Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Why should they be staying put? You think the rest of the UK is going to be able to hide from the new strain? What about the people that left London for the holidays an hour before the announcement, are they Idiots too?

Why are they idiots? I was one that left the day before lockdown 1. If I had stayed I would be 6 feet under.

There is a difference between foresight and panic. In my opinion people who made plans to leave London after the announcement are potentially spreading the virus far and wide and are therefore irresponsible.

D

Deleted member 16999

Whilst it's been handled badly the plan has always been keep schools open, test test test and then once the vaccine is rolled out further restrictions can be lifted.

Blair called for this in November and now it's almost spot on what he was suggesting .. it always seems to be that the government can't admit that they made the mistake and an idea suggested from the other party was a better one.

Schools will stay open throughout and it's getting safer than ever with the new testing system to catch asymptomatic cases .
I’m not talking about closing schools, I’ve not once suggested closing schools! I’m on about how we make up for the time the kids have missed being there, for what ever reason.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m not talking about closing schools, I’ve not once suggested closing schools! I’m on about how we make up for the time the kids have missed being there, for what ever reason.

They have delayed exams by 3 weeks thus far to help kids catch up.

Online working

They should be support to get them back up to standard

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
There is a difference between foresight and panic. In my opinion people who made plans to leave London after the announcement are potentially spreading the virus far and wide and are therefore irresponsible.

But those that left before the announcement have exactly the same potential to spread the virus far and wide!

D

Deleted member 16999

They have delayed exams by 3 weeks thus far to help kids catch up.

Online working

They should be support to get them back up to standard
Kids learn at different speeds, 3 weeks may not be enough for some, not every household has internet, look at the debacle we had last summer, I know a few examples of kids around here who have missed a total of 3 months since March and again the issue will only get worse in the short term imo.
What happens this year to those who fail exams at 16? Unlucky, away you go and sign on.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
It was always going to happen though with the timing of the announcement, anyone living on their own was going to get out of London as soon as they could so that they could spend Xmas with someone.

The people were in Tier 3 with the belief that in a couple of days they would be able to create a bubble with family to spend a bit of time over Xmas together - all within the rules at the time. As soon as they announced that’s all been taken away from you in 8 hours what do people expect those to do ? Just stay at home on their own or get out of Tier 4 within those 8 hours so they could get some sort of Xmas with their family. Give people a couple of days so that there wasn’t a mad rush with trains full to the brim.

it appears to be a case of flying by the seat of their pants with lots of u turns and flip flopping and a lot of people are losing faith quickly

In this present national crisis "getting some sort of Xmas with their family" is not the most important requirement.
Saving lives is- keeping the NHS in hospitals functioning is-

This is not a normal battle of policies for normal living, it is about battling a virus B that doesn't recognise Xmas, your wishes, my wishes or anyone else's.
We have telephones, visual communication available to family members.
It is not insurmountable, nor cause for overwhelming mental anguish, to use those methods , just for once, whilst reminding yourself that you are trying to keep your loved ones, yourself and others alive so that future family meetings in Spring, summer and other Xmases, can happen.

"As our case is new, we must think anew,- then we shall save our Country"
Abraham Lincoln.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Kids learn at different speeds, 3 weeks may not be enough for some, not every household has internet, look at the debacle we had last summer, I know a few examples of kids around here who have missed a total of 3 months since March and again the issue will only get worse in the short term imo.
What happens this year to those who fail exams at 16? Unlucky, away you go and sign on.

Hopefully if those fail their exams this year they are offered support to study at college the following year

Always an option to resit but need more support for this

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The teachers unions will hate this but maybe this the year when easter and summer holidays are cut short? If the Oxford vaccine comes out by next week than mass vaccination will kick in and by Easter we may start seeing some normality. Cut Easter to 1 week, summer to 3. Forget the kids sitting exams, treat them separately, and fit any missed work into those extra 4 weeks.

