Course closures

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Opened on Friday for the first time since mid December, but only on winter greens. Snow forecast for later this week so we might be back to square one. ?

Captain_Black.

Visit site
My course is pretty good.
If we get a big deluge, they shut it, but it dries up fairly quickly.
I'm just not a fan of golf this time of year.
I pretty much stop playing just before Christmas every year & just assume it'll be February before I get to play again.
Most days this time of year is either course closed / raining / freezing cold & temporary greens, none of which inspires me to play.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Opened on Friday for the first time since mid December, but only on winter greens. Snow forecast for later this week so we might be back to square one. ?
It's been relatively nice here the last couple of weeks, but forcaste is for it to be -8 tonight. If that's the case we will too next week

C7usk

Visit site
Ours has been closed all week. It has put some rain down but I've never known it to be closed for more than a day or two consecutively before and judging by the comments from the guys who've been there years, either do they!

The greenkeeper quite bluntly put it when we called him out on WhatsApp and he said we need to get used to it as summers are getting longer and the winters more mild and wet.

Its a strange one our course, it tends to get surface water but stays quite firm and doesn't chew up and get muddy. Normally it takes a day to drain away and you're good to go but we haven't had that recently - Just relentless rain.
Lol. I take it the green keeper didn't take to kindly to the queries....hopefully it opens soon for ya.
I don't have a problem when it's obviously going to do long term damage. But when you only get a full track from end of march to the end of Oct and then its closed a lot inbetween its getting harder to justify staying..

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
When we did close, during a monsoon a couple of weeks back, a reevaluation took p,ace and we opened , carry only, at 9.30.
Generally we don't close for rain as it drains so quickly
We may be open Carry Only but at least we're open.
Played 11 holes this afternoon and the course is as soft as I've ever known it somid be amazed if any other courses, with the exception of 1 or 2, are open.
Plenty of breeze still so a 50:50 chance of trolleys tomorrow.?

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Despite all the local flood plains being full, the parkland where I play has remained open and today I thought was in surprisingly good shape. Full length course, normal tees and greens. I carried but trolleys allowed. Commiserations for those experiencing less luck.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
We’ve not been shut too much but have been allowing trollies (but asking people to carry if possible, which has largely been ignored) until today. Which is far too late as many areas already resemble a ploughed field.

Still quite a few people out with trollies though.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Played the Hotchkin this morning. We are on fairway mats now but this should have been introduced in November! Fairways are dry enough. Some bunkers have standing water in them. However we really should have some winter greens out there as a few of the main greens are spongy as hell.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Closed Saturday. Played today and in some places it was just too wet. Probably closed again tomorrow as it is lashing it down now and has been for a couple of hours. I can see the course from my house so I know it is getting another soaking.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Lol. I take it the green keeper didn't take to kindly to the queries...

Na hes a good lad and took it in the spirit it was intended haha he was getting some stick for this never happening under his predecessor but everyone has commented on how much wetter the last few winters have been so he was just setting expectations I think!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Nice day yesterday and some some holes open with carry only, but overnight deluge sees us shut again. Early morning Email normally says if closed if there is to be a further late morning inspection to see if opening is possible, but not today.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Ours finally open again, but 15 holes and full temp greens so I dont think I'd have bothered even if I was able to.

Forecast looks good for the week though so hopefully i can get out Friday afternoon or Saturday morning before the comp, by which point it should be back on full greens.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
This was the scene at Whipsnade that made the 3 of us leave....even if it's a P&P the damage being done will take ages to recover.
At a Member's club it's destroying their prime asset.
I'm glad my current club doesn't let trolleys on if conditions are such that damage would occur.
Another previous club let members on in similar conditions..the ruts took a couple of years to get back to anywhere near normal.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
This was the scene at Whipsnade that made the 3 of us leave....even if it's a P&P the damage being done will take ages to recover.
At a Member's club it's destroying their prime asset.
I'm glad my current club doesn't let trolleys on if conditions are such that damage would occur.
Another previous club let members on in similar conditions..the ruts took a couple of years to get back to anywhere near normal.

In defence of the club, this is the nine hole course which would have attracted quite a few visitors yesterday- which is of course revenue. The 2 - 18 hole courses were closed, and they’re all closed today.
That photo isn’t representative of the rest of the course, which although wet in places, wasn’t too bad. Should have definitely been a trolley ban on though.

I guess the greenkeepers are making the call when it’s dark based on what they can see of the course - as you can see from this other tweet, the 1st tee is pretty dry.

Having said that, I’d imagine they would have rather kept it closed yesterday?

Couple of greenkeepers have commented on the tweet to say how hard it is to make right call. Rather them than me…

Albo

Visit site
Mines closed again today due to frozen snow overnight. Looking at the forecast it’ll be Friday at the earliest before it’s open again