Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Way back in early March a very dear friend was told that the various treatments and medicines had stopped working and that the tumours(metastisised) located throughout her body were growing again. The only option left to slow them down again was to have another course of chemo. All it would do was buy some more time. Without it she had 2 weeks to live.

And then along came lockdown. As was feared her chemo date was pushed back indefinitely, initially. Her chemo started in week 3. I have never known anyone be so ill, and in so many different ways. Chemo would be stopped, because she was so ill, and then restarted, then stopped, then restarted. During the next 6 months she also had numerous visits and stays in hospital, blood transfusions, drains etc. All those visits and stays were done alone.

Early Sept she was told her body couldn't take any more chemo and that all they could do was provide palliative care. I spoke to her, via Skype, in early October 5 days before she died. The images will haunt me for a long, long time.

Her ambition when she went through her first round of chemo mid 2019 was to see Christmas. And her ambition this year when she was offered chemo was to see Christmas this year. Did having the chemo pushed back 3 weeks mean she missed Christmas? Who knows, but when I see and hear people ignoring the lockdown rules, and giving all sorts of excuses I could quite literally take a base ball bat to them. If they won't do it for themselves there's plenty of people who need them to do it.

That sounds bad. It is very difficult to do the 'if only ...' thing in a situation like that. I doubt the 3 week delay made much of a difference. It sounds like she gave it a good fight but was always going to lose.

From a personal point of view, when my number is up and the ticket booked, I am not sure I want too many heroic treatments like chemo. I think for some people (not your friend, necessarily), end of life treatments prolong death rather then life. Each to their own, though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

Way back in early March a very dear friend was told that the various treatments and medicines had stopped working and that the tumours(metastisised) located throughout her body were growing again. The only option left to slow them down again was to have another course of chemo. All it would do was buy some more time. Without it she had 2 weeks to live.

And then along came lockdown. As was feared her chemo date was pushed back indefinitely, initially. Her chemo started in week 3. I have never known anyone be so ill, and in so many different ways. Chemo would be stopped, because she was so ill, and then restarted, then stopped, then restarted. During the next 6 months she also had numerous visits and stays in hospital, blood transfusions, drains etc. All those visits and stays were done alone.

Early Sept she was told her body couldn't take any more chemo and that all they could do was provide palliative care. I spoke to her, via Skype, in early October 5 days before she died. The images will haunt me for a long, long time.

Her ambition when she went through her first round of chemo mid 2019 was to see Christmas. And her ambition this year when she was offered chemo was to see Christmas this year. Did having the chemo pushed back 3 weeks mean she missed Christmas? Who knows, but when I see and hear people ignoring the lockdown rules, and giving all sorts of excuses I could quite literally take a base ball bat to them. If they won't do it for themselves there's plenty of people who need them to do it.
Couldn’t of put it better myself Bri. Unfortunately too many selfish people who don’t think it affects them.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site

I’ve been through similar this year with my girlfriend having to isolate and basically see no one because of her chemotherapy, and then other people just seem carefree as “it only affects old, fat people”.

This year has brought the worst out in a lot of people.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
This year has brought the worst out in a lot of people.

I am genuinely looking forward to seeing how we have all changed when this is all over.

I’m generally a glass half full person, and am clinging to the hope that this awful period has made some of us more tolerant, and certainly more able to see life in a decent perspective.

It might be only small, but there will be some good come from all this. There has to be.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I am genuinely looking forward to seeing how we have all changed when this is all over.

I’m generally a glass half full person, and am clinging to the hope that this awful period has made some of us more tolerant, and certainly more able to see life in a decent perspective.

