Courses near or on the way to St Andrews

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Am heading to St Andrews in May, and planning to head up a couple of days before my rounds there. Looking for a good, cost effective course to play on a Sunday. Last time up, we played Lundin Links, which we enjoyed a lot. Could be tempted to play there again, but there must be a lot more around worth having a go on. Elie is a consideration, just wondering if there are any other courses I should look at. Unfortunately, Kingsbarns and Carnoustie are out this trip, preferably looking for value for money, and a green fee circa £50 or less, but will pay more for the right course. Not bothered on teh type of course, juts looking for something nice.

open to ideas, thanks

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Kinghorn Golf Club is brilliant bang for your buck.

A short 18 hole Old Tom Morris layout. I think it will only cost you £12 to play as run by Fife Council.

Absolutely great fun, won't tire you out or take too long to play. A few quirky / strange holes, but just go with it.

It is south fife, probably an hour from St. Andrews (roads aren't great) and 20 mins from Lundin / Leven.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would depend which courses are being playing in St Andrews and whether you really want good or cheap. Don't overlook the Eden or The Dukes in St Andrews, both of which are very enjoyable in their own regard and can be played for around £50 if you get the right deal+timing.

It could be tricky to get a Sunday morning at other nearby courses as many medals are played Sundays but if looking at the later afternoon, places like Scotscraig, Ladybank, Downfield, Monifieth and Crail are the best options nearby.

If you want cheap then Elmwood, St Michaels or Drumoig are all fun with their own quirks, qualities and shortcomings.

Personally I think the courses on south Fife riviera (Crail, Anster, Lundin, Leven) are a little disappointing but given generally positive reviews other people have it may be me that's always expected too much of them.

Basically, throw a dart in a map and you won't go wrong anywhere nearby in my opinion. It all depends what you want, how far you want to travel and what deal you end up with.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played Downfield on my stag do about 18 months ago, was a great track and fun to play. We got a good deal with green fees and buggies for something like £35 each.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Elie and Crail are both great but are both going to be £90+ for a weekend in May, unless they do you a deal....worth an ask.

If you're looking at less than £50, Aberdour or Pitreavie might be worth a look....both are not far after the Forth Bridge.

Also the two courses at Fairmont in St. Andrews will probably do you a deal for £50 or less.

User20204

Visit site
Ladybank or Downfield would good choices if you wanted something different than links, Drumoig, I wouldn't play again if I were paid to play there.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We did a few days in Fife last year. We stayed in anstruther and played the nine holer. Everyone was very friendly, and we had an enjoyable evening, but I wouldn't go out of my way to play it.

Outside St Andrews, we played Crail and ladybank. Both were great. Crail is a bit out of the way, and is subject to American pricing.
Ladybank would be my recommendation. It's a well presented course, is offers a bit of variety from links, and it is good value.