Hill and Grange Park are probably the nearest other than Haydock.

There's a couple of Eccleston Park memmbers on here who could shed light on the club though I've played it and it was decent.Blundells is a very nice course that's still maturing and Grange Park is the best out of those imo.

I've not played Haydock Pak but heard good things about it. Ashton-in-Makerfield is another good club, but beware of some of the Rugby louts they've just let in....

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Dan, you are spoiled for choice really. Haydock park is nice, but a bog in the Winter and is pretty short. Am happy to take you around Lymm (10/15 mins away). Others worth a look are Ashton (still has a joining fee), Houghwood, Deane Wood where Bluewolf has joined us supposed to be nice (still not had an invite yet ;) , Blundell Hills, Birchwood , Eccleston Park (good value for money) , Grange Park and I am sure there is a few more!
Do you have anything specific you are looking for?!?
North West people on here are pretty good at getting games in. Just drop us a line if you fancy a knock....

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
Worsley is quite close, also very wet in the winter but you do get good VFM, you get 50 range balls every day of the year the course is open as a courtesy. They have a great short game area, and the membership also includes health club membership.

Eccleston Park has recently gotten partner courses, so you get 6 games at each of teh following:, Higher Leigh (Knutsford), Withington (Manchester), Blackpool North Shore (Funnily enough in Blackpool)

Eccleston Park is for some reason usually windy in the summer can play like a links, very long rough of line, but great green. There are no heirs and graces and the members like a laugh (Me being one of them) Cost is good, let me know if you fancy a knock I have can show you round the rough in the evenings after work. We have the following comps (Summer / Winter League, Friday Roll Up, Weeekend Comps, and the odd rabbit putt and such like) but there are other courses around with better value for the condition of the course.

Best to have a knock with a few off here to see what you think and maybe join a couple of local courses on cheaper deals so you get the variety. Take your time till you find one with the right atmosphere nothing worse than people who thinks they rule the place not welcoming newbies.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Haydock, Birchwood & High legh arent too clever, i wouldnt bother with any of them.

Dunham forest is nice but probably expensive.

Lymm is very nice but hard :rofl: maybe thats just me.

Warrington supposed be good.

Im at Davyhulme but that would be an awful drive for you on a regular basis. Your welcome for a game when you move up here though :thup:

thepodgster

Head Pro
Visit site
Eccleston Park has recently gotten partner courses, so you get 6 games at each of teh following:, Higher Leigh (Knutsford), Withington (Manchester), Blackpool North Shore (Funnily enough in Blackpool)

Wasn't aware of the above - when did this come in to place?

Dan2501 - if you are around and only able to do a knock during the day give me a shout to host you around Eccleston Park.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played Ashton in Makerfield last week for the first time and enjoyed it, like others I would not consider Haydock or Birchwood both get very bad when its wet. Warrington is nice but is a fair drive as its on the other side of the town from you.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you' haven't got six fingers on each hand you'll be the odd one out in Newton le willows :rofl

Haha, I'm moving into a good area then? :L I haven't visited personally, trusted the missus to find a place as we've both got jobs around the Manchester area. What's it like?

Thanks for the suggestions chaps. Quite a few seem to have come up a few times, so have plenty to try out =D

D

Deleted member 1740

Haha, I'm moving into a good area then? :L I haven't visited personally, trusted the missus to find a place as we've both got jobs around the Manchester area. What's it like?

Thanks for the suggestions chaps. Quite a few seem to have come up a few times, so have plenty to try out =D

I usually drive round it rather than through it :D

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought Newton was ok? Few folk I used to work with lived there, really easy to get into Manchester and Liverpool on the train.

Not played too many round there, Lymm is a cracking course IMO, really enjoy it there. Played Dean Wood with bluewolf recently and really enjoyed that aswell, similar to Lymm in that there's a real variety of holes.

Welcome to the NW anyway, I'm about half an hour up on the Fylde coast, more than welcome to head up for a game when you're here :thup:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought Newton was ok? Few folk I used to work with lived there, really easy to get into Manchester and Liverpool on the train.

Not played too many round there, Lymm is a cracking course IMO, really enjoy it there. Played Dean Wood with bluewolf recently and really enjoyed that aswell, similar to Lymm in that there's a real variety of holes.

Welcome to the NW anyway, I'm about half an hour up on the Fylde coast, more than welcome to head up for a game when you're here :thup:

The main road through Newton is good.Plenty of decent boozers and a few good eating places. Like everywhere else, there are rougher parts as well.. All in all it's not a bad little place, and easy access to the Motorway network and the East Lancs..

I've only played a few courses around there. Lymm is very good and is a traditional members club. Ashton is decent but still has a sizeable joining fee (even though you can stagger it I think). Eccleston Park is a course I enjoyed when I played it with Podge earlier this year. Quite a modern club with a friendly membership (If you play with Podge and it's close stood on the 18th, don't worry as he always stuffs up his drive ;)). IIRC Blundells has a good reputation..
You're welcome for a knock at mine (Dean Wood) but I suspect it's a bit too far for membership..

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk

Wasn't aware of the above - when did this come in to place?.

About 6 weeks ago, apparantly Withington is really nice, tight tree line, but great food at good prices.

If you speak to the lads in the shop they will provide the introduction to the partner courses, book the tee time for you and pass you all the info you need. Are you in comp tomorrow?

Ista

Hacker
Visit site
If you want a 9 hole course to practice on then there's a nice little club called Alder Root near Newton. I played it for the first time yesterday & it's a good set up. Unlike most 9 hole courses it only has a couple of par 3s - it's about 3000 yards total. Good practice area & buggy hire available. It's £11 for unlimited play & there are seperate tee boxes should you wish to play 18 holes which makes the 'back 9' different. ( the 1st /10th actually has different greens).
They run a monthly membership from £31. Didn't seem too busy either given it was a Friday afternoon. Definitely worth a look as it will be on your doorstep & the course is well maintained.

http://www.alderrootgolfclub.co.uk

Last edited:

thepodgster

Head Pro
Visit site
About 6 weeks ago, apparantly Withington is really nice, tight tree line, but great food at good prices.

If you speak to the lads in the shop they will provide the introduction to the partner courses, book the tee time for you and pass you all the info you need. Are you in comp tomorrow?

Didn't play today due to an all day BBQ yesterday. Looking at playing during the week - will pm you

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are plenty of good courses within easy reach of NEWTON all depends what you want from a club and how deep your pockets go,ECCY PARK cheap and cheerful has a booking system and is very flat and uninspiring,BLUNDELLS was a top club when it opened but has dropped down the scales a bit,POULTON (if still open ) has a nice homely feel but noise of motorway puts you off,ALDER ROOT nice 10 holer ! members are a bit cliquey but course ok for a knock,GRANGE PARK private club very traditional but course in fabulous nick (always ) and the cream of the crop ROYAL ASHTON what can i say im a member so it must be the best !!!,if you just want a game of golf with friendly bunch of blokes,play a few comps etc join SHERDLEY PARK G.C based at the local muni 10 mins from your house,or the NATIONAL on the rainford by-pass,expensive and not yet finished,longest walks known to man between tee boxs but an option,its a case of take your pick and enjoy.

DaveL

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sherdley is looking and playing nice at the moment. You also have Mersey Valley, which I quite enjoyed, Fiddlers Ferry, which isn't my favourite but if you buy a loyalty card for £20 you get your round and every subsequent round for a year for £10 inc weekends.