Course is Bone Dry - Temporarily Ban Smoking?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Self-extinguishing? Never heard of that, do they have built in sprinklers :).

I've said on here before (and that created a fire storm) that smoking should be banned on golf courses at all times. No place for the filthy habit on any sports facility.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
most people dont realised that cigarettes are now self extinguishing. about a year ago we where part of a study to show how effective they are. even when dropped down the side off a sofa they didn't cause a fire.

imo it would be very difficult to start a grass fire with a discarded cigarette

How do you smoke them if they keep extinguishing themselves? ;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I personally don't have a problem with alcohol on the course but I accept some have issues. The big difference between that and smoking however is that unless someone sprays me with alcohol their drinking should not interfere with me. Playing with someone who smokes inevitably means that my clothes will smell like an ashtray, there will be a good chance I will be breathing in their fumes even when outdoors. Someone drinking a bottle of beer is not likely to lead to me smelling like a bar at 11pm.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
On the course yes.

Again people are lazy, cans, bottles and bottle tops are left, dropped, rather than carried to a tee box where there is a bin. Not everyone, but the few rotten apples spoil it for the rest.

I don't agree.
It's those in charge who ban things because of the rotten apples who spoil it for the rest.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Gross habit and a fire hazard. I think smokers should dispose of their rubbish properly - I don't see people discarding drinks and food wrappers on the course, yet I see dirty smokers dropping butts all the time. Pick up your fag butts - simple.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
What next, ban alcohol?

On the course yes.

Again people are lazy, cans, bottles and bottle tops are left, dropped, rather than carried to a tee box where there is a bin. Not everyone, but the few rotten apples spoil it for the rest.

I don't agree.
It's those in charge who ban things because of the rotten apples who spoil it for the rest.

To clarify, some of those that drink on the course, discard their empties on the course when it would be just as easy for them to carry it to the next bin, but no dropping an empty bottle or as the original thread discussion point, a fag end is much easier, thus leaving it for the rest of us to pick up after them. Bottles and cans and other litter I will pick up, be it on my course or anybody else's course, but I do refuse to pick up fag ends.

It may not spoil the enjoyment of a round of golf, but I don't see why I should be picking up the rubbish other people are to lazy to carry to a bin. It's just ignorance and a lack of respect for others and the course.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
How do you smoke them if they keep extinguishing themselves? ;)

they have multiple fire break circles running down the cigarette. you can see if you open one up and hold to the light. the paper will only burn past these fire breaks when a smoker draws on it. if you leave it to burn to the next fire break it will smoulder very slowly but as its under old ash it doesn't catch alight.

fire deaths through smoking in bed where very common 20 year's ago. i genuinely cant remember the last cigarette related fire i have attended in around 4 years

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I moved over to twitter to see what was going on and the first post that popped up, was from Forest Pines GC, where they have temporarily put a ban on all smoking on all three courses, due to the dry weather.

D

Deleted member 15344

I personally don't have a problem with alcohol on the course but I accept some have issues. The big difference between that and smoking however is that unless someone sprays me with alcohol their drinking should not interfere with me. Playing with someone who smokes inevitably means that my clothes will smell like an ashtray, there will be a good chance I will be breathing in their fumes even when outdoors. Someone drinking a bottle of beer is not likely to lead to me smelling like a bar at 11pm.

Unless of course the person drinking is then a little bit tipsy and could end up causing issues which has happened at more clubs that people smoking a cigarette

Certainly seen more issues on a course through alcohol than smoking

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Unless of course the person drinking is then a little bit tipsy and could end up causing issues which has happened at more clubs that people smoking a cigarette

Certainly seen more issues on a course through alcohol than smoking

Agreed but they are different issues. Alcohol can cause unpleasantness, no question, it does that in many aspects of life. People don't fight after 20 cigarettes but the unpleasant aspect of cigarettes does impact those around the smoker.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
the unpleasant aspect of cigarettes does impact those around the smoker.

agreed. a little off topic but only last week i was in Cyprus. there where multiple people on their loungers smoking away completely oblivious to those around them. in their eye's they're doing the right thing by smoking outside. when in fact their smoke is blowing straight though a line of children trying to eat with their family. i asked one couple to be aware that every time they blow smoke it goes into my face and the face of my 4 year old daughter. their answer was "move then"

these people are the type of people that would throw a fag end into the dry rough.

Last edited: