Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
What about the people travelling back and forth for work

Me point is that you are not allowed to travel from one tier to another, that’s been hammered in the golf thread. And seeing as most of those filmed at the train stations were leaving london yesterday. One would suggest work was not involved and folk were going home to extended families.

D

Deleted member 16999

Hope its right but we were told originally to be ready for it before Christmas and have been prepping the sports centre, I have reception and car parking :ROFLMAO: must find my old SSM’s stick. Knowing my luck it will be hissing down.
Me too, A friend who is a Nurse is doing vaccinations at our GP Surgery, she was telling me last night that they are doing no more 1st vaccinations until Jan as they’ve ran out, the only ones they will be doing is the 2nd vaccine for those due.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
It was always going to happen though with the timing of the announcement, anyone living on their own was going to get out of London as soon as they could so that they could spend Xmas with someone.

The people were in Tier 3 with the belief that in a couple of days they would be able to create a bubble with family to spend a bit of time over Xmas together - all within the rules at the time. As soon as they announced that’s all been taken away from you in 8 hours what do people expect those to do ? Just stay at home on their own or get out of Tier 4 within those 8 hours so they could get some sort of Xmas with their family. Give people a couple of days so that there wasn’t a mad rush with trains full to the brim.

it appears to be a case of flying by the seat of their pants with lots of u turns and flip flopping and a lot of people are losing faith quickly
Different continent, same issue?
-----
The cases were found in the city's Northern Beaches area, which entered a five-day lockdown on Saturday.
Since then Sydney residents have rushed to leave the city ahead of Christmas.
Thousands have travelled from the city in New South Wales (NSW) to the neighbouring state of Victoria. In response, Victoria will close its borders to residents of Greater Sydney and the NSW Central Coast from midnight. People will then face a 14-day quarantine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-55378180

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How many more doses of Oxford have been ordered compared to Pfizer?
And are they are available earlier?
I've read 40m of Pfizer and 100m of the oxford one, each person needing 2 doses. I don't know how many oxford ones are ready but hopefully lots.

The big winner for the oxford one is the lack if funky conditions needed to store it. They can set up emergency jab centres in big car parks and rapid fire people through.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I've read 40m of Pfizer and 100m of the oxford one, each person needing 2 doses. I don't know how many oxford ones are ready but hopefully lots.

The big winner for the oxford one is the lack if funky conditions needed to store it. They can set up emergency jab centres in big car parks and rapid fire people through.
Cheers!

I say teach the posties to do it! They get it done in one morning. ;-)
(Don’t use Hermes)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There was an interesting report a week or so ago about the company manufacturing the oxford vaccine in India for India. They have basically gambled that it will pass and are manufacturing now. They have 50m ready and will keep going. That is some bottle by the guy in charge.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
There was an interesting report a week or so ago about the company manufacturing the oxford vaccine in India for India. They have basically gambled that it will pass and are manufacturing now. They have 50m ready and will keep going. That is some bottle by the guy in charge.

As I believe we have paid up front we have gambled as well

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For many it is very important , especially for mental health and well being . I know a nurse who has worked non stop and hasnt seen her family for 7 months , she was due to have Xmas off and go back home on Wednesday to spend 4 days with her family to help her just switch off - do you expect her to now sit in on her own over Xmas ? And the same with many others in that situation, people that have followed to rules to the letter in the hope of being with family for a couple of days - are you ok to tell them it doesn’t matter. I guess you have family to spend time with over Xmas so have zero concept of what it means to others

Was that the same when everyone was encouraged to get out and eat out and spend in shops and pub and restaurants, was that in their minds when they started to get people all mixed in together or when they allowed big shops to open up and markets and cinemas. They allow indoor places of worship yet someone can’t go to their family for a day.

The effect on people’s mental well being could end up being more dramatic

The minute they said that people could no longer create a bubble people in Tier 4 those people with plans already they were immediately going to act so they could have some sort of normality over a very emotionally straining period.
It can be extremely hard for people living on their own who have been waiting to see family in other parts of the country, especially if they have disabilities and have been isolated for some time.

I think it's possible for people on their own to be in a support bubble with others, especially if they are vunrable. I'm not sure how travel restrictions would affect them on tier four though. Say someone on their own in London was in a bubble with family in Devon, could they not travel or be collected.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I think pretty much all of the potential vaccines are being produced in large quantities already so that if/when they get approval there are a lot of doses ready to go. I'm pretty sure that I read that on the BBC news website. Maybe @Ethan will have more info on this.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
The support bubble allowances are the only thing stopping me spending Christmas alone and depressed. I will travel a short distance to stay with my brother and his partner on Christmas Day. I am so thankful to have this allowance as I don’t know how I’d cope this year without that allowance after the worst year of my life.

I feel deeply sorry for everyone affected by the latest announcement and I understand the rush to get out of London and the southeast last night even if I can’t bring myself to openly condone it.

U

User62651

The support bubble allowances are the only thing stopping me spending Christmas alone and depressed. I will travel a short distance to stay with my brother and his partner on Christmas Day. I am so thankful to have this allowance as I don’t know how I’d cope this year without that allowance after the worst year of my life.

I feel deeply sorry for everyone affected by the latest announcement and I understand the rush to get out of London and the southeast last night even if I can’t bring myself to openly condone it.

Good to hear you have somewhere to go.
Getting like a twisted take on 'Planes Trains and Automobiles' for so many working people trying to get to family for Christmas as travel options disappear and criticism increases. Easy to be critical for those less affected too.
Quite a moral dilemma for a lot of good people. It is irresponsible to travel now but it was understandable panic yesterday. Let all the MPs travel back then announce it 11th hr to public is pretty awful imo.

After some recent reprieve with the vaccines seems we have taken 2 steps back. Sad.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As we now appear to be approaching lockdown 3, when is it time to admit defeat, that we can't control this? There comes a point when the collateral damage is worse than what the virus itself. The economy is on its knees, people are being denied basic healthcare, mental health is at an all time low. We have to be close to the point we say lets just get on with it.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is time to admit defeat but not in the way you suggest, which is lunacy.

We to stop kidding ourselves that controlling the virus and saving the economy is a trade off. The latter cannot be achieved without the former. It's time to take the hint from the increasing list of countries that are banning travel to/from the UK and close the borders and lock down properly. Do what we should have done nine months ago.
Which will likely completely finish the economy, kill many more thousands from other ailments and push many many more to the brink of suicide. Yes we should have done it properly 9 months ago, now is too late.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I didnt say abandon all attempts, we can all do our bit with the distancing, wearing masks etc. But lockdown 1 didnt work, lockdown 2 didnt work. Lockdown 3 wont work. You could argue the government weren't hard enough early on and i would agree, you only have to look at this forum to see how people try to get around rules. But look at other countries that locked down far harder than we did, its running out of control there again as well. It might be time to admit this one has us beaten until everyone can be vaccinated :(

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm regularly pretty annoyed by the people constantly and openly breaking the rules, but I mean this most genuinely when I say that really someone in your situation just needs to quietly do what they need to do after what you've been through.

Whatever the official rules are in place, I'd personally give you a pass, so I hope you have as good a time as you can under the circumstances. ?

He's cool his brother is his support bubble and you can travel any distance in tier 1-4 to see you support bubble. Stay over. It's fine and above board

We are in that boat with kids under 1 her parents are our other household