Coul Links planning refused

D

Deleted member 15344

Just pop and ask Trump to put his name to it - that should get it sorted

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I've kind of gone full circle on this from really wanting it to not actually caring, although I am surprised by this.

Ultimately Scotland has enough golf courses (arguably too many in some cases) and the current course opening at Dumbarnie has made me realise that as I had no real inclination to play it, although may be tempted by the Scottish residents price. At £235 full whack, it's clearly being priced as 'reassuringly expensive' for rich tourists. No doubt Coul Links would be similar, when / if it happens.

But really, what is one more course in a huge number of world class links and resorts?

I appreciate that Coul might make the highlands more of a main area for people to build a trip around - rather than just do a day trip to Dornoch, but if there was really a market for it - why not redevelop or refurbish one of the other courses up there into a top-end links with lodges and a hotel? .

Or buy some other coastline that isn't an SSSI?

They can pretty much move as much sand and soil as they want to create any kind of dunescape or oldey links.

Also - perhaps fair to say if Trump Aberdeen had happened with Mike Keiser then locals and planners I'm sure would take a different view on similar developments.

User20204

Visit site
Absolutely brilliant news.

Quite pleased myself. I have no idea where it is or any axe to grind just happy that those with financial weight aren't allowed to just bully their way to getting what they want.

After what happened with Trump it seems the wool hasn't been pulled over the eyes of those who decide, hope they lose on appeal.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Disappointing news for me, would have loved the chance to play a Coore and Crenshaw design in the future. Hopefully and appeal and renewed application can be made to satisfy any issues raised. It certainly would have been good for the area to have the business that would come with the new course.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Do we really need more courses when others are closing at a rate of knots?

Different markets but the sound of it. Local muni £15 a round struggle - £250 a round, booming. Lower end of the market, over supplied. Top end aimed at tourists, more please! (apparently)

So, courses in Scotland, if things are tight, charge £200 and advertise in American Holiday sites. Tell them Rob Roy played Mary Queen of Scots there and they'll be queuing round the block.

D

Deleted member 15344

Do we really need more courses when others are closing at a rate of knots?

Don’t believe it’s a case of “need”

These courses aren’t aimed at us - they are purely for the rich yanks who happy to pay £300 a round and will flood to it.

Just think of how much they could charge for a trip to there then Dornoch and Castle Stuart - the Yanks would love it

User20204

Visit site
Different markets but the sound of it. Local muni £15 a round struggle - £250 a round, booming. Lower end of the market, over supplied. Top end aimed at tourists, more please! (apparently)

So, courses in Scotland, if things are tight, charge £200 and advertise in American Holiday sites. Tell them Rob Roy played Mary Queen of Scots there and they'll be queuing round the block.

Absolute fact.

Our pro told us the yanks turn their nose up at our course cause it's too cheap despite.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Disappointing news for me, would have loved the chance to play a Coore and Crenshaw design in the future. Hopefully and appeal and renewed application can be made to satisfy any issues raised. It certainly would have been good for the area to have the business that would come with the new course.

Selfish? Surely a hugely important natural site is more important than yet another golf course for rich folks? Plenty work already in Scotland for those willing to do it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
just speasking to a mate thats a member at Dornoch and he said the initial planning for the new clubhouse at Dornoch had been refused too... highland council ob holding out for a bigger back hander

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Selfish? Surely a hugely important natural site is more important than yet another golf course for rich folks? Plenty work already in Scotland for those willing to do it.

No not selfish at all. Personally I would like to see the course built and the land put to good use.

And it's not just a course for rich folks, it's a course for anyone that wants to play it. It's not like they were proposing a private course that you could only be invited to play. Also I personally think having a core and crenshaw design in scotland would be a good thing.

Yep there is work available for those that want it, but this course would have given people more of a reason to stay in the area for a few days and play the courses in stead of just a passing visit to Dornoch.

Taylor&Made

Visit site
Why would a local Government office or for that matter a Scottish Government hold out for a ransom, are they that cocky and confident now?