Each class and school will have missed different amounts of work so each will have to gauge how much they need to catch up on.

Just a theory, no need for heads to be bitten off ?

D

Deleted member 16999

The teachers unions will hate this but maybe this the year when easter and summer holidays are cut short? If the Oxford vaccine comes out by next week than mass vaccination will kick in and by Easter we may start seeing some normality. Cut Easter to 1 week, summer to 3. Forget the kids sitting exams, treat them separately, and fit any missed work into those extra 4 weeks.

Each class and school will have missed different amounts of work so each will have to gauge how much they need to catch up on.

Thank you, someone else who can actually try to look at the problem rather than dismissing it.(y)

D

Deleted member 15344

In this present national crisis "getting some sort of Xmas with their family" is not the most important requirement.

For many it is very important , especially for mental health and well being . I know a nurse who has worked non stop and hasnt seen her family for 7 months , she was due to have Xmas off and go back home on Wednesday to spend 4 days with her family to help her just switch off - do you expect her to now sit in on her own over Xmas ? And the same with many others in that situation, people that have followed to rules to the letter in the hope of being with family for a couple of days - are you ok to tell them it doesn’t matter. I guess you have family to spend time with over Xmas so have zero concept of what it means to others

Saving lives is- keeping the NHS in hospitals functioning is-

This is not a normal battle of policies for normal living, it is about battling a virus B that doesn't recognise Xmas, your wishes, my wishes or anyone else's.
We have telephones, visual communication available to family members.
It is not insurmountable, nor cause for overwhelming mental anguish, to use those methods , just for once, whilst reminding yourself that you are trying to keep your loved ones, yourself and others alive so that future family meetings in Spring, summer and other Xmases, can happen.

"As our case is new, we must think anew,- then we shall save our Country"
Abraham Lincoln.

Was that the same when everyone was encouraged to get out and eat out and spend in shops and pub and restaurants, was that in their minds when they started to get people all mixed in together or when they allowed big shops to open up and markets and cinemas. They allow indoor places of worship yet someone can’t go to their family for a day.

The effect on people’s mental well being could end up being more dramatic

The minute they said that people could no longer create a bubble people in Tier 4 those people with plans already they were immediately going to act so they could have some sort of normality over a very emotionally straining period.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Only issue is the legality of contracts

My wife's contract is when schools are closed she is unemployed rather than it being holiday

Its not a bad idea and most teachers would support it I'm sure but it opens a can of worms

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only issue is the legality of contracts

My wife's contract is when schools are closed she is unemployed rather than it being holiday

Its not a bad idea and most teachers would support it I'm sure but it opens a can of worms
Private school?

A can of worms indeed but these are extraordinary times and we need a bit of radical thinking. Keeping the same rigid system and expecting to manage is pushing it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Private school?

A can of worms indeed but these are extraordinary times and we need a bit of radical thinking. Keeping the same rigid system and expecting to manage is pushing it.

Not private no

Most teachers would be up for helping. All they care about is their students

Also it wouldn't surprise me if schools closed for circuit breakers around the school holidays

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm not making a statement here, just trying to understand the mechanics of the new virus strain.

How does it spread easier than the previous strain. I assume it is transmitted by airborne particles that are breathed in or picked up off surfaces where they have settled as does the previous, so what makes these new particles more virulent. Do they work faster once ingested.

Really interested to understand it.
Virulence refers to the severity of disease. The suggestions so far are not that the virus is more virulent but that it is more transmissible.
The explanation that I have read for the possible increase in transmission is that there are higher viral loads in the upper airway.
If you are shedding more virus you are providing others with a greater chance of picking it up.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You should see what HID who works on fraud gets from social media.

One of my best mates wife I had to unfollow her on insta..

Posting pics of their kids birthday saying due to lockdown rules had to be smaller than normal

5 families in a house

You broke the rules!

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

All talk about the Oxford vaccine seems to have dropped off, perhaps it wasn’t quite ready.