Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
So this coronavirus stuff then - cases and deaths dropping in regards the 14 day average , R number dropping - maybe this mini lockdown was worth it

With the vaccines starting to appear maybe we will beat this sooner than expected

I thought I’d joined a thread about police brutality. Thanks for getting us back on track.

Roll on 2021 and scientific salvation.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Suits me fine as (a) I do know about dogs and (b) I don't want to hear more of your holier than thou posting suggesting the police can do no wrong.

Where have I said the police can do no wrong? Nowhere. I’ve been around police officers for a lifetime, and worked amongst them for thirty years. The vast majority are great. Some get it wrong, sometimes badly. Of those who get it wrong some make mistakes and some are dishonest, corrupt, and hide behind their uniforms as a way of bullying people. Nobody knows more than a police officer how wrong the police sometimes get it.

But I will always defend the organisation I work for when it comes in for narrow minded criticism from people who, in the main, do not have the foggiest idea what goes on in the world of policing. You call that being holier than thou? That’s your opinion. But I’m not going to roll over and have my tummy tickled (forgive the canine analogy), just to satisfy the likes of you.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I used that word as a more concise way to sum up what you described. Sorry if it was misplaced. I think we're splitting hairs to be honest but what does the dog do if the suspect it's chasing doesn't stop?

Its a good point you make. Does a dog "attack," or does it restrain? I don't know. Does the level of force the dog exerts correspond to how much a 'suspect' fights it off? Does the level of training a dog receives 'see' the only tactic a dog uses is to grab the arm?

Even humans cross the line, and I'm sure a dog can too. And if a suspect jerks their arm away does the grab(bite) become a tear?

But to take it back to the beginning. A suspect was involved in a criminal act. The suspect was part of a group that attacked the police. Were drink and drugs involved? In an emotionally charged incident bad things happen. They shouldn't but they do. As far as I'm concerned there's almost a knock for knock side to this. Bad things happen. Don't break the law and those things don't happen. Yes, investigate to see if the dog/handler 'lost it,' but other than that its part and parcel of bad things can happen.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So this coronavirus stuff then - cases and deaths dropping in regards the 14 day average , R number dropping - maybe this mini lockdown was worth it

With the vaccines starting to appear maybe we will beat this sooner than expected

Certainly hope so. Now if we could just educate the moronic anti vaccine lot there might be hope for us.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
“Up to four households could possibly mix for a number of days over Christmas”

So we’ve gone from “don’t kill a granny” to “kill your own granny”.

Excellent. Top shelf comedy.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I used that word as a more concise way to sum up what you described. Sorry if it was misplaced. I think we're splitting hairs to be honest but what does the dog do if the suspect it's chasing doesn't stop?

Hobbit has it right in restrain. The dog is trained to grab the arm so that the suspect cannot continue to run. If the suspect stops and stands still, the dog is trained to circle & bark to contain the suspect until the officer gets to the scene & takes over.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think tody is the first time I've admitte to myself that I'm starting to struggle. The first lockdown wasn't too bad, the weather was great, I was furloghed the kids were off etc, it was liveable with, but I don't like winter months at the best of times and this year I'm really starting to feel it. I'm sick of the whoe thing now, sick of living like this, not being able to play the game I love (and hate) despite it being probably the most covid secure thing you do. Sick of having remembering to grab a bloody mask before I go out anywhere, sick of being told I can't go out anyway, sick of being talked to like a piece of dog crap for daring to ask someone to put a mask on on public transport, for them to wave an 'exemption card', which they've downloaded off the web, in my face because wearing a bit of cloth over their face for a few minutes makes them a bit anxious and they can't breathe. No, you can't breath because you're the weight of a horse and you smoke 40 B+H a day you fat selfish slob. But I can't say that as I will lose my job so I just have to smile politely and get on with it, whilst getting more grief from mask wearing passengers for not enforcing the mask rule. I'm sick of my childrens education being harmed as they constantly have to take time off due to another child/teacher testing positive. The job I loved disappeared, literally overnight, and there's no sign of it coming back any time soon. I just want this over now and some kind of normality to return, but when/what will that be? The government that I once had faith in now don't seem to have a bloody clue and we're just going round in cirles.
And all the while people are dying in their hundreds, and I feel incredibly selfish for writing what I have becasue of that.
Sorry for the rant, hoping getting it off my chest a bit helps

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think tody is the first time I've admitte to myself that I'm starting to struggle. The first lockdown wasn't too bad, the weather was great, I was furloghed the kids were off etc, it was liveable with, but I don't like winter months at the best of times and this year I'm really starting to feel it. I'm sick of the whoe thing now, sick of living like this, not being able to play the game I love (and hate) despite it being probably the most covid secure thing you do. Sick of having remembering to grab a bloody mask before I go out anywhere, sick of being told I can't go out anyway, sick of being talked to like a piece of dog crap for daring to ask someone to put a mask on on public transport, for them to wave an 'exemption card', which they've downloaded off the web, in my face because wearing a bit of cloth over their face for a few minutes makes them a bit anxious and they can't breathe. No, you can't breath because you're the weight of a horse and you smoke 40 B+H a day you fat selfish slob. But I can't say that as I will lose my job so I just have to smile politely and get on with it, whilst getting more grief from mask wearing passengers for not enforcing the mask rule. I'm sick of my childrens education being harmed as they constantly have to take time off due to another child/teacher testing positive. The job I loved disappeared, literally overnight, and there's no sign of it coming back any time soon. I just want this over now and some kind of normality to return, but when/what will that be? The government that I once had faith in now don't seem to have a bloody clue and we're just going round in cirles.
And all the while people are dying in their hundreds, and I feel incredibly selfish for writing what I have becasue of that.

