Course is Bone Dry - Temporarily Ban Smoking?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Instead of banning smoking (which really would not work, because serious smokers really can't go four hours without a fag and will be very difficult to convince to even try), just put a healthy fine on leaving your cigarette butts anywhere on the course (which is a complete no-go anyway, no matter what the weather is like, because those things just won't rot and are disgusting). Make sure to put up a sign in the pro-shop right next to a display of in-pocket ashtrays. Those things cost less than a packet of cigarettes usually, and there is really no reason in the world why anyone ever should leave cigarette butts behind.

I remember as a kid, 1980's, standing in line at an airport ready to board a flight and hearing smokers say how they couldn't wait to get on the plane so that they could light up. Chain smoking was quite common and 'they couldn't possibly last 3 hours on a flight without a tag'. Roll on 30 years and smoking is banned in airports and on flights. Flying has never been more popular though.

The point being, people adapt if they have no choice. If smoking is temporarily banned because of the current situation then people will manage. Those few who can't survive a round of golf without a ciggie, truly can not, will be so few as to be negligible.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I remember as a kid, 1980's, standing in line at an airport ready to board a flight and hearing smokers say how they couldn't wait to get on the plane so that they could light up. Chain smoking was quite common and 'they couldn't possibly last 3 hours on a flight without a tag'. Roll on 30 years and smoking is banned in airports and on flights. Flying has never been more popular though.

The point being, people adapt if they have no choice. If smoking is temporarily banned because of the current situation then people will manage. Those few who can't survive a round of golf without a ciggie, truly can not, will be so few as to be negligible.

Off topic now but I remember sparking up on a plane, train, bus, cinema, offices, shops, hospital bed (as a patient) & even back of an ambulance next to that big air tank thingy

With a CV like that surely I could be trusted on a golf course :cool:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Off topic now but I remember sparking up on a plane, train, bus, cinema, offices, shops, hospital bed (as a patient) & even back of an ambulance next to that big air tank thingy

With a CV like that surely I could be trusted on a golf course :cool:

Twas a different time back then, when smokers ruled the world and all ceilings were yellowed 😱.

D

Deleted member 15344

After playing for the last couple of days most courses ( especially without fairway irrigation ) are just a spark away in certain areas from going up in flames so it’s no surprise and common sense now to just reduce the risks

Smokers can go without cig for a few hours - they don’t have issues on planes and trains etc

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just joined my club today, first email I got was able email to all members saying be extra vigilant with cigarette ends, and that they would be putting bins out to put them out on and dispose of the ends.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Yep, dogends don’t count as litter, chuck em anywhere. Fire? Oh sorry, thought It was out🤪

Ok, not all smokers are that daft, but I’ve played with folk whose actions would lead you to think they’d say the above.

On Bude and St Enodoc this week... burnt right out, high chance of fire. St E issued instructions about smoking yesterday.

D

Deleted member 1147

Our weekly newsletter included a friendly reminder for the smokers to be careful how they dispose of their fag ends, along with a link to the GM article I attached to an earlier post.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There's a 1ft square patch of burnt grass at the very front of one of our greens - at a point where a player going onto the green would walk and where a smoker would discard a fag end...

Pure conjecture of course...but can't imagine what else would cause the burnt patch.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
There's a 1ft square patch of burnt grass at the very front of one of our greens - at a point where a player going onto the green would walk and where a smoker would discard a fag end...

Pure conjecture of course...but can't imagine what else would cause the burnt patch.

Could have been a petite witch burning or some other sacrifice to golfing gods (maybe even alignment sticks rubbing together caused a spark!)
That close to the green I would foresee a chip and we all know how many chipper fires are started each year

You're just not thinking outside the box (or outside the fag packet) ;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Could have been a petite witch burning or some other sacrifice to golfing gods (maybe even alignment sticks rubbing together caused a spark!)
That close to the green I would foresee a chip and we all know how many chipper fires are started each year

You're just not thinking outside the box (or outside the fag packet) ;)

It was actually on the green - but you are right - not far from the fringe so I suppose a spark from a chip could have been a possible source