Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
At the other end of the spectrum we have my grandfather who is 101 years old. Up until June of last year he was one of the 'youngest' 101 year olds that you'll ever meet, he lived in his own home, no real assistance bar my mum checking up on him every day. He was very much a creature of habit, went to get his paper, had a Guinness etc. Due to age he was told to shield and so this disrupted his daily routine, he didn't like this and much to my mum's annoyance he continued a normal life as he didn't want to spend his final months cooped up. After a couple of falls the decision was made that he'd now be better off in a care home and he was moved there in October. It's a nice place, well run so no complaints however it wasn't his home and it threw out his routine. Unfortunately over the last couple of months, due to hospital visits and a Covid outbreak in his home he has spent 6 weeks almost entirely in his room. It's not a large room and he's obviously not allowed to have visitors so he's had almost no movement and as a result he cannot walk and is now wheelchair bound. His mental health has dropped off a cliff and he is now back in the war, we've stopped having phone calls as he doesn't know who we are any more and only sporadically recognises my mum. It's really sad to watch his decline having been to fit and health both mentally and physically for 100 odd years!!

An update on this, the care home have announced an extension to their lockdown until February 28th. That’ll mean that he’ll have been in a room measuring 3x3m for 12 weeks in total I think, essentially solitary confinement. Video calls are now pointless as he doesn’t know where he is and who he is speaking to. It’s amazing and saddening to see how quickly someone can deteriorate from being completely compos mentis to nothing. It’s especially hard on my mum who has been his daily contact for the last 10 years or so. As brutal as this will sound, at this point it would be kinder for both him and her if he were to just give up however he seems intent on seeing this through.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
An update on this, the care home have announced an extension to their lockdown until February 28th. That’ll mean that he’ll have been in a room measuring 3x3m for 12 weeks in total I think, essentially solitary confinement. Video calls are now pointless as he doesn’t know where he is and who he is speaking to. It’s amazing and saddening to see how quickly someone can deteriorate from being completely compos mentis to nothing. It’s especially hard on my mum who has been his daily contact for the last 10 years or so. As brutal as this will sound, at this point it would be kinder for both him and her if he were to just give up however he seems intent on seeing this through.
Sorry to hear that, it's so sad.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

That's awful:cry:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

As one who had to watch my mother in law decline in a similar manner, I can only offer you my sympathy.

karenburton1305

Visit site
Anyone else at the point now where they're just completely done and bored? I feel like as we move into a new month without the post-Christmas vibes it's just another reminder of how much time we're all losing. Feel so sorry for my kids.

D

Deleted member 16999

Anyone else at the point now where they're just completely done and bored? I feel like as we move into a new month without the post-Christmas vibes it's just another reminder of how much time we're all losing. Feel so sorry for my kids.
No, prefer to look at it that we are not out of the woods yet, but we do have some light at the end of the tunnel.

Plus, how much time we are gaining in life, better bored than dead.

karenburton1305

Visit site
Obviosulty i
No, prefer to look at it that we are not out of the woods yet, but we do have some light at the end of the tunnel.

Plus, how much time we are gaining in life, better bored than dead.

I feel for the younger generation though - with families and jobs the routine isn't much different. For younger people it's the time they should be having fun and being spontaneous. And when so many younger people live alone, it must be really lonely. I know some of my friends' children are getting really frustrated with all the things they're missing out on that they can't hav back.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hear what you are saying, but the sentiment must be about doing your bit to protect the NHS and others. We must do this to enable brighter days ahead. I have kids too and do I feel sorry for them? No, not all, as they understand what they need to do for themselves and for others.

The alternative is to be reckless again and prolong lockdowns way longer.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

My wife and I have a lot of interests so we've quite enjoyed lockdown and only miss a couple of the simple things like going out for a coffee. Our next door neighbours have two kids aged 11 and 8 who are both happy with the current arrangements. For them they said the trick was to keep the kids to a tight daily routine and that seems to have worked pretty well.