Course closed due to weather......refunds or not?

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
No refunds at my course but they are reducing the 7 day membership fee next year in the hope of getting new members to join.

They need to reduce the 7 day fee's at my local course. Just make it hard to justify becoming a member when I can only play 2 days out of the 7.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
They need to reduce the 7 day fee's at my local course. Just make it hard to justify becoming a member when I can only play 2 days out of the 7.

it s dosn't work like that though, the weekends are the prime times to play, not sure any club would reduce the fee for the weeknds,

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The Club Company run Wharton Park too and it also gets damp. They open it as much as possible but some members have not been pleased. They cannot change the base soil but have improved drainage in places. Unfortunately, it has been closed for a number of days but they try to get 9 holes, 12 holes or 15 holes open if possible.
They have recently given us £30 on our range card and offered a free sandwich too. They have been trying but sometimes it is impossible to get the course open. I have been a member there for 24 years and it is always the same but they have been more communicative than some previous owners. Unfortunately, you cannot please everyone all the time.

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
it s dosn't work like that though, the weekends are the prime times to play, not sure any club would reduce the fee for the weeknds,
Yeah, totally understand. Just one of those things that always seems unfair. My local club is doing a membership where you pay £250 for the year then £10 green fees (normal GF's are £20). Depending on how often you play it can be quite a good choice as its cheaper than going for their top, bells & whistles 7 day membership.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yeah, totally understand. Just one of those things that always seems unfair. My local club is doing a membership where you pay £250 for the year then £10 green fees (normal GF's are £20). Depending on how often you play it can be quite a good choice as its cheaper than going for their top, bells & whistles 7 day membership.
how much for full 7 day membership?

Trapdraw

Medal Winner
Visit site

More than likely the club will end up with a shortfall in revenue due to this, and end up struggling. Its a short sighted view, designed for people to have there cake and eat it.

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
More than likely the club will end up with a shortfall in revenue due to this, and end up struggling. Its a short sighted view, designed for people to have there cake and eat it.
They are trying to save the club. Kirklees council have approved a housing development on the course so it may be closing in 2 years and replaced by a 9 hole course.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
£840 (which isn't bad compared to other courses in the area like The Huddersfield GC).The "Bronze" price is actually £240 (£20 a month DD) then a tenner a round.
Ok, but say you played ever sat and sun thats almost £1300, which show what good value full membership is

Trapdraw

Medal Winner
Visit site
Sure, but the bronze membership is aimed at those who dont play every weekend. Noce to have options

But if say 250 members took up the bronze membership and only played 20 to 25 times a year the club would be struggling for money.

I think reducing green fees to increase visitor numbers is a short sighted way to raise money. I think it automatically devalues the club and membership, visitors paying £10 a round would then turn there noses up at paying £840 to become members.

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
But if say 250 members took up the bronze membership and only played 20 to 25 times a year the club would be struggling for money.

I think reducing green fees to increase visitor numbers is a short sighted way to raise money. I think it automatically devalues the club and membership, visitors paying £10 a round would then turn there noses up at paying £840 to become members.

Thats why they have different memberships. The cheaper ones come with less benefits such as restricted tee times, no social membership etc. I'm happy to pay £20 per round at the moment because i know my playing time wont be high this year to make any membership worthwile. Thigs may change. The club isnt struggling for money, membership is till in good health. Council just thinks more houses are more important

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok, but say you played ever sat and sun thats almost £1300, which show what good value full membership is

Thing is a scheme like that would actually suit me really well. Up front cost is reasonable and I do not think that I get 60 rounds in a year and so it would be a saving to me. I only get to play once most weekends, twice very occasionally but if you take into account the rounds lost to the weather, family commitments, holiday etc, I reckon I get maybe 40 rounds a year so a good £200 saving.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Depends though, if you were losing members because time pressures and family commitments meant that they could not get value out of a full membership then it reduces the overall loss to the club. As has been pointed out, for people who play plenty of golf, this scheme would be more expensive and so they stay as full members. I think that it is admirable to offer a scheme that suits people who either cannot or do not want to spend every waking moment at the golf club.

Trapdraw

Medal Winner
Visit site
Depends though, if you were losing members because time pressures and family commitments meant that they could not get value out of a full membership then it reduces the overall loss to the club. As has been pointed out, for people who play plenty of golf, this scheme would be more expensive and so they stay as full members. I think that it is admirable to offer a scheme that suits people who either cannot or do not want to spend every waking moment at the golf club.

But if these type of memberships become the norm, there wont be a golf club to join.

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
But if these type of memberships become the norm, there wont be a golf club to join.
I don't think they will become the norm especially if there are limitations to them. But if a club can attract the golfers who wouldnt normally become a member (either due to cost or time restrictions) as well as maintain the usual memberships, I think its a good idea.