Courses near or on the way to St Andrews

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I certainly wouldn't bother with Crail, overrated would def cover it and only a few good holes IMO.

Scotcraig, Monfieth or Panmuir which could all be got for this price or at least they could last time we were down there.

Also worth considering the Wee course at Blairgowrie, best 9 hole ive ever played

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I certainly wouldn't bother with Crail, overrated would def cover it and only a few good holes IMO.

Scotcraig, Monfieth or Panmuir which could all be got for this price or at least they could last time we were down there.

Also worth considering the Wee course at Blairgowrie, best 9 hole ive ever played
Yes, but you're coming from the wrong direction :). They're not really "on the way to St Andrews" if you're coming from the southern tropics.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes, but you're coming from the wrong direction :). They're not really "on the way to St Andrews" if you're coming from the southern tropics.
all those are just a short drive from Dundee so not that far out the way, prob the quickest route would be via the M90 rather than the long route though all the small villages

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I went there twice last year:

Old Course - if you get the chance, do it. You only live once and there probably isn't a cooler hole than the 18th in the world. £180, but just look at it like its £10 a hole :D

Eden - Not bad and worth the £50 I paid. The holes right by the coast are great fun.

Fairmont - I think I played the Torrance. It's ok and represents reasonable value at £50. It's not really 'proper' links though, and feels quite man made in places. I probably wouldn't play there again.

Crail - I played the Balcomie on an incredibly windy day, and that was an experience :D I daresay that on a calm day it would be quite an easy course, but I doubt you get many calm days there. Great little course and absolutely worth the £80 it costs. Really rugged and pretty much every hole is exposed to the brilliant views of the coast.

Leven Links - Old school, unpretentious links golf. We played this in the middle of that fantastic heatwave last year, and the fairways were rock hard. This one probably is the best value you're going to get in the area - I think we paid less than £30 for an afternoon tee time.

St Andrews is just a great little place. Considering how snobby some golf clubs can be, the home of golf just doesn't have that arrogance thankfully.

Great places to drink include the Keys Bar, Criterion, loads but I cant remember them all for obvious reasons :D

Have fun!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Also forgot to say Fairmont isn't worth playing either, though its cheap... it would have to be;)

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
we will be at st andrews in july and going to play castle, eden, jubilee and crail balcomie. if the weather is fine we'll play another course and i thought about fairmont. after reading your comments i reconsider and play a different course. is ladybank, dukes or elie worth it? kingsbarnes is too expensive, i take it

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
is ladybank, dukes or elie worth it? kingsbarnes is too expensive, i take it

All of them better than Fairmont. Ladybank is the best, The Dukes is much better than people generally seem to believe and its the closest option. And yes, Kingsbarns is incredibly expensive but maybe not for you depending on what happens with € vs £ come July. ;)

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
All of them better than Fairmont. Ladybank is the best, The Dukes is much better than people generally seem to believe and its the closest option. And yes, Kingsbarns is incredibly expensive but maybe not for you depending on what happens with € vs £ come July. ;)
predicting what will happen with euro pound exchange rate in the next 4 months is like predicting how many strokes i will take next time round

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
We ended up with a great deal at Scotscraig, £135 for the three of us. What a lovely course, about 20 minutes drive up the road from St Andrews, played it sunday afternoon just after 3pm in bright sunshine and a stiff breeze. Didn't play particularly well, but we all really liked the course and would play again.

We also played the Castle Course (which is now my favourite course up there) and the Old Course. The views up at the Castle are stunning, and some of the holes are just fantastic, especially the 17th, which both myself and the missus birdied. We played the Old course in blazing sunshine, it was glorious, much prefer that to the freezing, 25mph wind, sleet and hail that we played in two years ago. Got out of Hell bunker in 1, despite being right up against the face, and par'd 18 in a 3 over handicap round (marred by an 8 on the first par 5 after getting stuck around some gorse). The boy blazed round 7 over gross, including a triple bogey on the second and a birdie on 18. Was a truly excellent 3 days in St Andrews, thoroughly enjoyable.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Leven Links could be another option. Abutts the links part of Lundin (I believe they even have a combined comp once a year) but is 'all links'. Lundin is probably a bit 'grander' but the several 'non lnks' holes seem (daftly) to detract from my enjoyment somewhat - even though the Par 3 up the hill is a beauty! Both have great finishing holes!

Sandsider

Visit site
Dunbar has some afternoon tee times @£ 60 Mon - Weds, and twilight (after 16.00) @£50. Phone first and check out website.
Great big ticket links course doing their best to cater for the genuine golfer.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Dunbar has some afternoon tee times @£ 60 Mon - Weds, and twilight (after 16.00) @£50. Phone first and check out website.
Great big ticket links course doing their best to cater for the genuine golfer.
Great course, but a long way from St Andrews and, almost certainly, a considerable diversion!

Sandsider

Visit site
Great course, but a long way from St Andrews and, almost certainly, a considerable diversion!
OP's coming from Milton Keynes. No hardship to go NE up the A1 via Newcastle. Play Dunbar and then scoot up the A1 to Edinburgh and then St Andrews. How difficult is that? Bet you could get to Dunbar in 5 hours and stop over if necessary.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
OP's coming from Milton Keynes. No hardship to go NE up the A1 via Newcastle. Play Dunbar and then scoot up the A1 to Edinburgh and then St Andrews. How difficult is that? Bet you could get to Dunbar in 5 hours and stop over if necessary.
Have you read the OP? To me, there's an impcation that it's not an 'on the way up' course that's required!

Springveldt

Visit site
I quite like Drumoig which is just up the road from St Andrews. Some cracking holes, especially the 9th.

As others have said, if you go over the bridge you have Monifieth which is very good and I also liked Arbroath Golf Links just along from it.