Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Got my jab notification today. I tried to find a vaccination hub in my area but there aren't any yet so have to wait to be notified from my GP.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
A question for Ethan if he can help. How effective does a vaccine need to be classed as a viable option. I look at the 66% figures for the one shot and that seems low compared to the other options but, then again, that may be the norm and the others are just very high. Would be interested to hear what percentage is seen as acceptable. My mum got the Pfizer jab yesterday and was happy that was what was on offer.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
A question for Ethan if he can help. How effective does a vaccine need to be classed as a viable option. I look at the 66% figures for the one shot and that seems low compared to the other options but, then again, that may be the norm and the others are just very high. Would be interested to hear what percentage is seen as acceptable. My mum got the Pfizer jab yesterday and was happy that was what was on offer.

The FDA said that in order to be approvable, a vaccine would have to reduce cases by at least 50%, so they pretty much all do that, including recently announced results from Novavax and J&J.

People focus on that headline number for the prevention of symptomatic Covid, and that is important. But the studies so far have shown that after a couple of weeks, when the vaccine effect kicks in, they also have a strong effect in reducing severity in those who still get it, in some cases eliminating hospitalisation or Covid-related death. It seems highly improbable that they do not reduce transmission as well. Even Chris Whitty more or less admitted that the other day.

At the outset of these development programmes, if companies had promised a 2/3 reduction in clinical cases, but more or less elimination of serious/severe Covid, we would have grabbed that with both hands, and all available vaccines do or exceed that.

Personally, if given a choice, and I won't be, I would opt for Pfizer too. It seems to get to a high initial effect faster and I think the vaccine tech is cool. But if offered the AZ, I will take it.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The FDA said that in order to be approvable, a vaccine would have to reduce cases by at least 50%, so they pretty much all do that, including recently announced results from Novavax and J&J.

People focus on that headline number for the prevention of symptomatic Covid, and that is important. But the studies so far have shown that after a couple of weeks, when the vaccine effect kicks in, they also have a strong effect in reducing severity in those who still get it, in some cases eliminating hospitalisation or Covid-related death. It seems highly improbable that they do not reduce transmission as well. Even Chris Whitty more or less admitted that the other day.

At the outset of these development programmes, if companies had promised a 2/3 reduction in clinical cases, but more or less elimination of serious/severe Covid, we would have grabbed that with both hands, and all available vaccines do or exceed that.

Personally, if given a choice, and I won't be, I would opt for Pfizer too. It seems to get to a high initial effect faster and I think the vaccine tech is cool. But if offered the AZ, I will take it.

Thanks, that really helps. As I mentioned, and based on much of what you have said on here, I was not worried which jab my mum got but felt the Pfizer one was the best option at this stage.

Helps to have a bit of information to help translate the media stories. When you put it as you have, a 2/3 reduction in clinical cases, it sounds such much more reassuring than the 66% effective headlines. Guess it is all semantics

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Silly question for Ethan, but what do you do for a living?
Obviously in the medical profession, but what?
Just curious because, for some reason going back a long time, I thought you were in the golf profession, heavily involved in golf club shaft technology! Not sure what gave me that idea, but hey!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just curious because, for some reason going back a long time, I thought you were in the golf profession, heavily involved in golf club shaft technology! Not sure what gave me that idea, but hey!
Well, he was known as Shaft for a while..Damn right.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

I was a public health doctor, so know a bit about epidemiology, epidemics and vaccines, that sort of stuff, now in pharmaceutical clinical development (designing and running clinical trials).

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I was a public health doctor, so know a bit about epidemiology, epidemics and vaccines, that sort of stuff, now in pharmaceutical clinical development (designing and running clinical trials).

Don’t forget to add GM Forum medical advisor to your CV

I think we all appreciate the expertise and sense you bring to this subject

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don’t forget to add GM Forum medical advisor to your CV

I think we all appreciate the expertise and sense you bring to this subject

I try not to give any medical advice, because I can't know the medical history of anyone here, I prefer to stick to commentary and interpretation of stories in the media.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was supposed to be getting my gallstones oiked out on Tuesday. Operation has been cancelled because the hospital is swamped with covid patients.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the last time they gave me grief the pain lasted for three days.
Sorry to hear. I used to have to end up on all fours and not move for sometimes 30 mins. At times I thought I was having a heart attack. I initially went to gp with chest pains. He sent me straight to a+e and I then didn’t see daylight for 7 days. Did not pass go or collect £200. Once they ruled out heart and hernias they then diagnosed gallbladder.
unfortunatly consultant said possible wait time 12 months. I could not last that long. On discharge I enquired about private. He said ring my secretary on Monday. Was under the knife within 2 weeks.

AliMc

Visit site
Sorry to hear. I used to have to end up on all fours and not move for sometimes 30 mins. At times I thought I was having a heart attack. I initially went to gp with chest pains. He sent me straight to a+e and I then didn’t see daylight for 7 days. Did not pass go or collect £200. Once they ruled out heart and hernias they then diagnosed gallbladder.
unfortunatly consultant said possible wait time 12 months. I could not last that long. On discharge I enquired about private. He said ring my secretary on Monday. Was under the knife within 2 weeks.
Similar with me, absolutely horrific chest pains, given 2 doses of morphine just get me into the ambulance, had my gallbladder out the next day, all went well and 2 weeks later I was on the putting green looking forward to playing again, very next day chest pains again, rushed back into hospital with pancreatitis, recovering from that when I got C-diff in my bowel, hospital phoned my wife at 10:30 one night and told her i probably wouldn't survive the night, but I did, it was 13 years ago and now I'm fully fit and healthy, doesn't half change your outlook on things though, my kids were only 3 and 1 at the time.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Similar with me, absolutely horrific chest pains, given 2 doses of morphine just get me into the ambulance, had my gallbladder out the next day, all went well and 2 weeks later I was on the putting green looking forward to playing again, very next day chest pains again, rushed back into hospital with pancreatitis, recovering from that when I got C-diff in my bowel, hospital phoned my wife at 10:30 one night and told her i probably wouldn't survive the night, but I did, it was 13 years ago and now I'm fully fit and healthy, doesn't half change your outlook on things though, my kids were only 3 and 1 at the time.
Glad to hear you fit and well. Horrible time for you and the family ?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Still don’t actual know anyone personally who has been badly affected by it. Loads have been tested positive but all went through with zero issues
I said this a few months ago. Since then two people at work have died age 31 and 46 (no underlying conditions) and my neighbours either side have both lost their husbands. We've also had lots of watches get sent home for 10 days due to isolated outbreaks.