Course is Bone Dry - Temporarily Ban Smoking?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
So they'd pull him up for lighting but wouldn't pull him up for carelessly discarding a lit cig, weird ;)

I don't think it needs banned for a few days of warm weather

I do feel that, as with any situation where there is heightened level of risk, as there is at the moment, sensible precaution should be taken. A ban may be too much but notices, sand buckets and maybe a sign with details of what to do if you see something (smoke in the rough etc) would help.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There are lots of things that can cause a dry fire - do you want to ban cans which can reflect the sun etc etc

I’m sure the people who smoke on golf courses will ensure that the fag is completey out

As a retired fireman. with 31years service, I have been to many fires caused by carelessly disposed cigarettes but never one thought to be caused by cans.
I recall playing at Hollinwell ,mid 1980s with the British Fire Service and I recall there was a total smoking ban on the course for the 4 days of the competition.
All competitors survived !

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I do feel that, as with any situation where there is heightened level of risk, as there is at the moment, sensible precaution should be taken. A ban may be too much but notices, sand buckets and maybe a sign with details of what to do if you see something (smoke in the rough etc) would help.

Agree, as LP said there's plenty ways a fire can start, measures should cover as many as possibly (as you describe) not simply target one

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
With Saddleworth Moor in flames; my track bone dry; and with me still seeing discarded fags ends about the place - do I think that there should be a ban on smoking on the golf course? I think I do. It's never happened at my place that I'm aware of - but surely the risk of part of your course going up in flames is just not worth it. Could smokers survive 4hrs without a fag?

Yes they can.
And yes, you should.

Good call.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So they'd pull him up for lighting but wouldn't pull him up for carelessly discarding a lit cig, weird ;)

I don't think it needs banned for a few days of warm weather

Well if lighting up was still allowed then playing companions should perhaps ask the smoker to discard his fag end with great care. Don;t leave it to the smoker to act responsibly - pity you might have to - but there we go

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've a very cynical view on smoking and general litter, in that some people are just lazy knobs. On many courses I've seen a bin on the tee box and only a few feet away fag ends, chocolate wrappers and bottles. Those of us with a conscience and a decent upbringing that were taught to respect others and our environment are few and far between and those that don't give a toss or expect others will pick up for them will no doubt just ignore any signs and carry on blindly not caring if they start fires or make their course look a mess.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We had an email from the club today reminding smokers to be vigilant when extinguishing their cigarettes. I wouldn't ban them but I feel the club could do more to supply suitable bins on the course for butts to be disposed in. We are tinder dry and it'll only take one mistake to cause some serious damage

D

Deleted member 15344

You are kidding aren't you. They smoke em, flick em away. Don't care if out or not.

What a shame that so many times people throw around poor negative generalisations - the guys I play with who smoke don’t do what you suggest and the forum members I have played with who smoke don’t do what you suggest. Maybe it’s just the people you play with :rolleyes:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What a shame that so many times people throw around poor negative generalisations - the guys I play with who smoke don’t do what you suggest and the forum members I have played with who smoke don’t do what you suggest. Maybe it’s just the people you play with :rolleyes:

That’s exactly what I do yeah.

We all do it. It’s just how smokers are.

I'm pleased you have had better experiences but the golfers I have played with over the years have all just flicked them away. Sorry if you don't like that but it is what I have seen over and over.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
We recently had a big gorse fire at our course. I think we had fire engines out seven times in a week as it just kept smoldering and reigniting.

Anything to reduce the risk of that sounds like a sensible suggestion.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm pleased you have had better experiences but the golfers I have played with over the years have all just flicked them away. Sorry if you don't like that but it is what I have seen over and over.

sad to say it is the majority of what I've seen as well, and we have bins on almost all of our tee boxes. Most of my playing partners are smart enough to use a bin at least :)

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
most people dont realised that cigarettes are now self extinguishing. about a year ago we where part of a study to show how effective they are. even when dropped down the side off a sofa they didn't cause a fire.

imo it would be very difficult to start a grass fire with a discarded cigarette