Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not impressed with online booking for the jab. I can get one in a couple of weeks at a local centre but the nearest it comes up with for second jab is Lancaster which it tells me is 50 miles away. It is actually 84 miles away so I will wait for a letter and get them both done locally.
I booked mine through the website on Saturday morning
Got the letter today so you may get yours by the weekend..

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So the inevitable happened last night, at just before 11:30pm he passed away. This is not a post for condolences, it's purely to finish the story given I had put various posts up about it. In the end it happened in the best way possible given what has happened over the last 3 months or so, mum was able to be there at the end and had spent the last few days with him, actually being able to be with him rather than just near him. For her it has made a huge difference and whilst it doesn't make losing her dad any easier it would have been a whole lot worse had it happened through a Perspex screen which I know a lot of others have had (and worse). I'm not sure how aware he was of her presence but you'd like to think that somewhere there was part of him who would have been felt that she was there.

He died aged 101yrs (and 6 months), would have been one of the final people alive (I think) who flew Spitfires in WWII. He ran a pub, loved cricket and was still drinking Guinness and playing Pétanque into his 90's in the local pub league. In the end it's a relief for the family, particularly mum and he's now at peace. He didn't die of Covid but he was definitely a victim of it.
Fantastic flying spitfires your right not many left.
Try and remember the first 100 yrs the last one wasn’t a good one.
Condolences to your family.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Reading people's tales, can't help but think I was lucky with the jab. Found out I was eligible on a Wednesday, was able to book a slot for the next day, and only place offered was 10 minutes walk away. I'm sure it's a bummer for those who are not finding it so straightforward.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Well after many months of no lockdown (but borders still mostly closed with mandated quarantine) there's been a cluster of 10 cases over the last couple of days stemming from an undisclosed source resulting in a total shutdown starting this morning, for the rest of March

No exercise, no pet walking, no shopping until your alphabetized day comes round, no public transport which doesn't really matter because there's no going out to work; in fact no leaving home unless you need medical assistance (or 10grand fine) Everything is closed down tight
(this week would've seen one of the years biggest religious festivals taking place so I guess that's also played a part in the rapid course of action)

Lets hope we deal with this as quickly as the measures suggest...

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Junta de Andalusia have done an about turn on only those on the Spanish health system will get the jab. The other regions, by example, and the national health council pressured the Junta at Monday’s meeting to change the policy.

Result for all foreign nationals, like us, who didn’t qualify because we are below pensionable age.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I initially got a letter inviting me for the jab about a fortnight ago. I looked online to book but it was only offering Eastbourne as my nearest centre. I knew jabs were also being done more local than that, which I would have preferred, the letter stated that I could wait to hear from my GP who would offer a local appointment. I didn't hear anything so decided to go to Eastbourne in the end anyway. My main concern was parking, but there was plenty as I had it done on a Sunday.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Junta de Andalusia have done an about turn on only those on the Spanish health system will get the jab. The other regions, by example, and the national health council pressured the Junta at Monday’s meeting to change the policy.

Result for all foreign nationals, like us, who didn’t qualify because we are below pensionable age.

They had no choice. Endemic virus is a risk whether it comes from a national or an alien.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well after many months of no lockdown (but borders still mostly closed with mandated quarantine) there's been a cluster of 10 cases over the last couple of days stemming from an undisclosed source resulting in a total shutdown starting this morning, for the rest of March

No exercise, no pet walking, no shopping until your alphabetized day comes round, no public transport which doesn't really matter because there's no going out to work; in fact no leaving home unless you need medical assistance (or 10grand fine) Everything is closed down tight
(this week would've seen one of the years biggest religious festivals taking place so I guess that's also played a part in the rapid course of action)

Hopefully the cluster is not too local too you? Rather a bummer for the island though! I would say "stay safe" but that seems rather unnecessary given that you're not allowed outside your front door. "Stay sane" seems better.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

Good result - and the only sensible outcome. After all, just because you're not Spanish doesnt put you any less at risk, or indeed, make you any less of a risk. Original decision was barmy.

Mandofred

Visit site

Doesn't this mean somebody will have to remove the "hit" request.....? I'd hate to have a person "taken out" for no good reason....:)

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its obvious this thing isnt ever going away no matter what we do. We've done what we've been asked for over a year now. My wife hasn't huhged her parents, they havent hugged their grandchildren. I have hardly seen my eldest son and he's back off to the falklands soon so that's another six months until he can finally buy me a pint. My jobs gone, my future plans are all up in the air. But im healthy and so is my family so that's one thing to be grateful for. The elderly and vulnerable arw now protected so lets just admit we're never going to fully get rid of this and get on with our lives. When do we reach the point that the collateral damage from all this constant locking/unlocking outweighs the damage done by the virus itself? In my opinion we're already there...

