Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
They're sort of tights for feet!
Compression socks?

My daughter used to work weekends at a kennels up here. The lady who ran it had her own labs, 9 at the last count. One had a litter in the summer and two are now being trialled as Covid sniffer dogs at Durham University. If you are going to be sniffed by any dog a black lab is not the worst :D

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Compression socks?

My daughter used to work weekends at a kennels up here. The lady who ran it had her own labs, 9 at the last count. One had a litter in the summer and two are now being trialled as Covid sniffer dogs at Durham University. If you are going to be sniffed by any dog a black lab is not the worst :D

No they're like the feet of tights but no legs in them - weird.

The study is a combined effort with Durham, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and Medical Detection Dogs. It would be a very useful tool at airports if they could identify incoming passengers with the virus.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Aye but not too sad for you to post some sort of inappropriate smug "I told you so" post eh?...Sad times indeed.
Surely the point is not so much DfTs 'I told you so' - but that many disparaged and bad-mouthed those who suggested that it was possible - if not likely...and cast such a suggestion as yet another 'project fear'. And yet here we are - over 50,000 deaths with little explanation or apology from those who did the disparaging about what they got wrong :( Because we in England are in a lockdown as a result...a lockdown that affects us all to one degree or another - and we must learn from what went wrong that has got us here - as you said - sad times indeed.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
That sounds like fetish wear if ever I heard it.

thoughts on this Ethan would be appreciated, taken from sky news today.

Quote,
When in January this year Professor Sahin came across a scientific paper on a coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan, China, it struck him how similar his antibody drugs for cancer were to those needed for potential viral vaccines.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely the point is not so much DfTs 'I told you so' - but that many disparaged and bad-mouthed those who suggested that it was possible - if not likely...and cast such a suggestion as yet another 'project fear'. And yet here we are - over 50,000 deaths with little explanation or apology from those who did the disparaging about what they got wrong :( Because we in England are in a lockdown as a result...a lockdown that affects us all to one degree or another - and we must learn from what went wrong that has got us here - as you said - sad times indeed.

I think it is absolutely about DFT's "I told you so" its extremely distasteful, and as LP'S earlier posted "takes scoring points to a new low" . Maybe the people who need to apologise are the ones who didnt follow the rules !

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think it is absolutely about DFT's "I told you so" its extremely distasteful, and as LP'S earlier post "takes scoring points to a new low" with also . Maybe the people who need to apologise are the ones who didnt follow the rules !
OK - put that aside and the point remains about the disparaging and dismissing that some did - some of it being directed at specific individuals - and so it has come to pass...And if it is all us - Joe Public - who are at fault then let's hear it from those who made such remarks.

As far as 'extremely distasteful' and a 'new low'. Well some might think so - others might think it's only pointing out the truth of what was said. That what was said might have had an influence on many of us Joe Public that caused some of us to act and not follow the rules as we might have had the dismissals not been so vocal. And remember - it wasn't DfT who spoke the warnings back then...

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
OK - put that aside and the point remains about the disparaging and dismissing that some did - some of it being directed at specific individuals - and so it has come to pass...And if it is all us - Joe Public - who are at fault then let's hear it from those who made such remarks.

As far as 'extremely distasteful' and a 'new low'. Well some might think so - others might think it's only pointing out the truth of what was said. That what was said might have had an influence on many of us Joe Public that caused some of us to act and not follow the rules as we might have had the dismissals not been so vocal.

Pot and kettle comes to mind

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
thoughts on this Ethan would be appreciated, taken from sky news today.

Quote,
When in January this year Professor Sahin came across a scientific paper on a coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan, China, it struck him how similar his antibody drugs for cancer were to those needed for potential viral vaccines.

His drugs aren't antibody drugs. They are RNA drugs which deliver small pieces of genetic code to perform certain actions. In some cases, these sorts of drug block development of unwanted proteins, but in the case of the Covid vaccine, to promote development of a protein (the Covid antibody) by introducing the genetic code for a key part of the protein spike of the virus which will trigger an immune response. The specific use of this as a "vaccine" is news, but the general principle has already been established.

A lot of the pathological processes in cancer cells are similar to processes that happen in immunological diseases, so similar drugs are now used across a wide range of conditions. It didn't use to be that way, when oncology drugs were quite distinct from most others, but as understanding of disease processes have improved, more elegant treatments with fewer side effects have come through.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

As far as 'extremely distasteful' and a 'new low'. Well some might think so - others might think it's only pointing out the truth of what was said. That what was said might have had an influence on many of us Joe Public that caused some of us to act and not follow the rules as we might have had the dismissals not been so vocal. And remember - it wasn't DfT who spoke the warnings back then...
Did this actually happen or is it a figment of your and DFTs imagination. I can't recall anyone calling him down for forecasting 50K Covid deaths earlier in the year, I recall the Scientists suggesting a possible 500K if we used Herd Immunity.

I am happy to be proven wrong here so how about pulling up some proof of these allegations.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Did this actually happen or is it a figment of your and DFTs imagination. I can't recall anyone calling him down for forecasting 50K Covid deaths earlier in the year, I recall the Scientists suggesting a possible 500K if we used Herd Immunity.

I am happy to be proven wrong here so how about pulling up some proof of these allegations.
I haven't looked very hard...

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/ne...an-blasts-governments-scaremongering-18974560

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...tty-Vallances-doomsday-prediction-50-000.html

Last edited: