Countback

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
No, the 10.2 trumps the 9.2, obviously. Not sure what your question is though.
With the same score, a tie break that is in some way related to their relative score. If 9 in 10 tie breaks are solved this way, then however crappy, it is less crappy that the countback system which makes no distinction whatsoever on golf performance.
Eh? It literally distinuguishes who performed better down the stretch hole by hole.

Swango1980

Visit site
Our club resolves ties by declaring the best dressed golfer in any tie as the winner.....

I joke, obviously. But resolving ties in such a way might encourage the pro-shop to stock up on plenty of trendy gear, and boost profits.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No, the 10.2 trumps the 9.2, obviously. Not sure what your question is though.
With the same score, a tie break that is in some way related to their relative score. If 9 in 10 tie breaks are solved this way, then however crappy, it is less crappy that the countback system which makes no distinction whatsoever on golf performance.
Got it. ?

Use decimal points unless that doesn’t work.
Then just award it to the higher handicapper, obviously.

Seems pretty well thought out.?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Got it. ?

Use decimal points unless that doesn’t work.
Then just award it to the higher handicapper, obviously.

Seems pretty well thought out.?
Sorry, as noted I hadnt caught the point of the question. A 10.2 gets the place over the 10.0. But a 9.4 gets the place over the 10.2. in the 10.2 v 9.2 case, we are back to needing some other tie break, and the count back is a convenient but meaningless way of resolving it. But as good as totally random really.
At least the decimal point would resolve 9 out of 10 cases, so a significant improvement.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Eh? It literally distinuguishes who performed better down the stretch hole by hole.
Yes, but whether down the stretch, or in the first few holes, is meaningless to a golf score over 9 or 18 holes, where the bottom line is what counts. Taking the decimal does distinguish a further precision on ones score versus handicap.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Sorry, as noted I hadnt caught the point of the question. A 10.2 gets the place over the 10.0. But a 9.4 gets the place over the 10.2. in the 10.2 v 9.2 case, we are back to needing some other tie break, and the count back is a convenient but meaningless way of resolving it. But as good as totally random really.
At least the decimal point would resolve 9 out of 10 cases, so a significant improvement.
Except it's not is it, because 10% of the time you're going to have to go to a second method anyway. In all my 40 years of golf, only once have I seen a dead heat after countback, and the (what I think is a new suggestion) option to start counting back on the front 9 was not used so that would have probably done it.