Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just snapped this from news at 10. Does it mean that if you are knocked down by a bus on your way home after a positive test you get recorded as a COVID death??
View attachment 33490

Wow, were there a lot of people with positive Covid tests hit by buses today?

I am sure you know that (a) the reason for this definition is to allow comparisons over time without biased interpretations creeping in, and (b) the background death rate from other causes is a 28 day period is actually pretty low and effectively can be disregarded. Even if it is a little bit over inclusive, there are also people who die from Covid who don't have a test.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Just snapped this from news at 10. Does it mean that if you are knocked down by a bus on your way home after a positive test you get recorded as a COVID death??
I recall a bit of a debate about this back in spring, along the lines of - do you really want a load of clinicians/professionals spending a whole load of time debating each case and coming up with a most probable cause, or have them treating people. Obviously your bus example is an extreme.
It's why reputable news items do caveat that comparing stats between countries can be misleading due to differing methods/rules. I think Germany was an example of doing things quite differently, and Belgium were possibly even more "inclusive" than the UK.
There are plenty of graphs of "deaths compared to typical" which can giveva different way of looking at it.
E.g.
https://fingertips.phe.org.uk/stati...lance/excess-mortality-in-england-latest.html

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Small potatoe, my sister's school has been poor with covid

They closed all but year six last week

This week entire school lol

Awful

I do wish there was some consistency with the schools.

My daughter is in Year 10 at college. Early on, entire years were being sent home to self isolate in the event of a single positive test in that year.

Now, all years are regarded as a “bubble” and every lesson has a seating plan. If there is a positive test, initially the whole year is sent home, but within 24 hours the college have worked their own track and trace system, and identified those close contacts who need to remain at home. Everyone else is back to college.

It strikes me that, whilst some schools are working hard to keep kids in a face to face learning environment, others are being deliberately obtuse in what seems a clear attempt to get schools and colleges closed.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do wish there was some consistency with the schools.

My daughter is in Year 10 at college. Early on, entire years were being sent home to self isolate in the event of a single positive test in that year.

Now, all years are regarded as a “bubble” and every lesson has a seating plan. If there is a positive test, initially the whole year is sent home, but within 24 hours the college have worked their own track and trace system, and identified those close contacts who need to remain at home. Everyone else is back to college.

It strikes me that, whilst some schools are working hard to keep kids in a face to face learning environment, others are being deliberately obtuse in what seems a clear attempt to get schools and colleges closed.

See my mums school is secondary. She's isolating now .. whole bubble off etc

Shes calling her students and they all isolating doing their work taking it serious

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Wow, were there a lot of people with positive Covid tests hit by buses today?

I am sure you know that (a) the reason for this definition is to allow comparisons over time without biased interpretations creeping in, and (b) the background death rate from other causes is a 28 day period is actually pretty low and effectively can be disregarded. Even if it is a little bit over inclusive, there are also people who die from Covid who don't have a test.

I was told once that if an autopsy was done on all males that had died of natural causes, a very high percentage would all show/display bowel cancer, but they didn’t know they had it and they didn’t die of cancer!

Are these Covid figures in a similar vain?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was told once that if an autopsy was done on all males that had died of natural causes, a very high percentage would all show/display bowel cancer, but they didn’t know they had it and they didn’t die of cancer!

No.

People are confusing the running count of cases, which requires a stable and consistent definition to have any meaning, with the process of death certification. If someone tested positive for Covid 27 days ago and was hit by a block of ice falling from a jumbo jet, the death certificate would not include Covid. Very few people die from another cause within 28 days of a positive test.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
No.

People are confusing the running count of cases, which requires a stable and consistent definition to have any meaning, with the process of death certification. If someone tested positive for Covid 27 days ago and was hit by a block of ice falling from a jumbo jet, the death certificate would not include Covid. Very few people die from another cause within 28 days of a positive test.

Ok, I thought that would be the case, however, how many times on the news do we hear, when somebody known passes, that they had recently been tested as positive with Covid, inferring that they died of it, but obviously hadn’t!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
50,000 UK deaths.
I recall all the insults I received from a few flat earth posters on here 6 months ago when I suggested at least 20,000 will die unless the authorities changed direction.
Sad times.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
50,000 UK deaths.
I recall all the insults I received from a few flat earth posters on here 6 months ago when I suggested at least 20,000 will die unless the authorities changed direction.
Sad times.
Remember that for flat earthers there is no horizon and so for them there is nothing to see over...if they can't see it it doesn't exist.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Things taken a turn for the worse in work. Now back to a hot zone exclusive to Covid. Other areas now getting to capacity and it seems to be ramping up quickly just like last time when it went from nothing to taking over theatres. The next few days may be "interesting"

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok, I thought that would be the case, however, how many times on the news do we hear, when somebody known passes, that they had recently been tested as positive with Covid, inferring that they died of it, but obviously hadn’t!

Not very often. But remember that it is perfectly possible that if someone was in hospital with Covid, got home but had a stroke or heart attack a couple of weeks later, it was still due to Covid as one of the features is this persisting inflammatory syndrome which affects major organs and the circulation. The vast majority of Covid deaths happen in the acute episode, though. These systems are never foolproof, but the odd weird case doesn't really affect the basic validity of it.

Some saw a report by the US CDC which said that 90% of people who died from/with Covid had one or more co-morbidities, and pretty soon Facebook had loads of posts screaming that CDC said that less than 10% actually died of Covid, which was either a deliberate misreading or basic scientific illiteracy. There aren't too many of us who remember persimmon woods who don't have a co-morbidity or two, but most of us will last a good bit longer if Covid allows.

Last edited:

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
50,000 UK deaths.
Sad times.

Aye but not too sad for you to post some sort of inappropriate smug "I told you so" post eh?...Sad times indeed.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Things taken a turn for the worse in work. Now back to a hot zone exclusive to Covid. Other areas now getting to capacity and it seems to be ramping up quickly just like last time when it went from nothing to taking over theatres. The next few days may be "interesting"

Another few weeks to go, I think. It will be very dicey to allow much of a step down on Dec 2nd. I bet they who must not be mentioned are wishing they had jumped sooner, would have given more of a runway.

D

Deleted member 15344

50,000 UK deaths.
Sad times.
Why would someone post a “I told you so ” because of a death level ? Taking scoring points to new low

Last edited by a moderator:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

You seem to be taking the view that the death rate for Covid is an exaggeration by the authorities and as such there isn't really a problem.

Why would the authorities want to do this, what advantages does it give them? Would you suggest it's some kind of plan to take more control of us for some reason, is the real reason to start vaccination to implant microchips into us, is a tinfoil hat the gateway to enlightenment.

Just asking.