Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
There seems to an emphasis on paying out to the Self Employed, but although there is a message to Stay at Home, the government also do not want to stop businesses from trading working, including the SE, if they can do safely.
CD7DD3F0-D5F7-4037-851D-94CEE067EA22.png
B0D2B3AA-4D0C-4F97-9706-A09D259AE66E.png

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You like to state and shout it’s not about your son, but you constantly bring him into it, so, before this outbreak he was also in arrears with his council tax, so he doesn’t manage himself and money very well, does he? But hey, let’s throw some tax payers money at him, to squander away! You also stated his partner is at home all day every day, why?
I use him as an example - because he has had council tax payments put on hold then so can anyone. I mention him as I know it for a FACT - it is not an assertion or hope. It's a FACT.

And we know that mortgage payments will be deferred or put on hold - and landlords will not be able to evict based upon non-payment of rent. And I know for a fact that pretty much every other debt or payment an individual can have can be deferred or put onto a very low payment payment plan - and I know this for a fact as I have spent the last 4 months dong this.

You clearly don't understand how very low paid struggle from week to week, month to month. Put money away - you are having a laugh. It would be funny if it weren't sad that so many thoink that way about the poor.

And btw - is the government not throwing bucket loads of money at the employed but unable to work as their employers business has had to close or stop? Money the employer and employee does NOT have to pay back even though things like mortgage can be deferred; added to outstanding loan; or load period extended.

Or is it that throwing money at the often much better off employed, is different from throwing money at the often very poor SE or ZHC. Well for some it seems that it is.

BTW - as you like to have a go at my son. He built up council tax arrears largely because he and his partner did not want to make any claims on the state for benefits (he has never in 6 yrs post-uni claimed a penny from the state in benefits - not one penny) - he wanted to try and make his own way without state support - but things didn't always turn out as he'd hope - as hard as he might try and as hard as he might work.

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Isolation Day 2..
I'm feeling quite chipper
Apart from sniffles that I've had for months I'm feeling fine
Herself is still coughing but it seems to be less - got a feeling it's just a cold but....
The Boy?...eating pizza:rolleyes:
All's quiet of the western front

Day 2. DAY 2!?!

You just wait till you hit day 12. You won't have changed your boxers for 5 days, nor seen the razor for a week - you've hidden that for safety reasons. There'll be eleventeen empty beer bottles next to your armchair, and that's just this morning's feast. You have the shakes as you reach for the whisky, with a fear of will it last.

The kitchen will be deemed the communal area/demilitarised zone, with each of you having your own room.

But don't worry, only 17 days more to go... hahahahahaha(demonic laugh)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I use him as an example - because he has had council tax payments put on hold then so can anyone. I mention him as I know it for a FACT - it is not an assertion or hope. It's a FACT.

And we know that mortgage payments will be deferred or put on hold - and landlords will not be able to evict based upon non-payment of rent. And I know for a fact that pretty much every other debt or payment an individual can have can be deferred or put onto a very low payment payment plan - and I know this for a fact as I have spent the last 4 months dong this.

Take a breath Hugh. It will be sorted when it is sorted. All you can do is make sure you can support him till then. Be concerned about everyone else in the same boat but don't let those concerns overwhelm you. Chill pill required.

Cake

Club Champion
Visit site
My opinion is if you’ve paid into the pot, in your hour of NEED you should be supported. Isn’t that what the welfare state was about?
I completely agree... my point was more around what some would define as ‘essential’ vs others, and by extension what would be a good number to meet the need. Personally I am not sure how I would live on £94 a week, but also I am not sure how the girl got to £900 a month as her essential outgoings.

Thanks to Wolf’s post I’ve broadened my perspective a bit as I wouldn’t have thought to include CCJ’s or Magistrate’s fines... I guess that anything that you are committed to (through past actions or signing up for credit on phones/cars etc when things were going well) is an essential outgoing, even if you wouldn’t sign up for them now.

The problem is still therefore how to determine the right amount - means testing would make it cost more and take longer, and if you just cover peoples’ list of existing expenses then you risk alienating those that were perhaps more frugal etc.

Tough job all round, and I‘m glad I don’t have to square that circle.

D

Deleted member 1740

I completely agree... my point was more around what some would define as ‘essential’ vs others, and by extension what would be a good number to meet the need. Personally I am not sure how I would live on £94 a week, but also I am not sure how the girl got to £900 as her essential outgoings.

Thanks to Wolf’s post I’ve broadened my perspective a bit as I wouldn’t have thought to include CCJ’s or Magistrate’s fines... I guess that anything that you are committed to (through past actions or signing up for credit on phones/cars etc when things were going well) is an essential outgoing, even if you wouldn’t sign up for them now.

The problem is still therefore how to determine the right amount - means testing would make it cost more and take longer, and if you just cover peoples’ list of existing expenses then you risk alienating those that were perhaps more frugal etc.

Tough job all round, and I‘m glad I don’t have to square that circle.

100% agree

i think to level the SE/PAYE payment would be fair.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

This the bit that really boils my piss. Why is it any of my business how much anyone else gets? I'm quite frugal. I don't have expensive outgoings particularly. But in a situation like this, why would I get worked up because someone is getting a bit more than me? As long as I can cover my essential (or better termed "unavoidable") outgoings then I don't care 2 pints of sick whatever anyone else gets..

It's this attitude that is one of the most annoying things wrong with Society. People are more concerned about the perceived injustices, than they are about the actual ones.............