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My frustration is somewhat irrational, will be seen as over the top by some and unfair by others but cannot help how my mind works. We are told that opening everything up is to wait until we see the impact of the kids going back to school. Well, the kids are back at school and that appears to be the end of their covid restrictions. They are out in large groups at lunchtime, they are out in groups after school there is no evidence of any form of social distancing and rule compliance. Must have been 40 plus kids at the skate park last night when I walked past at 6.00. I am sorry but they should be treated exactly the same as people who are going to work. You go to work/school, you follow the rules there, you follow the rules at lunchtime and you go home straight after. Just not happening around my area and we are dependent on kids not causing such a spike that the next steps in our lockdown easing are delayed.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
My frustration is somewhat irrational, will be seen as over the top by some and unfair by others but cannot help how my mind works. We are told that opening everything up is to wait until we see the impact of the kids going back to school. Well, the kids are back at school and that appears to be the end of their covid restrictions. They are out in large groups at lunchtime, they are out in groups after school there is no evidence of any form of social distancing and rule compliance. Must have been 40 plus kids at the skate park last night when I walked past at 6.00. I am sorry but they should be treated exactly the same as people who are going to work. You go to work/school, you follow the rules there, you follow the rules at lunchtime and you go home straight after. Just not happening around my area and we are dependent on kids not causing such a spike that the next steps in our lockdown easing are delayed.

I must say I agree.

Not sure it's irrational, but perhaps selfish. Reasonable adults are much less likely to spread in a retail/entertainment venue environment than in a school. If it spreads rapidly again, which it looks like it will, everything delayed.

Haven't the peaks and troughs followed exactly when schools were back?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I must say I agree.

Not sure it's irrational, but perhaps selfish. Reasonable adults are much less likely to spread in a retail/entertainment venue environment than in a school. If it spreads rapidly again, which it looks like it will, everything delayed.

Haven't the peaks and troughs followed exactly when schools were back?

I think that there are other factors certainly but we were doing OK numbers wise last year with pretty much everything open until the schools went back. I am being selfish, I admit. I don't have kids, not going to have kids and so there is a degree of frustration that they hold an degree of my freedom in their hands and there is simply no compliance going on outside of the school and certainly, in my area anyway, kids are not going home after school straight away. I just feel that if 30-40 adults met up in a venue there would be police and fines (as there have been) but 30-40 teenagers meeting every night at the local skate park seems to be perfectly acceptable.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Patience please, fellas. Whilst it is true that Covid won't be eradicated, the programme for us to come out of this spike ,and control it ,has been set out.
The kids have gone back to school, and in that environment the mixing amongst them will have occurred there, as much as it will when they play together outside school.
That way of life for the kids is normal and , if we are to live with this Covid, then it has to be accommodated. ( As will other normslities when they resume)
The return to school has been chosen as the first of these normalities, and it will be monitored over 5 weeks to see if the result allows there to be an acceptable risk in continuing the easement of restrictions.
And then there will be the next stages of easements and assessments.
I'm not sure from what you've written that you understand that strategy.
Maybe you do, but nevertheless think it is wrong.
I think the strategy is based on the reasonable assumption that vaccinations will keep infections and ,more importantly , serious health issues and deaths, well controlled ,and that the situation will improve in that respect ( as a result of more vaccinations etc) and go along hand in hand with more easements towards eventual normality.
But it isn't right to just "open the gates fully and hope all is ok".
It's this latter idea I fear you are favouring in your posts, born of impatience.
It is difficult but there is an end in sight, I believe.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Interesting to hear in Scotland 19% of 40 to 60 year olds have already had the vaccine due to other medical conditions or being health/key workers.
Which is grim...but we know why...

Salad? If I have to - but lettuce only - and can I have the sugar to sprinkle over it please...

That was a good few decades ago now...but I suspect I was not unusual.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Patience please, fellas. Whilst it is true that Covid won't be eradicated, the programme for us to come out of this spike ,and control it ,has been set out.
The kids have gone back to school, and in that environment the mixing amongst them will have occurred there, as much as it will when they play together outside school.
That way of life for the kids is normal and , if we are to live with this Covid, then it has to be accommodated. ( As will other normslities when they resume)
The return to school has been chosen as the first of these normalities, and it will be monitored over 5 weeks to see if the result allows there to be an acceptable risk in continuing the easement of restrictions.
And then there will be the next stages of easements and assessments.
I'm not sure from what you've written that you understand that strategy.
Maybe you do, but nevertheless think it is wrong.
I think the strategy is based on the reasonable assumption that vaccinations will keep infections and ,more importantly , serious health issues and deaths, well controlled ,and that the situation will improve in that respect ( as a result of more vaccinations etc) and go along hand in hand with more easements towards eventual normality.
But it isn't right to just "open the gates fully and hope all is ok".
It's this latter idea I fear you are favouring in your posts, born of impatience.
It is difficult but there is an end in sight, I believe.

Possibly born out of frustration but I've just about got to the point that I've had enough. Had enough of seeing people every day blatantly flouting restrictions despite most people doing whats asked of them, of not being able to do the job i love, of my childrens education being ruined, of them now having to go through multiple tests that are uncomfortable and distressing for them, i could go on and on but i wont, only to hear more scientists and expert doom mongers tell us that it will spike again no matter how carefully we come out of it. I honestly believe these people want us locked away 24 hours a day for as long as it takes and sod the economy or peoples mental/physical health.