Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

D

Deleted member 25172

Anyone else at the point now where they're just completely done and bored? I feel like as we move into a new month without the post-Christmas vibes it's just another reminder of how much time we're all losing. Feel so sorry for my kids.

Yep, this lockdown have been the hardest one to deal with personally. My attention span and focus on my work is practically down to zero and in general I don’t get much more than 4 hours of consecutive sleep. I don’t know if it’s connected really, but wouldn’t be very surprised. Feel understimulated but try to combat that with exercising as much as I can.

Hopefully not for that much longer.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Partly that, it is also more flexible with smaller bottles and usually less risk of separation of components. Ideally they would be shipped in single use syringes.

My understanding, and this is the understanding of a non medical guy being told by his Senior Pharmacy Tech Mrs, is that each dose has to be drawn from the bottle through a fresh piercing, to reduce risk of contamination foreign matter being pushed into the vial, the larger the container the more doses, the more times the seal has to be pierced.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
As one who had to watch my mother in law decline in a similar manner, I can only offer you my sympathy.

Thank you BiM. It's really my mum I feel for, she is having to watch this first hand. It's just awful to watch someone who has managed 100yrs 6 months or so of quality living to then spend the last 6 months of their life on their own and retreating into their own little world. Physically he cannot move now as his routine of morning & afternoon wanders have stopped. I think many would have stopped fighting and just given in which to be honest may have been easier (in a selfish way) on the family but he's not like that and his pre-existing physical fitness is getting him through. My mum is convinced he is holding out for one last visit as he doesn't want to die alone without having seen anyone for months. She's in talks with the care home as to whether there is anything that can be done to facilitate this especially as they're locking down until the end of February which will be awful for him.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Yep, this lockdown have been the hardest one to deal with personally. My attention span and focus on my work is practically down to zero and in general I don’t get much more than 4 hours of consecutive sleep. I don’t know if it’s connected really, but wouldn’t be very surprised. Feel understimulated but try to combat that with exercising as much as I can.

Hopefully not for that much longer.

Sounds very similar mate, you are not alone. Beyond a walk round increasingly familiar streets, there is nothing to go out for. I'm becoming increasingly insular, little interest in much at all. I know I'm considerably better off than some in that I still have a job & little money concerns, but day to day motivation is becoming harder to find.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
D

Deleted member 16999

Obviosulty i

I feel for the younger generation though - with families and jobs the routine isn't much different. For younger people it's the time they should be having fun and being spontaneous. And when so many younger people live alone, it must be really lonely. I know some of my friends' children are getting really frustrated with all the things they're missing out on that they can't hav back.
Maybe it’ll help them appreciatte who and what they have now and not take it for granted.

It’s not just the young either, have a read of post #15440 and how that family is being affected.

People of all ages are struggling and I don’t believe it’s been easy for anyone, but we must do this to give everyone, and especially the young, a brighter future.

D

Deleted member 16999

Thank you BiM. It's really my mum I feel for, she is having to watch this first hand. It's just awful to watch someone who has managed 100yrs 6 months or so of quality living to then spend the last 6 months of their life on their own and retreating into their own little world. Physically he cannot move now as his routine of morning & afternoon wanders have stopped. I think many would have stopped fighting and just given in which to be honest may have been easier (in a selfish way) on the family but he's not like that and his pre-existing physical fitness is getting him through. My mum is convinced he is holding out for one last visit as he doesn't want to die alone without having seen anyone for months. She's in talks with the care home as to whether there is anything that can be done to facilitate this especially as they're locking down until the end of February which will be awful for him.
Words genuinely fail me, I hope he gets that visit and your family, especially your mum, find some peace.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Apparently there has been door-to-door testing in areas near Woking in Surrey for this South African variant. The part of Woking they were in - covid would be the least of my worries of what you could catch round there. If you wanted to film a post-apocalyptic film with resident zombies, that would be your spot.

