Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

D

Deleted member 15344

Which is grim...but we know why...

Salad? If I have to - but lettuce only - and can I have the sugar to sprinkle over it please...

That was a good few decades ago now...but I suspect I was not unusual.

Why is it grim ?
Interesting to hear in Scotland 19% of 40 to 60 year olds have already had the vaccine due to other medical conditions or being health/key workers.

Which is prob the same all over the world ?‍♂️

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Possibly born out of frustration but I've just about got to the point that I've had enough. Had enough of seeing people every day blatantly flouting restrictions despite most people doing whats asked of them, of not being able to do the job i love, of my childrens education being ruined, of them now having to go through multiple tests that are uncomfortable and distressing for them, i could go on and on but i wont, only to hear more scientists and expert doom mongers tell us that it will spike again no matter how carefully we come out of it. I honestly believe these people want us locked away 24 hours a day for as long as it takes and sod the economy or peoples mental/physical health.
It's the nature of scientists to warn, be cautious, to look on the dark side. That is why, ultimately, they will not be the ones to bring us out of this. They would always find another reason to hold back. They are hugely important but their advice should only be part of the equation.

I've stopped listening to the briefings, don't read a paper in physical form or online and currently only check the headlines on the news to make sure I'm not missing anything important. The rest are fillers that are going to add stress so I leave them alone. Try to block out the white noise, it really does help.

Just remember, under 3 weeks until we can whack a ball again, rule of 6 comes back. 12th April, hospitality opens again. These are in touching distance, nearly there.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's the nature of scientists to warn, be cautious, to look on the dark side. That is why, ultimately, they will not be the ones to bring us out of this. They would always find another reason to hold back. They are hugely important but their advice should only be part of the equation.

I've stopped listening to the briefings, don't read a paper in physical form or online and currently only check the headlines on the news to make sure I'm not missing anything important. The rest are fillers that are going to add stress so I leave them alone. Try to block out the white noise, it really does help.

Just remember, under 3 weeks until we can whack a ball again, rule of 6 comes back. 12th April, hospitality opens again. These are in touching distance, nearly there.

It sounds like from all the words out of gov that this phase 1 is what it is.. it's only phase 2 and later will be delayed by numbers

So no matter what we should in theory be hitting balls and have the kids at school

Happy days

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Why is it grim ?

Which is prob the same all over the world ?‍♂️
Because Scottish health remains 'not good' - as it has been for decades...the diet is traditionally poor; the drinking and substance abuse is dreadful; average male life expectancy in some parts of Glasgow is 70 (in the Calton and Bridgton districts it is under 68) - the Scottish average for males is 77...that's grim.

https://www.gcph.co.uk/population_health_trends/scottish_excess_mortality

Last edited:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This is very sound advice. Stops worrying/getting wound up about that which cannot be controlled.
I would add 'participation in this thread' to the list.

D

Deleted member 15344

Because Scottish health remains 'not good' - as it has been for decades...the diet is traditionally poor; the drinking and substance abuse is dreadful; average male life expectancy in some parts of Glasgow is 70 - the Scottish average for males is 77...that's grim.

How do you know it’s down to health issues as opposed to thousands of other medical issues - it also included health and key workers within that group

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pro rata Scotland has a high number of health/social care staff because of it's rural setting.
A social worker/ambulance crew/probation officer in the Highlands or the Borders will cover many more miles seeing fewer clients than a social worker in the more populated parts of the UK.
We also have a high diabetic group.
Probably the reasons for what is perceived to be a high number. I don't know what other regions of the UK are.

D

Deleted member 15344

A genuine question.
What other Medical issues would not be associated to health?

Are we being literal here ?

The “health issues” being mentioned that are grim were the likes of obesity , alcoholism etc - hence why diet was mentioned by SILH

As opposed to “medical conditions” not derived from the likes of drinking too much or smoking too much etc

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The European Medicines Agency approved the one shot Johnson and Johnson vaccine today. This is a viral vector type vaccine somewhat similar to the Astra Zeneca one. The headline result was 66% reduction, although the number was higher in the US and lower in SA. There was also a strong effect on disease severity.

There is also a 2 shot study ongoing, and it is widely expected that may have a higher level of efficacy.

