Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
FFS What on earth are you complaining about? what is Pie-in-the-Sky about it?

I'm simply suggesting that the government could pay out a basic amount now to ALL zero hours works and self-employed to enable them to feed themselves and pay for power and gas. I am not suggesting ANYTHING else - and this has nothing to do with what my son might need.

Just a simple quick non-means tested payment that could be done almost immediately - and if the government needed the money back it could be included as income in a SA tax return any recipients do for 20/21.

Rather than just scoff and dismiss how about telling me what the problem with that is - which is after all what I asked at the outset.

Individuals and families just need a bit of income to keep themselves going for the next few months. Not a lot - just enough.
Lots of zero hour staff will work significantly less than full time.

Most at a guess will be on 16 hours or less as they’re either students, part time or claiming benefits. To blanket pay a set figure is not the way to go.

They do need to make a ruling on it. But its complicated, which is why it is taking time. Continually beating the same drum is getting somewhat tiresome. Hence some rather blunt responses on here.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't understand why the government is not able to simply say that all zero hours contract workers (not covered by measures already announced) and all self-employed - will get a flat rate payment direct from government of £1000/month (an amount often mentioned in context of Universal Basic Income).

With mortgage payments deferred and all other payment to CCs and Lenders on hold, plus no risk of eviction through non-payment of rent (landlords can apply separately for loss of income) that gives every family £250/week for food (remembering that only essential food can be bought and plenty of us already have food for a week or three) and power (if you pay through a meter).

And in these difficult months ahead £250/week is surely sufficient for any family? What is it that I am missing?
Do you think that they and self employed deserve more than those who might currently be on benefits.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The good citizens of east Herts are a rule abiding lot. On my way into work noticed that there are only 4 cars in the station car park (maybe 80 slots) and about 10 people on the train into London (which is running a half service).

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rich looking after the rich eh.

Terrible news, really upsetting bout Charlie, glad he's been tested While frontline workers arent being tested.

What a complete and utter feck up.
I think it was more over concerns with the large amount of cross contamination that might have occurred due to the last large public meeting he was engaged in.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Lots of zero hour staff will work significantly less than full time.

Most at a guess will be on 16 hours or less as they’re either students, part time or claiming benefits. To blanket pay a set figure is not the way to go.

They do need to make a ruling on it. But its complicated, which is why it is taking time. Continually beating the same drum is getting somewhat tiresome. Hence some rather blunt responses on here.

£425/month - per month - is diddly squat in the great scheme of things when the government is paying 80% of salaries to all employees.

It is not based on earnings - it is based on the basic NEED to buy food and power/gas. Why make it difficult. Why try and find reasons to NOT support those whose income has dropped to ZERO. Yes there will be many for whom £425 / month is more than they earn in a month - but any earnings-based payment will see very many being paid a great deal more.

Indeed £425 is only just above the maximum you can get on UC. So avoid the cost and delay of means or earning testing or trying to claim UC - and just pay it out. £2.7bn / month. And get much of it back through 20/21 SA Tax return

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
FFS What on earth are you complaining about? what is Pie-in-the-Sky about it?

I'm simply suggesting that the government could pay out a basic amount now to ALL zero hours works and self-employed to enable them to feed themselves and pay for power and gas. I am not suggesting ANYTHING else - and this has nothing to do with what my son might need.

Just a simple quick non-means tested payment that could be done almost immediately - and if the government needed the money back it could be included as income in a SA tax return any recipients do for 20/21.

Rather than just scoff and dismiss how about telling me what the problem with that is - which is after all what I asked at the outset.

Individuals and families just need a bit of income to keep themselves going for the next few months. Not a lot - just enough.

It might be a good idea to take a breath before posting.

I recognise your son's earnings are not good but he made his own career choice and at age 27 should be capable of caring for himself: posting on here and constantly moaning about what the Government has done will change nothing.

We are in exceptional circumstances and the medical profession and Government machine is trying its best to plot a path for everyone. None of this can happen in an instant so there will be issues as things are corrected and revised because the plans must be for the majority with refinements for minorities.

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
Went to my local Sainbury's this morning, they are limiting it to 20 customers in the store at any one time.