It might be only small, but there will be some good come from all this. There has to be.
There won’t be any good from this year for me, I’m afraid. Without doubt it’s the worst year of my life and nothing could possibly happen to even slightly soften the pain I’m enduring at the moment. But I hope others can find some happiness from the madness around us.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know that this business of restrictions has been a real pain for some, far more than for some others, but are not some of us mystified as to why now, just as the vaccine is so near, is it being encouraged/permitted for people to meet indoors ( beyond households/bubbles).
It is this that has spread the virus into the second spike. It will do so again.
Those that know about these things, Sage and our own Ethan here, have been saying this, and yet we are inviting chaos to raise its ugly head just before the vaccine is here.
They only listen to the science when it suits them.
Anyone surprised.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There won’t be any good from this year for me, I’m afraid. Without doubt it’s the worst year of my life and nothing could possibly happen to even slightly soften the pain I’m enduring at the moment. But I hope others can find some happiness from the madness around us.
Well I hope things improve for you going forward.
Been a mad year your right there.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After my post yesterday I just want to publicly thank a few people for the messages of support I recieved. I won't embarrass them by naming but they know who they are, thank you.
Like I said I feel even worse for feeling like this as I know there are many people, both out in the real world and on here, going through far far worse than me, but itis what it is and its something I've got to deal with. Knowing that I am not alone in that is big help in itself.
So with that in mind, if anyone else could do with a chat, or a rant or whatever, the DM button is always available(y)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seriously hoping that my area returns to Tier 1 as it was before the lockdown. Selfish I know but if we are put in to tier 2 it could be March before I get to meet up with any of my friends in the village (in laws won't back down on us going their for Xmas if allowed despite it meaning that they are the only people we will get to see, potentially until March, if the lockdown is set at tier 2). May seem small minded but I have not met up with anyone outside of work for a while now and the thought if keeping that up for another 4 months (including my birthday) is filling me with a bit of dread. Having worked solidly without a day off since last Xmas, I could really do with a 5 day relaxation of rules where I can meet friends and let loose a bit but any break over Xmas will be spend sat at the inlaws.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seriously hoping that my area returns to Tier 1 as it was before the lockdown. Selfish I know but if we are put in to tier 2 it could be March before I get to meet up with any of my friends in the village (in laws won't back down on us going their for Xmas if allowed despite it meaning that they are the only people we will get to see, potentially until March, if the lockdown is set at tier 2). May seem small minded but I have not met up with anyone outside of work for a while now and the thought if keeping that up for another 4 months (including my birthday) is filling me with a bit of dread. Having worked solidly without a day off since last Xmas, I could really do with a 5 day relaxation of rules where I can meet friends and let loose a bit but any break over Xmas will be spend sat at the inlaws.

I would brace for Tier 2 being the new normal for most of England, and some places not too far away from you will be in Tier 3.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would brace for Tier 2 being the new normal for most of England, and some places not too far away from you will be in Tier 3.

Pretty much what I am expecting. With Tier 3 areas on most of the Lincolnshire boarders then it was almost inevitable that we would be moving up the tiers at some stage. Only hope we have is that we are South Kesteven and so not as bad as some areas of Lincolnshire are.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
That sounds bad. It is very difficult to do the 'if only ...' thing in a situation like that. I doubt the 3 week delay made much of a difference. It sounds like she gave it a good fight but was always going to lose.

From a personal point of view, when my number is up and the ticket booked, I am not sure I want too many heroic treatments like chemo. I think for some people (not your friend, necessarily), end of life treatments prolong death rather then life. Each to their own, though.

"end of life treatments prolong death rather then life"

And I had never looked it like that before. ☹?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

A few years ago, there was a survey conducted among doctors about whether they would accept chemo and other treatments if they had terminal cancer, and there was a higher rejection rate than in a parallel survey of the general public.

D

Deleted member 21258

We are all going to die, just a case of when and how.

Really depends on your outlook, bit like half glass/half empty outlook.

My dad went though hell on his journey battle with cancer, certainly not something I would ever wish to travel the same path, as I value quality over quantity, already given my thoughts to my family if something happens to me.

However, he would have done anything to extend his life, was always his outlook, far play to him and I took off my hat to him, more than once on that journey.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
A few years ago, there was a survey conducted among doctors about whether they would accept chemo and other treatments if they had terminal cancer, and there was a higher rejection rate than in a parallel survey of the general public.

My dad certainly stopped treatment once it was clear that there was nothing to be done. Diagnosed in the December, passed on 1st March. Less than 12 weeks in all.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I quoted ethans post as me and Missis T both have elderly parents. His comment may well be used as advice in the coming years, hopefully decades.
Oddly enough me and Missis T were smiling the other day saying our problems through this Covid seem to be dealing with other peoples and families problems. It’s what I call a happy problem.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

I've played golf for many years with a GP. He had strong views on prolonging death and was in favour of assisted death. I agree with him. We wouldn't let a dog suffer but argue that a human should...

The young lady, 47, I spoke of earlier in the thread always said she wouldn't have chemo but changed her mind when there was no other choice.

I'm all for a bottle of pills and a damn good single malt.