EMA

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Out if interest, and this may be one for Ethan, are other countries actually looking for new variants of Covid. It just strikes me as odd (not in a conspiracy theory way but in a scientific way), that covid has spread globally, been subjected to no end of conditions and yet the only mutations of significance have come out of Brazil, South Africa and Kent.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Junta de Andalusia have done an about turn on only those on the Spanish health system will get the jab. The other regions, by example, and the national health council pressured the Junta at Monday’s meeting to change the policy.

Result for all foreign nationals, like us, who didn’t qualify because we are below pensionable age.
Chance your arm Brian, I'm sure you'd pass for pension age :devilish::D, take care in the mean time (y)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Another question for Ethan, the one shot J and J is showing a headline result of 66%. Yet some of the 2 shots Currently being given in the UK are higher than that after the first dose. What happens if folk, for what ever reason miss the second re vaccine protection from Covid.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another question for Ethan, the one shot J and J is showing a headline result of 66%. Yet some of the 2 shots Currently being given in the UK are higher than that after the first dose. What happens if folk, for what ever reason miss the second re vaccine protection from Covid.

There are differences between the trials, different definitions of Covid (although not major differences) and the populations studied (more significant). The J&J studies included SA and that dragged their headline number down a bit. I think the J&J vaccine is broadly in the same performance window as AZ, not surprising as they have the same mechanism of action. The mRNAs (Pfizer/Modwerna) certainly appear o have a stronger effect on one dose only. If you took an endpoint of 'Stops Covid or severe Covid', there would be less differences between all the vaccines.

The immunity provided by vaccination and natural infection follows roughly similar patterns, an antibody response which lasts 6 months or so, and then some degree of T-cell immunity which lasts longer. We don't really know how long the T-cell response lasts, could be months or years, but that may the element that is most different between infection and vaccination, or between different vaccines. It is generally believed that vaccination offers stronger immunity and may offer broader immunity. Your T-cells may recognise variants as being Covid virus in disguise, and with repeat exposure, through vaccines over several years or exposure to virus, the immune system gets a better picture of what Covid looks like. That is why most of us don't get the flu every year. Our immunity now knows what flu looks like and only a really powerful strain will overcome that.

One vacc is better than none, and you probably get most of the effect. With Pfizer, the second one probably mostly extends the duration of effect, with AZ it also boosts the effect from stopping most Covid and reducing the severity of the rest to stopping almost all of them. Natural infection plus one shot probably does much the same.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
There are differences between the trials, different definitions of Covid (although not major differences) and the populations studied (more significant). The J&J studies included SA and that dragged their headline number down a bit. I think the J&J vaccine is broadly in the same performance window as AZ, not surprising as they have the same mechanism of action. The mRNAs (Pfizer/Modwerna) certainly appear o have a stronger effect on one dose only. If you took an endpoint of 'Stops Covid or severe Covid', there would be less differences between all the vaccines.

The immunity provided by vaccination and natural infection follows roughly similar patterns, an antibody response which lasts 6 months or so, and then some degree of T-cell immunity which lasts longer. We don't really know how long the T-cell response lasts, could be months or years, but that may the element that is most different between infection and vaccination, or between different vaccines. It is generally believed that vaccination offers stronger immunity and may offer broader immunity. Your T-cells may recognise variants as being Covid virus in disguise, and with repeat exposure, through vaccines over several years or exposure to virus, the immune system gets a better picture of what Covid looks like. That is why most of us don't get the flu every year. Our immunity now knows what flu looks like and only a really powerful strain will overcome that.

One vacc is better than none, and you probably get most of the effect. With Pfizer, the second one probably mostly extends the duration of effect, with AZ it also boosts the effect from stopping most Covid and reducing the severity of the rest to stopping almost all of them. Natural infection plus one shot probably does much the same.

This is the kind of layman’s terms that I would suspect most folk would understand. I am of the ilk that this years vaccine is not just a one off. For a few years one shot vaccines may well be the norm. That said, the anti vaxers that don’t want a vaccine jab, may well just be delaying the inevitable and getting the virus one day. However that turns out for them, only time will tell.

Cheers Ethan me man.