Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Bit of a breakout at my wife’s school in the last few days of term. 10 teachers having tests (including my wife) after 1 rushed to hospital with confirmed COVID. My wife who suffers with anxiety has obviously been worried as we have been awaiting test results, not helped by everyone who was tested before her coming back positive.

Our results have just come through, both negative so feeling much better about the situation.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They will not close schools. For one education is the most important thing..

Two it's kids futures .. they can't afford to have another lost year

Three childcare. Without kids in school parents can't work etc. Which stalls their economic limp through plans.

They are doing everything to rightly keep schools open

Secondary schools will be offered weekly testing or daily testing if someone in a year tests postive instead of isolating everyone offered tests

They will shut down everything bar schools.

Children are the future.
Children may be the future, but unless that bitter pill is swallowed we will continue to drip feed the virus around the country. They could have extended the Xmas holiday back into late November but chose not to.
I get you don't want the schools closed as you have kids, but unless a lockdown is a real lockdown we will continue endlessly chasing the tail of this virus as people follow the rules less and less because as we all know everyone is doing as asked aren't they...

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is anyone even slightly surprised that the South, the most densely populated part of the country, is now facing the lockdown that they should have been in months ago? The only reason they were not put into proper lockdown, is the fact they have more facilities down there to cope, ie more hospitals and doctors and nurses, so although the virus was rife the NHS down there could cope. BUT NOW IT CAN'T!!!! And now they are rushing to get away from the dirty smell hell hole they live in and spread the virus all over the country!!! And the government are allowing this. Well of course they are, they have all the money down there. Don't want to upset money now do we? And now most of the country are to suffer due to certain people not following guidelines and spreading the virus. Me and my familly have followed the instructions to the letter and now are expected to not see evch other over Xmas due to these selfish morons. Well, to hell with that. We've done our bit to ensure we can meet up at Xmas and the governemtn can go to hell with their rules now. Have you seen to roads and shops in the lead up to xmas? In the words of Ricky tOmlinson, lockdown my ar$e! People walking around with masks, supermarkets rammed every bloomin' day. People at work who shouldn't be. Old people out shopping! Why? why????? Most people have not bothered about the tiers and obeyed rules this time. So for once in my life I'm going to go against advice and do whatever I want to do.

Don't bother to slag me off for this I'm not gonna read any replies. Just needed to vent.

Have a great Xmas. I damn well will !!!!!! I've bloody earnt it!

I know Colonel Bogey said he'd not read replies. So be it. But what a load of b'lox. No we in London shouldn't have been in lockdown months ago. And no the virus was not rife down here. Not until very recently. And the whole country has been suffering for a long time because of selfish people not following rules. But that been people everywhere across the whole country, for pretty much the whole time since it started. There you go, thats my rant over. And yes i will read replies - but may not bother to answer

U

User62651

Thought Ayrshire was in tier 3...

Don't t fancy crossing the border from rural Cumbria to higher tiers....?

Not seen anything in our local press about border closed at Gretna.

I think when they say closed it's a decent deterrent only particularly for the 2nd home lot looking to escape to as rural a location as possible during lockdown, not enforceable though with 25 or so road crossings on ENG/SCO border, would need checkpoints on each?:unsure:
There will be flouting of rules galore I'm afraid. You just need an excuse that the visit is for caring for a relative or a work trip.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Children may be the future, but unless that bitter pill is swallowed we will continue to drip feed the virus around the country. They could have extended the Xmas holiday back into late November but chose not to.
I get you don't want the schools closed as you have kids, but unless a lockdown is a real lockdown we will continue endlessly chasing the tail of this virus as people follow the rules less and less because as we all know everyone is doing as asked aren't they...

My kids aren't in school my children are nursery age.

My mother and sister both are teachers keeping schools open

Majority of education support schools open as it's the correct thing to do

People think this is bad for mental health but if we closed schools it would be even worse for children.

Schools must remain open regardless

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My kids aren't in school my children are nursery age.

My mother and sister both are teachers keeping schools open

Majority of education support schools open as it's the correct thing to do

People think this is bad for mental health but if we closed schools it would be even worse for children.

Schools must remain open regardless

I witnessed first hand what the initial lockdown did to my 6yr old daughter without having proper schooling and the opportunity to see her friends. Her behaviour deteriorated, her mood swings were epic (even by 6yr old standards) and she wasn’t the same happy little lady she had been beforehand. She went back in June and the change in her was almost instant, she suddenly had a bounce in her step, she loved it and I genuinely think her mental health improved by going back for those 6 weeks.

Now, bare in mind that that this is a little girl who had full parental support as we were both furloughed. She had all the required tech etc. Thousands of other children were not nearly as lucky and will undoubtedly face a future even less certain that it always was.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I witnessed first hand what the initial lockdown did to my 6yr old daughter without having proper schooling and the opportunity to see her friends. Her behaviour deteriorated, her mood swings were epic (even by 6yr old standards) and she wasn’t the same happy little lady she had been beforehand. She went back in June and the change in her was almost instant, she suddenly had a bounce in her step, she loved it and I genuinely think her mental health improved by going back for those 6 weeks.

Now, bare in mind that that this is a little girl who had full parental support as we were both furloughed. She had all the required tech etc. Thousands of other children were not nearly as lucky and will undoubtedly face a future even less certain that it always was.

Well said.

Plus also kids with learning needs who need the routine of school to function

Education and schools is so important and they are doing everything they can to mitigate for spreading I applaud them for that

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

I can't agree more. My daughter is also 6 and I experienced exactly what you have said. I'm not a worrier by nature but I was very concerned by the change in my daughters demeanour.
Since they've been back there hasn't been a single reported case.

Imo most of the people saying close schools don't have children in school. I have to admit, I probably would have said the same before I had kids

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can't agree more. My daughter is also 6 and I experienced exactly what you have said. I'm not a worrier by nature but I was very concerned by the change in my daughters demeanour.
Since they've been back there hasn't been a single reported case.

Imo most of the people saying close schools don't have children in school. I have to admit, I probably would have said the same before I had kids
My daughter has a step daughter now in 6th form. She (step dau) has had to self isolate 2 times due to fellow pupils contracting the virus, and now the 6th form has had to close ( 2 weeks ago) due to the numbers testing positive.
My youngest has had countless of her clients cancelling their hair appointments due to their kids having to self isolate due to positive cases in their classes.
I have golfing partners who have also similar tales with their grandkids.
It's not the case of "no kids say shut the school", it's what I (and many) are seeing.
To me it's more a case of short sharp massive pain or very long drawn out lesser pain.