Better out than in.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Suits me fine as (a) I do know about dogs and (b) I don't want to hear more of your holier than thou posting suggesting the police can do no wrong.

so you do't know about dogs but have to bash someone making expert, balanced and insightful comments! Well done - you win snowflake of the month award

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No gain without pain. This lockdown could be a darn site more restrictive at least we can get out for a walk or bike ride.

Getting it under control is very much in our own hands, we have to follow some easy to understand rules to reduce transmission but alas so many of us want to do as they want and return to normality.

We hope the vaccinations will open the way back to normality but alas I hear so many people saying they won't have it or they will wait to see if it creates bad side effects before they have it. I am ready and waiting for mine so I can get a degree of my former life back.

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

We went for a walk this afternoon because cabin fever was setting in. Like you I'm well and truly fed up with it now. Ideally, we'd be in London now seeing the new grandson and making sure the daughters were ok - all 3 of which have a issue at present. In fact we would have been back in the UK 3 months ago. We don't want to bring anything nasty back to 3 daughters who are vulnerable. When do we come back? After getting the vaccine? Mid-June?

What other people do, mask/no mask, party or whatever is up to them. We have a neighbour who completely ignored the first lockdown, and is doing the same with the current one we're halfway through. They know not to come knocking on my door if they get ill. I told them straight, if our other neighbours get it I have no problem doing whatever they need but if the selfish ones get it, they're on their own as far as I'm concerned.

All we can do is lower our expectations and make the most of what opportunities come our way. Hunker down, be safe and plan for the future. We're planning a big family bash in New York for next October, vaccine permitting.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

I have a real issue with the self-exemptions too. Asthma, COPD and a bunch of other conditions are reasons you really should wear a damn mask, not reasons not to. Kids with autism and people with a proper medically certified psychiatric condition such as trigeminal neuralgia where facial contact can be very painful, maybe, but that is about it.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
We went for a walk this afternoon because cabin fever was setting in. Like you I'm well and truly fed up with it now. Ideally, we'd be in London now seeing the new grandson and making sure the daughters were ok - all 3 of which have a issue at present. In fact we would have been back in the UK 3 months ago. We don't want to bring anything nasty back to 3 daughters who are vulnerable. When do we come back? After getting the vaccine? Mid-June?

What other people do, mask/no mask, party or whatever is up to them. We have a neighbour who completely ignored the first lockdown, and is doing the same with the current one we're halfway through. They know not to come knocking on my door if they get ill. I told them straight, if our other neighbours get it I have no problem doing whatever they need but if the selfish ones get it, they're on their own as far as I'm concerned.

All we can do is lower our expectations and make the most of what opportunities come our way. Hunker down, be safe and plan for the future. We're planning a big family bash in New York for next October, vaccine permitting.

Sounds like a plan, I’m changing my name to Elrond.:cool:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oxford/AZ results

Interesting results, showing good efficacy but not as good as Pfizer or Moderna. 90% reduction in the group who got a half dose then a full dose, 62% in the group who got 2 full doses with an overall effect of 70%. This seems counter-intuitive, so needs further explanation. Many of us suspected this might be the case. Still, likely to be available in large quantities and seemed to prevent people from getting severe disease.

I note that the studies were rather small, total less than 12,000 (2700 in the half-full group and 9000 in the 2 x full) compared with 30,000+ in Pfizer/Moderna. This must mean that very small numbers of subjects got Covid in the 90% subset, and the result must therefore have large confidence intervals around it.

Based on these results, I would probably prefer the Pfizer or Moderna, but this one is OK too.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I think we need to rethink the law a bit.
Anyone committing a criminal act should have their rights suspended until they stop that criminal act.
Far to many people think they can just do what they want.
Forget the dog argument, that’s been exhausted but surely we need to discuss this!

You think people should lose their human rights the moment they break the law? Who decides they’re breaking the law? The police? An impartial observer?

Methinks your suggestion is made in good faith but would purely be the act of a tyrannical nation. It’s the sort of thing you hear about in despicable countries like Saudi Arabia!

D

Deleted member 21258

Oxford University breakthrough on global COVID-19 vaccine | University of Oxford

Whilst disappointing at 70%(or the slightly weird reading 90% result), one of the most important factors is the number of severe cases with vaccine, who cares if the 30% all end up with say like a cold or perhaps worse(just trying to be positive) and it says :-
  • There were no hospitalised or severe cases in anyone who received the vaccine

So a great result and great news in the main, quicker to hit our shores . Feeling upbeat :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)