7:30 to 8:00 for NHS and essentially workers, 8:00 to 9:00 for the OAP's and the vulnerable.
Had to wait in the glorious sunshine for 30 minutes, keeping 2m away from people in the queue. Got everything I needed but forgot the mushrooms :p

D

Deleted member 1740

I think it was more over concerns with the large amount of cross contamination that might have occurred due to the last large public meeting he was engaged in.

On that basis will all of those who have been in contact with him be tested? Doubt it. Will be told to self isolate.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
The situation on the Tubes is critical. Boris should order that all tube drivers
must be tested, including those who are presently self isolating.
If they are "clear" they must return to work ( they are safe as they drive in a cab , alone, do they not).
Restore all tube services, and take the decision making from Khan.

Or, better still, shut down ALL non-essential workplaces...

D

Deleted member 1740

Do you think that they and self employed deserve more than those who might currently be on benefits.

Can I answer this??

I think all self employed who have paid tax and are now out of work and struggling should be getting the exact same as the employed lot are getting I this time of need.

This isnt a free for all let's get as much as we can. It's about helping those who are genuinely in need of help at this worrying time.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can I answer this??

I think all self employed who have paid tax and are now out of work and struggling should be getting the exact same as the employed lot are getting I this time of need.

This isnt a free for all let's get as much as we can. It's about helping those who are genuinely in need of help at this worrying time.

Agree but it's a difficult balance that that the simple service have to make.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
This distancing is and isnt working.

Out on the streets and at many locations it’s fine.

Waitrose had a two hour queue just to get in and everyone keeping 3m apart.

Nisa Local has no restrictions on entry and people in there 3 feet apart at most, pushing past in the small aisles etc. I tried to social distance in there but others made it impossible. I was in and out in 10 mins as it was so uncomfortable I just grabbed what I needed, paid (a very exposed employee) and left.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It might be a good idea to take a breath before posting.

I recognise your son's earnings are not good but he made his own career choice and at age 27 should be capable of caring for himself: posting on here and constantly moaning about what the Government has done will change nothing.

We are in exceptional circumstances and the medical profession and Government machine is trying its best to plot a path for everyone. None of this can happen in an instant so there will be issues as things are corrected and revised because the plans must be for the majority with refinements for minorities.

It's got NOTHING to do with my son - absolutely nothing at all. We can afford to support him through this no matter what.

I am actually thinking about the 4.8m self-employed and 1.5m zero hours contract works who might not have a fall back such as my son has. And whose income has dropped instantly to ZERO.

I repeat. This has NOTHING TO DO WITH MY SON.

What is the problem with paying everyone £425/month when the government is paying 80% of employees salaries - and these figures will be in general very much more than £425/month.

If you think these 6.3m individuals are just going to have to wait - then fine - that's for you to think - but it's not how I think. We have to get some immediate guarantee of money to workers who continue to work - and cram onto the underground in London - because they have no other source of income.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's got NOTHING to do with my son - absolutely nothing at all. We can afford to support him through this no matter what.

I am actually thinking about the 4.8m self-employed and 1.5m zero hours contract works who might not have a fall back such as my son has. And whose income has dropped instantly to ZERO.

I repeat. This has NOTHING TO DO WITH MY SON.

What is the problem with paying everyone £425/month when the government is paying 80% of employees salaries - and these figures will be in general very much more than £425/month.

If you think these 6.3m individuals are just going to have to wait - then fine - that's for you to think - but it's not how I think. We have to get some immediate guarantee of money to workers who continue to work - and cram onto the underground in London - because they have no other source of income.

Everything is going through HMRC, they know exactly what people have been earning prior to this and what benefits they are on. All they need to do is take and average of a number of months and hey presto they know Ho will much the person has managed on before.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Everything is going through HMRC, they know exactly what people have been earning prior to this and what benefits they are on. All they need to do is take and average of a number of months and hey presto they know Ho will much the person has managed on before.
And I bet that for the vast majority it is a lot more than £425/month - and can you just imagine the strain that HMRC and DWP are under at the moment. Why wait - why faff about. Just pay something like £425/month to everyone whose income is now ZERO and would be eligible for the maximum under UC which is £500/month for a couple both over 25.

I am sorry - I just do not get the issue that some on here have with making an instant payment of relatively little - consistent with what they'd be due under UC in any case - that means 6m families don't have to worry about food on their table and their lights and heating being on.

And it also means they immediately don't have to go to work and so help with damping down the acceleration in growth of infections. Is that not after all the bottom line of what MUST be achieved.