Courses near Lincoln

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK, so I'm up here on a second recce looking at a permanent move to Lincoln. (For those with familiarity, am looking at the Uphill area of the city). When we do eventually move, obviously I'll be looking for a new club to join. Anyone got any comments on courses to look at. Say within 30 mins drive. (Ps: I'm already aware of Woodhall Spa - rather I'm interested in views on other courses.)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
OK, so I'm up here on a second recce looking at a permanent move to Lincoln. (For those with familiarity, am looking at the Uphill area of the city). When we do eventually move, obviously I'll be looking for a new club to join. Anyone got any comments on courses to look at. Say within 30 mins drive. (Ps: I'm already aware of Woodhall Spa - rather I'm interested in views on other courses.)

A few of the lads at our place have played Torksey which is Lincoln a golf club. They have really enjoyed the place. Not a million miles away from Lincoln. Torksey marina is supposed to be nice as well.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Another which is classed as Lincolnshire is the Ping centre and courses at Gainsboro. Me finks it’s a bit far from Lincoln though.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played Torksey and can give it another thumbs up.
Only trouble with courses round Lincoln is they are usually very flat so if you like changes in elevation you may be a bit disappointed ?

NearHull

Visit site
Torksey is a very good course. They’ve just invested a lot of money in irrigation. There is a good amount of green side bunkers (and seemingly bunkers everywhere I was driving to) all of which I thought were well looked after. It is also a friendly clubhouse. I play it three or four times a year.

Tashyboy

Visit site
My Ma has mentioned Market Rasen, and Louth. Anyone played them?
Louth could be a right trek To get to. On a normal rd 40 mins ish, but Friday through the weekends, that rd gets busy with folk going to and from the coast. It could be a 90 minute round trip.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
My Ma has mentioned Market Rasen, and Louth. Anyone played them?
Given the choice, I would choose Market Rasen.
Louth is a bit squished in with tees and greens close together so a lot of waiting.
The last Pro Am I played there took 5 hours 45 mins.
Having said that, the 1st at Market Rasen is a tough start in a medal.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Given the choice, I would choose Market Rasen.
Louth is a bit squished in with tees and greens close together so a lot of waiting.
The last Pro Am I played there took 5 hours 45 mins.
Having said that, the 1st at Market Rasen is a tough start in a medal.
You should have played a bit quicker then Bob! :):):)

Market Rasen featured in last month's GM. The pics made it look quite nice.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Quiet a few years ago I stayed in a lodge on Kenwick Park and plated the attached golf course, very reasonably priced and ok course.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
As you can guess from my username, I'm a yellowbelly.

Market Rasen is very nice and handy if you're north of Lincoln. It's tree-lined and difficult but is always in good condition. The other course north of Lincoln is Welton Manor which is one of the cheaper ones but it's more of a pay-and-play course, it has very few members.

Slightly south and east of Lincoln is Pottergate (nine holes, great value, very welcoming) and Blankney (my course, so I'm biased!) which is quite traditional and can play long and tough.

On the western edge of the city is Carholme which is very tight and fairly short, but it's very convenient for anyone living in the city. It's on public land so you can get the odd encounter with someone having a picnic on a fairway! Further west is Lincoln GC (locally known as Torksey), it's quite a drive from Lincoln despite it's name. It's more expensive than any of the others I've mentioned but it is always in good condition, some will tell you it's 'cliquey' but I know many members and have never experienced anything like that. Up the road from Torksey is Millfield GC (aka Laughterton, sorry for the multiple names!) - it's really, really cheap and is generally in pretty bad condition as a result - but you get what you pay for.

If you're in any of the villages south of the city then it's worth considering Newark and Sleaford too. They are both pretty (albeit fairly flat) and are usually in good condition. Sleaford had a problem with flooding a few years ago but I believe they've fixed it now.

These are all just my personal opinions of course. When you make your move, give me shout if you want someone to play with!

Last edited:

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Millfield is horrific, by far and away the worst course I have ever played! Dandelions on the greens, hedges in front of greens, no grass on some of the tee boxes, shirtless golfers leaving empty beer cans on the course, etc. I think the green fee is <£10.00 and that is too high!

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Millfield is horrific, by far and away the worst course I have ever played! Dandelions on the greens, hedges in front of greens, no grass on some of the tee boxes, shirtless golfers leaving empty beer cans on the course, etc. I think the green fee is <£10.00 and that is too high!

Yes, it's awful, lots of people use it as a place to learn but they nearly all want to move on somewhere better. They've been in business for a long time so it proves there is market for golf at all price levels. You can get a membership there for c£100 and use the £600+ saved to play a lot of opens every year.

Swango1980

Visit site
I have a soft spot for it, as I played my first ever team game away at Millfield. But, I agree with your review generally. Last time I played there, it was littered with dead rabbits all over the fairways with that rabbit disease (horrific), and the owner driving over greens in his Landrover (at least, I think it was the owner at the time).