Countback question

mjsw13

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all - been away from the forum for a while but slowly getting back up to speed with it.

I was wondering if someone could help me ascertain who wins in the following scenario...

36 hole medal (nett trophy). Both Player A (1 handicap) and Player B (5 handicap) shoot 68 nett first round. Second round, they both shoot 69 nett. To determine the winner, countback has to be used. As the players cannot be separated on the 'back 18', they then have to use the back 9 of the 'back 18'.

The scores for each player are below.

Many thanks for your help with this

Player A
Hole 10 - Par 4

Hole 11 - Par 4

Hole 12 - Par 5

Hole 13 - Par 4

Hole 14 - Par 4

Hole 15 - Par 3

Hole 16 - Par 5

Hole 17 - Par 3

Hole 18 - Par 4

—-----
Player B

Hole 10 - Par 4

Hole 11 - Par 4 (SI 4)

Hole 12 - Par 5

Hole 13 - Par 4

Hole 14 - Par 4 (SI 2)

Hole 15 - Par 3

Hole 16 - Par 5

Hole 17 - Par 3

Hole 18 - Par 4

—---

Who wins?

Many thanks in advance

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
What do the Conditions of Competition say about a tie? Is the countback on gross or nett scores? Nett I would assume.

As it is a stroke play competition, points don't come into it. We need to know Player B's score on the 13th.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If it's a Nett Comp then isn't it reasonable to assume that Countback would be Nett as well...?

B needs a birdie on 13 to win......

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it's a Nett Comp then isn't it reasonable to assume that Countback would be Nett as well...?

B needs a birdie on 13 to win......

I assume that too but just checking ;)

A birdie? A's inward score is 35. B has scored 32 over the 8 holes. He needs an eagle 2 at the 13th, I reckon?

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
I assume that too but just checking ;)

A birdie? A's inward score is 35. B has scored 32 over the 8 holes. He needs an eagle 2 at the 13th, I reckon?

B has actually scored 34 with the 13th still to count. Take off his 2.5 and he has 31.5 with one hole to come , A has 35 minus his 0.5 which gives him 34.5 total. B needs to have shot a birdie on 13 just to tie and go to the last 6 holes countback.

Just to confirm this , you only get half your handicap as its a 9 hole countback. It doesnt have anythiing to do with shot holes.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Surely that depends on the rules your club has adopted, certainly at mine you would count shot holes. Taking a percentage of the handicap becomes very fiddly when you get down to back 3 etc.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I see it, countbacks are not part of the Rules of Golf but of the conditions set by the Committee for a competition so, I assume the committee can decide any method of settling a tie it likes - toss of a coin, better-dressed competitor, fewest number of swearie words used, sudden-death play-off...whatever (some of these are not entirely serious :cool:). So nett score by a percentage or nett score by using the stroke index are both possible.

Without working it out (too much arithmetic) maybe nett by percentage is fairer? Could using the stroke index create anomalies when one player (as in the OP's situation) has an odd number of strokes and the other an even number? Player A above gets no benefit from his stroke allowance in the inward half while Player B gets 2/5ths of his allowance. It sounds as if using the appropriate fraction is fairer.

Last edited:

mjsw13

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry guys, didn't realise I'd left one score out. Player B scored 4 on Hole 13.

Just a bit confused about it all, as the club awarded the victory to Player A, but on the HowDidIDo site, Player B was ahead for that round....

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
B has actually scored 34 with the 13th still to count. Take off his 2.5 and he has 31.5 with one hole to come , A has 35 minus his 0.5 which gives him 34.5 total. B needs to have shot a birdie on 13 just to tie and go to the last 6 holes countback.

Just to confirm this , you only get half your handicap as its a 9 hole countback. It doesnt have anythiing to do with shot holes.

I agree with this. It's the standard way count-backs are done.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Swearie words are what certain uncouth types use when they play a bad shot. Me? I merely exclaim things like, "Oh dearie me, there goes another wayward shot into the boondocks." My playing companions would no doubt swear to this as the truth. "Like **** he does," I can hear them cry.