www.hiltonpark.net
An update on this, the care home have announced an extension to their lockdown until February 28th. That’ll mean that he’ll have been in a room measuring 3x3m for 12 weeks in total I think, essentially solitary confinement. Video calls are now pointless as he doesn’t know where he is and who he is speaking to. It’s amazing and saddening to see how quickly someone can deteriorate from being completely compos mentis to nothing. It’s especially hard on my mum who has been his daily contact for the last 10 years or so. As brutal as this will sound, at this point it would be kinder for both him and her if he were to just give up however he seems intent on seeing this through.
I really have a lot of sympathy for you r2r as this is what I have just been through with my Dad. I saw my dad the week before lockdown 1 and though it has always been difficult seeing him struggle with dementia you could genuinely see him lift when he had visitors (his wife visited him everyday and always had him out of bed etc). Unfortunately the stroke that put him in there also made him blind so video calls were not really of any benefit to him although we all tried. He was left in his bed almost 24/7 (don't get me started on the level care these homes provide:mad:) and the deterioration was marked when his wife eventually got see him in October. Patients in those homes need constant stimulation and being cut off from the outside world must be bewildering for them. It feels a horrible thing to say but I had hoped that something would finish my dad to put him out of the misery and it did. having to deal with the grief now is better than seeing a proud man be humbled like that (my dad hadn't been to hospital once in 77 years until he decided to see the doc because he thought 4 days of circuit training and the gym may too much at his age!!).
I really feel for you, your mum and the rest of your family and I'm sure you'll have lots of fantastic memories to fall back on when you need to.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I really have a lot of sympathy for you r2r as this is what I have just been through with my Dad. I saw my dad the week before lockdown 1 and though it has always been difficult seeing him struggle with dementia you could genuinely see him lift when he had visitors (his wife visited him everyday and always had him out of bed etc). Unfortunately the stroke that put him in there also made him blind so video calls were not really of any benefit to him although we all tried. He was left in his bed almost 24/7 (don't get me started on the level care these homes provide:mad:) and the deterioration was marked when his wife eventually got see him in October. Patients in those homes need constant stimulation and being cut off from the outside world must be bewildering for them. It feels a horrible thing to say but I had hoped that something would finish my dad to put him out of the misery and it did. having to deal with the grief now is better than seeing a proud man be humbled like that (my dad hadn't been to hospital once in 77 years until he decided to see the doc because he thought 4 days of circuit training and the gym may too much at his age!!).
I really feel for you, your mum and the rest of your family and I'm sure you'll have lots of fantastic memories to fall back on when you need to.

Really feel for you and can relate to a lot you have said. Sometimes words are no comfort. Thoughts with you me man.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm getting slightly worried at how much noise they are making over this south african variant, just praying they havent found its resistant to the vaccine

Last edited:

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Sorry to hear about your Dad, very similar situation. As harsh as it sounds the family are hoping, as you did, that he might go to sleep one evening and that'd be it rather than the present battle.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm getting slightly worried at how much noise they are making over this south african variant, just praying they havent found its resistant to the vaccine

Hypothetic question, or at least I hope it is, what do you think the reaction would be amongst the population if the SA variant (or an as yet unknown one) was found to be resistant to the vaccine? I'm thinking about the reaction to a reset in terms of timelines of lockdowns etc if it were the worst case and we had to get a working vaccine. I know we wouldn't necessarily be back at square one as I assume we could use the present vaccine and adapt it however would also assume we'd need to go through the testing phase again etc. We are already at a point where fatigue is setting in and if the Government announced that the present restrictions might now be in place for another 4,5 or 6 months whilst the vaccine was redeveloped would people actually be able to buy in?

Again, everything I've read so far suggests that the present vaccine is effective so hopefully we don't have to worry too much at the moment.

D

Deleted member 25172

Hypothetic question, or at least I hope it is, what do you think the reaction would be amongst the population if the SA variant (or an as yet unknown one) was found to be resistant to the vaccine? I'm thinking about the reaction to a reset in terms of timelines of lockdowns etc if it were the worst case and we had to get a working vaccine. I know we wouldn't necessarily be back at square one as I assume we could use the present vaccine and adapt it however would also assume we'd need to go through the testing phase again etc. We are already at a point where fatigue is setting in and if the Government announced that the present restrictions might now be in place for another 4,5 or 6 months whilst the vaccine was redeveloped would people actually be able to buy in?

Again, everything I've read so far suggests that the present vaccine is effective so hopefully we don't have to worry too much at the moment.

Let's just hope that your question stays hypothetic. There's no way a majority of the population would even consider staying at home until August. It just simply isn't, no matter what is right or wrong.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your Dad, very similar situation. As harsh as it sounds the family are hoping, as you did, that he might go to sleep one evening and that'd be it rather than the present battle.
When I initially said there's so much I could relate to, it was exactly this. FIL had once said he dont want to live how he is living now. He just wants to go to sleep and not wake up. Unfortunately he is not getting his way. Yesterday can only be best described as an emotional boxing match.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Personally, and i hope im wrong, but i think there would be a mass ignorance of any restrictions. People would basically say enough is enough were getting on with it whether the powers that be like it or not.

D

Deleted member 15344

They have already stated that the vaccine works against all variants - some may not be a “potent” , it’s the same with the Kent variant.

The good thing this time is they are acting quickly with the local intense testing to control it

Also the PMs word yesterday were very relevant in regards restrictions

He was stating that the virus appears to be at national levels now ( ie no area is spiking more than others ) so when restrictions are eased it looks like it will be at national level as opposed to regional - that is potentially good news unless they look at london which does have a slightly high level of infection.

But the good news is that the seven day averages is now at a level that was seen in November

15B54A75-510E-4F62-9E0A-661A6700EE24.jpeg
and that trend is reflected globally as well ?
If the trend stays the same in 3 weeks we will be at levels not seen since August/September

Also in regards the vaccine there is now hope that every adult will be offered one by May