Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
No. Few in the queue will have Covid, and it is outdoors, which massively reduces risk, and even then you would have to get close for a period of time to a case.

Thank you. Thought that may be the case but nice to have some reassurance.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
They will be told when they are offered a vaccine according to a friend in the trial.

The protocols are sometimes a little different from study to study, but in general people will be told after the blind is broken, and that happens after the database is locked. That should be independent of the national vaccination programme, so you shouldn't have to wait longer to know if you happen to be in a low priority part of the population. It is also normal practice for people who take part in a trial such as this to be offered the real vaccine, ahead of the usual population rollout, if they are found to have been randomly allocated to placebo. Those who received the vaccine will be followed up for longer term safety and efficacy study.

4LEX

Visit site
Anyone that is struggling like Saint Hacker, just hang in there. Another week of this then golf and Christmas to look forward to. January will be a bad month but isn't it always? The vaccine roll out will be well underway and evenings getting lighter as we head into February. It'll get better with each week. Just think of spring in the air, Easter approaching, all the bank holidays to come and the buzz of appreciating all the small things again. You might even have a good golf year and be moaning about people not taking the pin out ;)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just seen on the itv news.
When we come out of lockdown, tier 2 can have longer hours in the pub.
But tier 3 can’t open at all.
This seems illogical to me as longer hours in the pub could mean moving from tier 2 to tier 3.
People can’t need a drink that much surley. But suppose some do!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone that is struggling like Saint Hacker, just hang in there. Another week of this then golf and Christmas to look forward to. January will be a bad month but isn't it always? The vaccine roll out will be well underway and evenings getting lighter as we head into February. It'll get better with each week. Just think of spring in the air, Easter approaching, all the bank holidays to come and the buzz of appreciating all the small things again. You might even have a good golf year and be moaning about people not taking the pin out ;)
Yes our stupid little problems seem very small when you see people really struggling.
It won’t be long let’s hang in there.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
This seems illogical to me as longer hours in the pub could mean moving from tier 2 to tier 3.

The proposal as I see it is that last orders are still at 10.00 but an hour of drinking up time allowed to try and reduce the crowds on the streets with everyone leaving at the same time.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

I guess some of it is how you look at your local pub. In my village it is one of the central hubs of the community. People just go there to chat. Many people who are own their own use it as their main place of social contact but a local village pub serves a very different function in life. At present, the landlord is providing free meals to the over 70s in the community to make sure they are doing OK.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The proposal as I see it is that last orders are still at 10.00 but an hour of drinking up time allowed to try and reduce the crowds on the streets with everyone leaving at the same time.
That just means order enough to last you until 11 pm then all spill on the streets at 11pm not 10pm.
Might make sense for the pubs profits but that’s all imo.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I guess some of it is how you look at your local pub. In my village it is one of the central hubs of the community. People just go there to chat. Many people who are own their own use it as their main place of social contact but a local village pub serves a very different function in life. At present, the landlord is providing free meals to the over 70s in the community to make sure they are doing OK.
That sounds great and good on the landlord.
But it’s very different in a big City.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
That sounds great and good on the landlord.
But it’s very different in a big City.

It is but I just wanted to put across a point that pubs, certainly in rural communities, play an important role and so the calls by some to get pubs open is sometimes based on their wider reaching significance to a community as opposed to just a need to meet up with mates and get hammered.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is but I just wanted to put across a point that pubs, certainly in rural communities, play an important role and so the calls by some to get pubs open is sometimes based on their wider reaching significance to a community as opposed to just a need to meet up with mates and get hammered.
Yes I do get that.
Unfortunately they are treating them like outdoor sport.
All closed no matter the risk factor.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes I do get that.
Unfortunately they are treating them like outdoor sport.
All closed no matter the risk factor.

Sort of agree with it at the moment. The risk at my pub is minimal but the difficulty of differentiating between risks and then the issue of stopping people from the nearby towns coming to safe village pubs if their pub is shut is just too much to enforce at the moment. Sometimes have to accept that a hammer is being used to crack a nut simply because it is far too difficult or long winded to find the nut crackers.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sort of agree with it at the moment. The risk at my pub is minimal but the difficulty of differentiating between risks and then the issue of stopping people from the nearby towns coming to safe village pubs if their pub is shut is just too much to enforce at the moment. Sometimes have to accept that a hammer is being used to crack a nut simply because it is far too difficult or long winded to find the nut crackers.
Yes that’s hit the nail on the head.
If your pub was open everyone from nearby towns/ city would travel there to have a drink.
You are then putting your residents in danger.
No real answer to this .

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Yes that’s hit the nail on the head.
If your pub was open everyone from nearby towns/ city would travel there to have a drink.
You are then putting your residents in danger.
No real answer to this .

I know that this business of restrictions has been a real pain for some, far more than for some others, but are not some of us mystified as to why now, just as the vaccine is so near, is it being encouraged/permitted for people to meet indoors ( beyond households/bubbles).
It is this that has spread the virus into the second spike. It will do so again.
Those that know about these things, Sage and our own Ethan here, have been saying this, and yet we are inviting chaos to raise its ugly head just before the vaccine is here.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Why is it that common sense means that faced with a highly contagious virus spread by social interaction we still need the Government to TELL us what to do.

And then complain when they do!

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why is it that common sense means that faced with a highly contagious virus spread by social interaction we still need the Government to TELL us what to do.

And then complain when they do!

I find the gov need to set a limit ...you get those who obey.. those who will break it slightly (for example one household bubble will be 2 bubbles) and those who ignore it

You hope enough people go for a slight break and it balances out the people who ignore

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have things all planned out up to about Easter now, in a way any lockdowns can’t throw it off track.

The rules look like they will allow the normal Christmas Day we would have had with households mixing but rules out the interactions either side, reducing us from over 6 households and over 30 people down to what the rules allow.

It is a waiting game to see what rules allow and what each households want to and which dont want to mix as I think there will be contrasting views amongst the groups.

I’m hoping we keep mixing minimal and stay with our current split so only two household mix at maximum, that means 5 at our Xmas table and over any period of rules relaxed. Two may mix with another household or more but who knows how the rules work yet!

We are all pretty compromising but i wonder what might happen elsewhere where tensions exist and people may get left the wrong side of a line.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Way back in early March a very dear friend was told that the various treatments and medicines had stopped working and that the tumours(metastisised) located throughout her body were growing again. The only option left to slow them down again was to have another course of chemo. All it would do was buy some more time. Without it she had 2 weeks to live.

And then along came lockdown. As was feared her chemo date was pushed back indefinitely, initially. Her chemo started in week 3. I have never known anyone be so ill, and in so many different ways. Chemo would be stopped, because she was so ill, and then restarted, then stopped, then restarted. During the next 6 months she also had numerous visits and stays in hospital, blood transfusions, drains etc. All those visits and stays were done alone.

Early Sept she was told her body couldn't take any more chemo and that all they could do was provide palliative care. I spoke to her, via Skype, in early October 5 days before she died. The images will haunt me for a long, long time.

Her ambition when she went through her first round of chemo mid 2019 was to see Christmas. And her ambition this year when she was offered chemo was to see Christmas this year. Did having the chemo pushed back 3 weeks mean she missed Christmas? Who knows, but when I see and hear people ignoring the lockdown rules, and giving all sorts of excuses I could quite literally take a base ball bat to them. If they won't do it for themselves there's plenty of people who need them to do it.