Could I be fitted for wrong shafts?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Look at this way, You've been fitted for them now and they have been ordered. Wait until they come and go back on the launch monitor and see what they go like. If it looks like you have not been fitted correctly then I suggest you speak to the manager.
Unfortunately you'd be hitting them in the same shop you baught them in. They can be very creative with the trackman settings when they want to be. Especially when they're looking down the barrel of a refund

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

On the basis of that answer alone, you could very well be fitted incorrectly.

When the clubs arrive, check the fitting data and if they don't make sense, don't accept them. The fit is part of the purchase and if they have sold you a bad fit, you can demand it is rectified.

PX6.0 is a lowish launch shaft in a stiff flex. It is also quite a heavy shaft, and a lighter one is more common for a slower swing speed player.

Are you sure it is the original PX, which is not a common fit these days?. PX LZ seems more common now.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
While you are waiting, get yourself to a place that has the Mizuno optimiser and see what 3 shafts it throws out. Make a note of them, shaft brand, flex, weight.

Where are you based?

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll leave that question for some one else as I'm not sure.

From what I know about American Golf teye do not accept returns on Custom Fit unless they got delivered faulty. But on the other hand they have the responsibility to give you what you paid for, so IF they screwed up the fitting then you can use that to get your money returned. At the end of the day the manager does not want bad publicity and if it is clear that tehy fitting was srewed up he will want ot help put it right. Failing that you contact coorporate and let them deal with it.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
From what I know about American Golf teye do not accept returns on Custom Fit unless they got delivered faulty. But on the other hand they have the responsibility to give you what you paid for, so IF they screwed up the fitting then you can use that to get your money returned. At the end of the day the manager does not want bad publicity and if it is clear that tehy fitting was srewed up he will want ot help put it right. Failing that you contact coorporate and let them deal with it.

If I was fitted in a way that was evidently quite wrong, I would threaten to sue them. They have a liability and a duty of care to fit you properly. You could also involve the manufacturer, and if you paid by credit card, the credit card company. If a tailor measured you up and the jacket that arrived was three inches short in the sleeve, would you take it?.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I was fitted in a way that was evidently quite wrong, I would threaten to sue them. They have a liability and a duty of care to fit you properly. You could also involve the manufacturer, and if you paid by credit card, the credit card company. If a tailor measured you up and the jacket that arrived was three inches short in the sleeve, would you take it?.

That's is what I am saying, do not take them if they are not right. But do not go in there with the attitude of them not being right. Once they open the box go to the net and hit a few, if they do not feel correct then bring up about not being fitted properly.

I do not trust AG overall. I had a good fitting off them once when they were at Thorpe Wood in Peterborough and was over the moon with what they fitted me for. I had always played the TTDG S400 because I liked the weight. They got me to go for the X100 and I loved it. But I have also had horror shows in there shop, like the person that saw me hit 5 balls then did some arm measuring, went to the PING chart and told me the specs that I need for the Taylormade clubs.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
OP- did you have your ‘normal’ swing during the fitting? Reason I ask is some people try chasing the numbers on trackman and try swinging harder and faster than usual. This could screw up the fitting

Fabia999

Visit site
I'm not sure the qualifications needed at AG to become a fitter but I imagine it's not as much as a local golf pro has. I would probably seek out advise from your local pro and do some online research to see your options.

As many have mentioned above, mid 60s swing and they have put you in ProjectX 6.0 shaft seems miles out. Hopefully the manager at AG has some knowledge so knows this.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a Mizuno fit from a Mizuno fitter and the recommendation was for S flex I opted not to take up the recommendation based upon personal experience of S flex although I did stick with the recommendation of a heavier shaft.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a Mizuno fit from a Mizuno fitter and the recommendation was for S flex I opted not to take up the recommendation based upon personal experience of S flex although I did stick with the recommendation of a heavier shaft.

Fitting is part science, part art. I would say that S flex varies a lot, mostly due to weight but also some other playing characteristics. A PX6.0 or a TTDG S400 is going to feel very different from a NS Pro 850 or C-Taper Lite in Stiff. There is a trend to offer stiffer flex but in a lighter shaft to some players.

