Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

D

Deleted member 16999

So the country Is broke, how are we going to find the teachers for another year at school? We don't have the staff for what we need now
Why would you need more Teachers? Children will be repeating this year, ie, every child is put back 1 year.

And, as I tried to say, it’s thinking outside the box to protect our children and their education! Look at what they’ve already missed out on this year.

Please try and remember this is just people “chewing the fat” on a public forum, no one is claiming to have all the answers.:rolleyes:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Why would you need more Teachers? Children will be repeating this year, ie, every child is put back 1 year.

And, as I tried to say, it’s thinking outside the box to protect our children and their education! Look at what they’ve already missed out on this year.

Please try and remember this is just people “chewing the fat” on a public forum, no one is claiming to have all the answers.:rolleyes:

Well you still have a new intake of kids starting school so you now have 14 year groups instead of 13 to A level

Unless you delay the new starters by a year, but that will have implications on their development and their parents work plans

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well you still have a new intake of kids starting school so you now have 14 year groups instead of 13 to A level

Unless you delay the new starters by a year, but that will have implications on their development and their parents work plans

Or cost more money because you would need more early childcare which is hard to get as it is

It's a real non starter

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

As Phil says you would get new intake. You couldn't delay them a year so you would need another years worth of teachers
It's really never that simple.

There is chewing the fat and living in fantasy land

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't have kids but know how important educating every generation is. We must do everything to avoid closing schools. I think universities could be treated differently without as much damage being done but up to 6th Form has to stay open unless there really is no option.

D

Deleted member 15344

Exporting more of the new strain to other parts of the country, after spreading it around a bit more at the station first.

It was always going to happen though with the timing of the announcement, anyone living on their own was going to get out of London as soon as they could so that they could spend Xmas with someone.
So we have a quart being squeezed into a pint pot. For eight hours.You think it's stupid to give only eight hours notice. What is stupid are the people not willing to help alleviate a critical situation, and who should be staying put, unless essential.
(The example given in the piece , the woman's statement ,was not essential.)
As Ethan says, it doesn't matter to them that they are spreading this virus strain over the rest of the country.
And do you really think that had there been 48 hours notice that there wouldn't have been an Exodus for that 48 hours?
Would more people or less have left than those able to in that eight hours?

The people were in Tier 3 with the belief that in a couple of days they would be able to create a bubble with family to spend a bit of time over Xmas together - all within the rules at the time. As soon as they announced that’s all been taken away from you in 8 hours what do people expect those to do ? Just stay at home on their own or get out of Tier 4 within those 8 hours so they could get some sort of Xmas with their family. Give people a couple of days so that there wasn’t a mad rush with trains full to the brim.

it appears to be a case of flying by the seat of their pants with lots of u turns and flip flopping and a lot of people are losing faith quickly

D

Deleted member 16999

Or we could accept that there are others with different opinions and ideas other than our own. Something sounding mad to one sounds totally sensible to another.
Don't forget Barnes-Wallace was thought mad at the initial outset.
He does it on every thread, if you’re not agreeing with him you get dismissed.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not making a statement here, just trying to understand the mechanics of the new virus strain.

How does it spread easier than the previous strain. I assume it is transmitted by airborne particles that are breathed in or picked up off surfaces where they have settled as does the previous, so what makes these new particles more virulent. Do they work faster once ingested.

Really interested to understand it.

D

Deleted member 16999

So Class sizes may need to be increased or the Government supply more resources, but the current truth of the matter is that many kids are missing and have missed huge chunks of their education, I’m trying to come up with a way to help all Children to have the opportunity to catch up, rather than simply saying “you must keep them open”

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thinking outside the box and would still need a lot of ironing out, but why not increase the school leaving age to 17 for the next 10yrs to give all children the chance to catch up, 6th form 17-19, Uni 19 onwards, Uni may not be a big issue as this would be the same as every one taking a gap year.

I was talking about this earlier in the year, my 15 yo son was awarded 7/8s across the board without sitting an exam, I think he should have gone to 6th form to re-do his last year, sit his GCSE exams then do his A levels.

D

Deleted member 16999

I was talking about this earlier in the year, my 15 yo son was awarded 7/8s across the board without sitting an exam, I think he should have gone to 6th form to re-do his last year, sit his GCSE exams then do his A levels.
I believe going by my own son the 13-16yr olds may be able to catch up a bit quicker, but for those below this age the damage could be more difficult to recover and I’m yet to hear how this will be achieved, especially as I can see far more closures/isolations taking place over the next few months.
It can’t just be dumped on the Teachers without extra support or resources for them.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
So we have a quart being squeezed into a pint pot. For eight hours.You think it's stupid to give only eight hours notice. What is stupid are the people not willing to help alleviate a critical situation, and who should be staying put, unless essential.
(The example given in the piece , the woman's statement ,was not essential.)
As Ethan says, it doesn't matter to them that they are spreading this virus strain over the rest of the country.
?

Why should they be staying put? You think the rest of the UK is going to be able to hide from the new strain? What about the people that left London for the holidays an hour before the announcement, are they Idiots too?

Of course the idiots were going to pile out of London. Its what they did last time. Its not enough that they are spreading it round down there. Now they are spreading round the country.

Why are they idiots? I was one that left the day before lockdown 1. If I had stayed I would be 6 feet under.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I believe going by my own son the 13-16yr olds may be able to catch up a bit quicker, but for those below this age the damage could be more difficult to recover and I’m yet to hear how this will be achieved, especially as I can see far more closures/isolations taking place over the next few months.
It can’t just be dumped on the Teachers without extra support or resources for them.

Whilst it's been handled badly the plan has always been keep schools open, test test test and then once the vaccine is rolled out further restrictions can be lifted.

Blair called for this in November and now it's almost spot on what he was suggesting .. it always seems to be that the government can't admit that they made the mistake and an idea suggested from the other party was a better one.

Schools will stay open throughout and it's getting safer than ever with the new testing system to catch asymptomatic cases .

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't have kids but know how important educating every generation is. We must do everything to avoid closing schools. I think universities could be treated differently without as much damage being done but up to 6th Form has to stay open unless there really is no option.
I've got 2 kids at, different, university. When they arrived last term it was a free for all, thousands of people criss crossing the country, no tests. Covid ripped through although thankfully seems to have minimal impact on the students themselves due to their youth. The surrounding residents .......who knows.

By part way through the terms the local councils and universities were much smarter. Frequent testing available, support for students isolating, lectures online if numbers increased, relaxed if not. Before returning students were encouraged to get tested. If positive they were asked not to travel. Going back they are staggering the return and I would expect them to be tested again straight away. They have learnt a lot and I would expect that to continue.

I can only go off 2 universities but I would expect others to have gone down a similar route. In effect, I would not expect universities to have the same issue come January (I know I'm setting myself up there ?), and if they do they will handle it quicker and better.