Courses in South West London?

wheeler

Visit site
Hi,

I have just switched career which means i will have the majority of the day off mon-fri.

Now i'm not gloating though it may seem like it, but i live in Clapham Junction which is a major train station that services a lot of south london and areas to the south and west, e.g. surrey.

I'm after a club thats close to home where i can get a season ticket, prob a mon-fri one, that isnt too pricey, but is a nice club with a nice course.

I did a quick google search and came up with hundreds so i thought i'd ask about on here first.

What i'm after ideally is:

- near a train station
- year season ticket for not much more than £500
- nice looking course with some water or trees. basically not a new course that's just been made in a couple of fields.
- as an added bonus, a membership where i could potentially leave my clubs at the club house in a locker so i dont have to take them down with me on the train every time i play.

Thanks a lot guys, i look forward to any responses, and am keen to get out there maybe even next week :)

Russ

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Wimbledon Common. Good course, friendly staff and a ten minute hop from Wimbledon station by cab. I know when I was a memeber they had lockers so that shouldn't be an issue. Membership around your budget, no water but each hole secluded by trees.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Or Mitcham Common.

Train to Wimbledon then hop on tram to the Mitcham Common stop. The club house and first tee are practically on the station platform. Nice course and reasonable day fees but don't know about season/annual fees.

Because of the tram network, you could also try checking out the clubs around (south) Croydon. Don't know them myself, but I dare say some are not too far from a tram stop.

Darenth Valley is just few minutes walk from Shoreham station but not sure how you get there from the Junction - probably into town and out again.

Or.... there always the Central London Golf Centre :( (ha ha, only joking - its practically on your doorstep but hardly worthy of the name golf)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have to say Mitcham is a good shout as well. Another common land course but a friendly club from what I remember. Another course that sprung to mind is Malden just a short walk from New Malden station although pretty sure that will be more expensive than your budget but is a private parkland course.

There is also Wimbledon Park although you do lose a significant number of holes during the tennis for car parking and TV broadcast vans.