D

Deleted member 1147

Fitting is part science, part art. I would say that S flex varies a lot, mostly due to weight but also some other playing characteristics. A PX6.0 or a TTDG S400 is going to feel very different from a NS Pro 850 or C-Taper Lite in Stiff. There is a trend to offer stiffer flex but in a lighter shaft to some players.
That’s what I have, x flex in a lighter shaft. As my swing has a slower tempo than most, I can’t use a heavier shaft as well as those with quick tempo.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Could you talk us through the fitting?

Most fittings, even poor ones, involve your input. So I'd assume you saw the performance of each of the shafts and agreed to some extent with the fitter?

At 60mph head speed the shafts will make little or no difference, many prominent golfers question the difference shafts make full stop, when conpared to strike.

My tuppence worth is that I dont believe modern shafts have a significant impact on ball flight, but do effect feel and strike. I think the 6.0s may have provided the feel you liked and a (more) consistent strike? Even at the cost of some clubhead speed. I definitely wouldnt rule out the suitability of the clubs on what you read on the internet!!

Take for instance the recent trend on tour to use the autoflex shaft, which is getting close to ladies flex, despite club head speeds of 120mph...

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've got the project X 120g 6.0 in my irons and I did that to get a lower more penetrating ball flight.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It could be the Pxi 6.0 shaft which is a lighter version and higher launching? Especially if you'd specifically requested higher launching as something you were looking for

gopher99

Visit site
I will second the AG at thorpe wood, I was fitted for a Sim2 driver and it was done on trackman and my shots were taken outside where you can see the ball flight. In your fitting Ernie was it mentioned that you were hitting the ball too high? They could have put you in these shafts because of that reason, you may spin the ball too much.

Skypilot

Assistant Pro
Visit site
And if there is a difference bear in mind its now 5 weeks in and due in a week or so and finance all in place?
Do I have to take them out of the shop if they are not right?
You could always get a fitting somewhere else. You'd probably have to pay, but better that than taking away clubs totally unsuitable for you.
If the second fitting was significantly different I think you could make the point to AG, that their fitting of you was totally wrong and therefore, you are cancelling the clubs.
You may also be able to cancel if the lead time for delivery was different to what you'd been told.

Skypilot

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was fitted by AG in early May. The guy (Dan - Peterborough) was a disaster.
I posted my experience on the forum.
I'll reprint it below....
Just thought I'd resurrect this thread to have a rant about an American Golf fitting I had last week.
Luckily I had a good idea of what my requirements were, and what I wanted, based on previous fittings.
I'd had a fitting when I bought my current clubs 6 years ago. I was about to change them just before the lockdowns started and I had another fitting then with a different fitter who came out with more or less the same requirements as my previous fitting.
Anyway.....
Lockdowns over so I decided I'd pull the trigger on some new clubs, and may as well take advantage of AG's free fitting service.
The guy was just absolutely useless. I genuinely believe he knew nothing about golf or fitting and was just trying to bluff his way through.
Examples
On shafts. He felt swing speed was irrelevant, it was just what felt ok. When asked about the different Flex options he said "All flex is the same, they're just different weights. Senior weights are very light, stiff shafts are very heavy"
On clubs. I told him I may not get long irons in my new set and asked what Hybrids and Woods equate in distance to 4 + 5 irons (I had a good idea but was testing him at this stage) "Ah, that's easy. You just look at the degrees of each club and get the same in Hybrids and Woods"
On club length. Always been fitted as .5" longer but didn't tell him that. "Er, doesn't really matter, whatever feels right"
On Lie Angle. Same as above.
It went on and on.
How can they let someone carry out a fitting when they've got absolutely no idea.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Outside of Ctaper the PX is pretty much the lowest launching spinning shaft on the market... combined with what will inevitably be low lofted irons this is a distaster...

Do you know what your numbers were from the fitting? The 6.0 is also about 125g and at 60mph with a 6iron I’d have expected you to be in a shaft around 80-90g at most....

Something isn’t right