Correct marking when taking relief from a staked tree.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
What hacked me off was them not saying anything until I picked my ball up and then calling the penalty.

To be fair, they wouldn't be able to call any penalty for not marking your ball until you picked it up. They probably assumed you were going to mark it first.
For the few seconds it takes to mark it, you could have had a much more enjoyable round.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't mark the ball. Leave it in place until you have determined whether or not the drop area is likely to be favourable. At least you can change your mind if it is going to leave you in the middle of a patch of gorse.
Once you have lifted your ball you are committed to the drop unless you are prepared to take the penalty for putting it back.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Don't mark the ball. Leave it in place until you have determined whether or not the drop area is likely to be favourable. At least you can change your mind if it is going to leave you in the middle of a patch of gorse.
Once you have lifted your ball you are committed to the drop unless you are prepared to take the penalty for putting it back.

That's a different issue! Though one certainly worth remembering. A ref once related the story of a player in a tournament who picked his ball up to take (free) relief from a path - without considering where NPR was - and eventually decided the best option was to return to the tee, as NPR was actually in a bush! Always weigh the options and decide 'best' before picking the ball up was his message.

@MadAdey. I'd always agree that relief and was allowed - and NPR - before lifting, so your 'what if' wouldn't apply.

As others have posted, there's no requirement to mark. But it does no harm - except possibly contributing to a myth - and can possibly help 'smooth' a match/round. I don't think I mark - except NPR and limit of Drop - though. Bit awkward marking in the virtually equivalent relief from man-made road too!

Last edited:
G

guest100718

if you just go and mark out the NPR of relief and drop the ball, what happens if your playing against me and question why you have taken a drop. At least if you have marked the ball there can't be any confusion and if needed the ball can be replaced.

My ball lands somewhere I can get a free drop from. I establish NPR, ,mark my drop area, lift my ball and drop it in said area. I see no reason at all why marking the ball would be of any help whatsoever.

In a matchplay scenario I would call over my oppo and tell him I am entitled to a free drop prior to any of the above. He would most likely stick around and watch or say cool and wander back to his ball if it is still him away.

We establlshed at the start of the thread that there is no need to mark the ball, yet a number of people still reccomend you should, this only goes to re inforce the BS rule to to others.