Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My daughter has a step daughter now in 6th form. She (step dau) has had to self isolate 2 times due to fellow pupils contracting the virus, and now the 6th form has had to close ( 2 weeks ago) due to the numbers testing positive.
My youngest has had countless of her clients cancelling their hair appointments due to their kids having to self isolate due to positive cases in their classes.
I have golfing partners who have also similar tales with their grandkids.
It's not the case of "no kids say shut the school", it's what I (and many) are seeing.
To me it's more a case of short sharp massive pain or very long drawn out lesser pain.

Luckily it's not up to you. As it wouldn't be a short pain at all as only short term thinkers see the small picture.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So pure speculation and no facts to back up.
If you want facts from a book, then no.
If you want facts from what has happened to some I now then yes.
However everyone has their own individual view tainted by their own needs.
Personally having been made redundant this year due to the way things have gone and the virus, and now self employed I would happily take the financial pain of nothing coming in if we could have a proper lock down that was enforced and saw the end of this virus.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not usually a conspiracy type person but I'm not sure about the new strain thing. I just think the government needed a smoking gun to stop them losing face when they done a complete u turn on the Xmas plans and the decision not to put London into tier three from the get go.
Can you imagine how much stick they would have got if this "new strain" didn't exist.
I'm not saying there isn't variants of the virus by the way. Just all very convenient

Think it's something to talk about to distract the talk of 31st December

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
My daughter has a step daughter now in 6th form. She (step dau) has had to self isolate 2 times due to fellow pupils contracting the virus, and now the 6th form has had to close ( 2 weeks ago) due to the numbers testing positive.
My youngest has had countless of her clients cancelling their hair appointments due to their kids having to self isolate due to positive cases in their classes.
I have golfing partners who have also similar tales with their grandkids.
It's not the case of "no kids say shut the school", it's what I (and many) are seeing.
To me it's more a case of short sharp massive pain or very long drawn out lesser pain.
Short sharp pain? If they kept kids off school because of the risk of spreading coronavirus then they would still be off from march. That's not short. With this going on until spring at least that's 1 year at best for kids to stay at home. That's not going to happen...... Mainly because I don't have the mental strength and mental resilience to play barbie, lol dolls and judge her gymnastic ability for a year but also the knock on effect of a year to a year and half out of school. Imagine a kid leaving school at 14.5 years old and getting a Job

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The biggest spreader is the schools, and until they realise schools should have been shut ages ok nothing will improve.

Talking to next door neighbours an hour ago. There’s a kid at a local school who has been going to school for four days. Both parents have had Covid for four days. The school has had to send the whole year home. Suffice to say the school wants to know why the parents sent the kid to school. Like Ave said before, common sense ain’t that common.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
The daughters mother has tested positive, apparently her self isolation doesn't end until 27th December :(
I'm picking up my daughter from Uni shortly, she's in bits because she won't be able to see her mother over Christmas.
Ouch!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thought Ayrshire was in tier 3...

Don't t fancy crossing the border from rural Cumbria to higher tiers....?

Not seen anything in our local press about border closed at Gretna.

Movement between different councils illegal form 26th Dec.
Scotland has 5 tiers and no area has ever been in the highest one.
All of mainland Scotland going into tier 4 from Boxing day, Tough on the Borders and D&G.

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Short sharp pain? If they kept kids off school because of the risk of spreading coronavirus then they would still be off from march. That's not short. With this going on until spring at least that's 1 year at best for kids to stay at home. That's not going to happen...... Mainly because I don't have the mental strength and mental resilience to play barbie, lol dolls and judge her gymnastic ability for a year but also the knock on effect of a year to a year and half out of school. Imagine a kid leaving school at 14.5 years old and getting a Job

I agree it's not a good prospect, but then nothing either side of the coin is. The virus has been allowed to embed itself to well in this country for us to be able to carry out an effective course of action, so now all we can do its have our own opinions and ideas whether others agree with them or not.

Whats even more worrying is those countries that managed to control and almost rid themselves of it are seeing a resurgance of it.
Perhaps the conspiracy theorists had it right;)

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Movement between different councils illegal form 26th Dec.
Scotland has 5 tiers and no area has ever been in the highest one.
All of mainland Scotland going into tier 4 from Boxing day, Tough on the Borders and D&G.

Incorrect, massive chunks of west central Scotland have already been in Tier 4, we have just recently returned to Tier 3.

Tier 4 is the highest tier in Scotland as the numbering runs from 0 to 4.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I
Whats even more worrying is those countries that managed to control and almost rid themselves of it are seeing a resurgance of it.
The world is too mobile for this to keep contained. Britain is an island and had peak conditions to exclude it, but once you let the 1st boat or plane in ...
I can’t remember who it was, but someone on this forum lives on a warm island that went for full lockdown and they kept it very much out.
And if they never ever want a tourist then they could keep it out.

I think it was always about buying time for a vaccine, we are nearly there now. That’s my hope, at least.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The world is too mobile for this to keep contained. Britain is an island and had peak conditions to exclude it, but once you let the 1st boat or plane in ...
I can’t remember who it was, but someone on this forum lives on a warm island that went for full lockdown and they kept it very much out.
And if they never ever want a tourist then they could keep it out.

I think it was always about buying time for a vaccine, we are nearly there now. That’s my hope, at least.

The sky around LHR has been like this all the time. Even right at the start plenty planes landing every day from China.
Screenshot_20201220-154227_Flightradar24.jpg

D

Deleted member 16999

Thinking outside the box and would still need a lot of ironing out, but why not increase the school leaving age to 17 for the next 10yrs to give all children the chance to catch up, 6th form 17-19, Uni 19 onwards, Uni may not be a big issue as this would be the same as every one taking a gap year.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thinking outside the box and would still need a lot of ironing out, but why not increase the school leaving age to 17 for the next 10yrs to give all children the chance to catch up, 6th form 17-19, Uni 19 onwards, Uni may not be a big issue as this would be the same as every one taking a gap year.

So the country Is broke, how are we going to find the teachers for another year at school? We don't have the staff for what we need now

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not sure if this has been said so apologies if it has. But if London is in Tier 4, why are trains running so folk can travel to tier 3 and 2. ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure if this has been said so apologies if it has. But if London is in Tier 4, why are trains running so folk can travel to tier 3 and 2. ?

Trains will always run. They are there for essienal travel

Half our staff have to use the trains to get to work so they will always run

Trains are part of key services to the country.