Cost Of Soft Stepping

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well. Got them back last night. Just waiting on my grips from Gamola now and hopefully have them in play for the weekend.

I don't know if I was told a little porky, or if maybe he rotated the shaft in his frequency machine until he got the right frequency, but he said they're all playing at a hair over 5.6 now.
He also found a 5.5 shaft that read 5.6 in the machine to put in the 3 iron.

I can only assume that the reading from my 6 iron when I took them in was a false one due to having the grip still on :D

Who knows. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating :)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Errrrrrrr, not sure to be honest. I hit a few shots on Saturday that had a horrible clunky feeling like I was hitting a rock, but it could have been the frozen ground because I hit down on the ball quite a lot.

I'm worried that even though the guy obviously knows what he's doing, that something's not quite right with my clubs. I'll have to wait until I play in sensible conditions to put my mind at rest.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Although I am not convinced that it is possible to say they were out of spec based on frequency testing, it should certainly be possible to show that the effect of the soft stepping, a reduction in frequency, was achieved, and also that they were matched and could be plotted on a graph as a straight line against length. If so, then you should be getting what you want from them, and I would give it a bit of time for you to get used to them.

steve

Club Champion
Visit site
hi region,i took my mate for a driver fitting with the same guy,after deciding on a callaway my mate asked could he have one with a shorter shaft he said no problem and took us to his workshop(small room in his flat)where he put the shaft under a chop saw and chopped an inch off,he then re gripped it and sent us on our way.This pretty much knackered the driver making it far to stiff.I am sure this is not how its done on tour.If i were you i would get a pro to have a hit with your irons and get his opinion,as after my experience with this tour fitter i wouldn't let him anywhere near my clubs.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Although I am not convinced that it is possible to say they were out of spec based on frequency testing, it should certainly be possible to show that the effect of the soft stepping, a reduction in frequency, was achieved, and also that they were matched and could be plotted on a graph as a straight line against length. If so, then you should be getting what you want from them, and I would give it a bit of time for you to get used to them.

I'm quite sure that they're softer and am very happy in that respect. I hit a few irons on the range, and some shots on the course (can't remember which clubs though) that just felt awful off the face. Not miss-hit awful, just something wrong with the contact.

With the ground as it is though I could have caught the ground first without hitting it fat, that's why I said I'll have to wait for softer ground to be sure.

The only things I can think of that might not be my fault were if the shafts weren't fitted into the heads right (unlikely I would've thought for a clubmaker) or if he made them 2deg upright instead of flat and I'm hitting everything toe first.

Having said all that, it's more than likely just me.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
hi region,i took my mate for a driver fitting with the same guy,after deciding on a callaway my mate asked could he have one with a shorter shaft he said no problem and took us to his workshop(small room in his flat)where he put the shaft under a chop saw and chopped an inch off,he then re gripped it and sent us on our way.This pretty much knackered the driver making it far to stiff.I am sure this is not how its done on tour.If i were you i would get a pro to have a hit with your irons and get his opinion,as after my experience with this tour fitter i wouldn't let him anywhere near my clubs.

You sure it's the same guy Steve? I visited him in a warehouse bigger than American Golf.