Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

D

Deleted member 16999

I don't think the issue is the ability to jab, it's supply of vaccine. Listening to gp's and others up here they are geared up to jab in droves but the supply can't keep up.
The Nightingale in Sunderland is now a vaccine centre.(y)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Nightingale in Sunderland is now a vaccine centre.(y)
So I heard. A local councillor was bemoaning the fact that existing centres were short of vaccines so was not entirely convinced of the purpose of opening the nightingale.

They could make sense if we can get lorry loads of vaccines, it depends on their locations

U

User62651

Should I be relieved the old dear (90s) got the Pfizer jab and not the Astra Zeneca one?
Is Germany just being cautious waiting for more data or have they written the AZ one off for ages 65+?
Don't need news headlines like this at the mo. Confidence in vaccines is already a little shaky. ?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
More to the point, will those who have had the Pfizer first dose actually get the second shot? The EU look to be thinking of blocking export from Pfizer.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Should I be relieved the old dear (90s) got the Pfizer jab and not the Astra Zeneca one?
Is Germany just being cautious waiting for more data or have they written the AZ one off for ages 65+?
Don't need news headlines like this at the mo. Confidence in vaccines is already a little shaky. ?

I thought the EU had an authorizing body, are Germany going it alone, mind you AZ still not authorized by the EU yet.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Biontech will start producing in Germany from the middle of February onwards. Should give a boost to the delivery chain, shouldn’t it?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Thats not I'm seeing.
23rd Last saturday 491,970
Yesterday 282,812

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations
Data guy from FT was on the radio earlier, he was suggesting this up & down is expected as chunks of supply arrive. Suggested focusing on 7 day averages (bit like the other stats) and wasn't worried about not hitting target yet.
Was refreshing to have a pragmatic person on the media without hyperbole.

D

Deleted member 15344

Thats not I'm seeing.
23rd Last saturday 491,970
Yesterday 282,812

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations

As I said the daily stats will fluctuate because of staff and supplies , the supplies arrive in areas en bulk , they smash through the vaccines quickly and then need to wait 2-4 days for their next load

The 7 day average is key - it needs to be about 350k a day to hit the mid Feb target

Obviously the likes of the Daily Mail cherry pick the single day figures and continue to peddle the negative narrative

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I said the daily stats will fluctuate because of staff and supplies , the supplies arrive in areas en bulk , they smash through the vaccines quickly and then need to wait 2-4 days for their next load

QUOTE]
Can only speak for where SM vaccinates and that certainly wasn't the case up until next weekend. All jabs are by appointments and they always ensured they used every dose with appointments set up a week in advance. No more appointments now as they are closing until Mar 7th when they start the 2nd doses

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The AZ data set is a bit of a mess. It was really several studies all done with varying elements in them and they don't fit together very well. The confused dosing and intervals were part of it. Another was that few older patients were enrolled, and they were enrolled late. In the group aged 65 or more, there were only two cases of Covid, one in vaccine and one in placebo. These trials were designed and set up by Oxford, not AZ, and look very much like academic trials rather than industry trials.

In the data set there is no sniff, let alone evidence of the effectiveness on Covid reduction in older people. This is an issue because in the period before these vaccines came through, there was concern that older people might respond differently. The Pfizer vacc has a different delivery vehicle which may result in different effects in some groups, so translating their data across was not really reasonable.

The EMA will do the overall approval, but the Koch Institute (the German MHRA) is an influential and highly reputable country regulator. The way EU approval works is that EMA approves but each country then needs to ratify, so it remains to be seen whether EMA will give a broad approval and let countries then modify for local preferences or not.

The longer term plan is that there is a US trial ongoing, and run by AZ, so it will be conducted well and cover the bases. If that brings in some decent data, the approval can be extended to cover older patients.

It is also worth noting that the FDA in the US have not yet approved either, nor Canada or Australia. They are all taking a long hard look at the data, which as I said above is rather messy. The MHRA is currently the outlier amongst leading regulators in having approved it.

The German comments are really nothing to do with politics and everything to do with the approach of the Ged,an authority. At present, I am dealing with comments on an entirely different application by an EU company and they are doing precisely the same. It is just who they are. But if it turned out that there was an adverse effect on this vaccine, lets say for example it accelerated dementia in older people with early dementia, there would be a public outcry and demand to know what this wasn't throughly evaluated before release. Damned if they do ....

www.hiltonpark.net
But if it turned out that there was an adverse effect on this vaccine, lets say for example it accelerated dementia in older people with early dementia, there would be a public outcry and demand to know what this wasn't throughly evaluated before release. Damned if they do ....
My dad deteriorated rapidly and died a few days after having his AZ 1st jab in his home a few weeks ago. He had well established vascular dementia and when you get to that stage of life it could well have been another stroke , an infection or something else. The only way to know if the vaccines is causing adverse events is if they are recording events like my dad's.

D

Deleted member 16999

My dad deteriorated rapidly and died a few days after having his AZ 1st jab in his home a few weeks ago. He had well established vascular dementia and when you get to that stage of life it could well have been another stroke , an infection or something else. The only way to know if the vaccines is causing adverse events is if they are recording events like my dad's.
Sorry for your loss.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A bit more good news with another vaccine coming online. Novavax is 89.3% effective against the nee strains.

If approved we have 60m doses on order.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Sorry to hear that. That was just a random example of a reason why some degree of caution is wise when approving medicines, not any specific suspicion or known side effect, by the way.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is that 60m of that vaccine, or a total over all vaccines combined?
And is 60 enough, or is that 60m for 30m people?

There are orders placed for 360m shots, although 60m of that is for GSK/Sanofi which appears to have run into problems. The orders appear excessive but are staged across the year and allow for development or manufacturing problems.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

I'm sorry to hear that, funky, truly sorry.