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The Tory party's largest donors....the construction industry, seem to now be influencing Government policy.
Nicola taking a totally different view in Scotland and is now setting up her own advisory group.

Fish

Banned
Visit site

You clearly don't understand how very low paid struggle from week to week, month to month. Put money away - you are having a laugh. It would be funny if it weren't sad that so many thoink that way about the poor.

And btw - is the government not throwing bucket loads of money at the employed but unable to work as their employers business has had to close or stop? Money the employer and employee does NOT have to pay back even though things like mortgage can be deferred; added to outstanding loan; or load period extended.

Or is it that throwing money at the often much better off employed, is different from throwing money at the often very poor SE or ZHC. Well for some it seems that it is.

BTW - as you like to have a go at my son. He built up council tax arrears largely because he and his partner did not want to make any claims on the state for benefits (he has never in 6 yrs post-uni claimed a penny from the state in benefits - not one penny) - he wanted to try and make his own way without state support - but things didn't always turn out as he'd hope - as hard as he might try and as hard as he might work.

I’ve not had a go at your son, you’ve constantly brought him into the debates so it’s only right that he can be referred to, or is it only a one-way debate? It may be admirable to not claim what he’s entitled to, but in his case, imo, it’s foolish, hence his arrears, and what of his partner, which in your own words, is home all day everyday, obviously not claiming if of the same ilk, obviously not working, so being supported by someone who can’t afford to support them and who’s morals outweigh sensibility!

No doubt this is why you don’t want a means test, but I’d rather see one, then the right people get the right amount support!!

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Tory party's largest donors....the construction industry, seem to now be influencing Government policy.
Nicola taking a totally different view in Scotland and is now setting up her own advisory group.

And there you have it. Oh hang on, she has been part of the policy making group working on and with Cobra, and has implemented jointly the instructions of the government, her only disagreement is over construction. She has been part of the system and acted responsibly.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Maybe if he stopped hammering us with utter :poop: there wouldn't be an issue? Just saying.

You know what it dont matter, ave gone through this thread to see what ave done wrong.
You know what..nowt.
I came away when the FOC said it was safe. Others came on holiday after me, others were hoping they could still go on holiday Others on here who have slagged me off had there holidays to different parts of the world cancelled by the same FOC Goverment dept. I adhered to the rules and others have. The difference is what?
My holiday is cut short because of the planks of this world that feel it is urgent to go to skegness for a candy floss. They could not understand the severity of this Covid. Something that you the forum members mentioned in great detail.
Guess what I put on a post about travel and Covid. My travel was deemed safe, the travellers to skegness etc not. And it is met by rabid abuse.
Scarcasm and the customary name calling which is now the norm. At the same time I am.looking from afar at a country that has gone to ***. Panic buying, lack of social distancing, robbing of NHS badges, profiteering. My country looks ugly from afar.
Guess what I mentioned about having to look 2 kids when I got home. The Banshee wailing rea had fever pitch. My daughter had spoken to 111 re our situation. There answer, there are hundreds of thousands of kids that will be going from parent to parent. And grandparents. IT IS SAFE AS LONG AS YOU HAVE NO COVID SYMPTOMS.
We do not have to isolate because we are returning on a.plane..we have to isolate be cause stephen wanted his Candy floss at Skeggy.
You know what ave trawled through over 100 plus pages of this topic and I asked a question re who else could the government ask to get advice.
Ironically I found it on post 548 I think it was written by Ethan. It is the best post by a country mile on here and yet I feel hardly anyone has read it. It gave me the answers i were looking for yet my question was met once more with rammel.
This Covid topic had degenerated from an informative subject into the normal name calling sarcastic drivel that is becoming the norm. Grown men calling one another names.
I could go on, but am not gonna waste my breath.
Everyone look after yourselves.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’ve not had a go at your son, you’ve constantly brought him into the debates so it’s only right that he can be referred to, or is it only a one-way debate? It may be admirable to not claim what he’s entitled to, but in his case, imo, it’s foolish, hence his arrears, and what of his partner, which in your own words, is home all day everyday, obviously not claiming if of the same ilk, obviously not working, so being supported by someone who can’t afford to support them and who’s morals outweigh sensibility!

No doubt this is why you don’t want a means test, but I’d rather see one, then the right people get the right amount support!!
Who says I don't want a means test? I want whatever enables SE and those on ZHCs to be able to stop work NOW - whatever system that is - or guarantee is given - I frankly don't care.

There doesn't seem to be any means testing whatsoever for those in 'normal' contacted hours employment - they are getting 80% of their monthly wage paid to them. No means testing anywhere in sight as far as I can see. So I don't know why there is a need to means-test SE or ZHCs.

Note: If my son is means tested he'll probably get significantly more than £500/month if it is means tested against say last 3months of income.

Cake

Club Champion
Visit site
This the bit that really boils my piss. Why is it any of my business how much anyone else gets?
It's this attitude that is one of the most annoying things wrong with Society. People are more concerned about the perceived injustices, than they are about the actual ones.............

Yep - sadly the “as long as I’m all right, Jack” attitude that seems to be prevalent in society (as evidenced by stockpiling etc) doesn’t seem to apply when it comes to looking over and being envious about what someone else might be getting.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm just using £1000 per month as an example. OK then. The government gives every zero hours contract worker and everyone self-employed £500 / month. Straight off. No issues - no checking or means testing. And if we are that concerned about the cost to the country then it counts as income for 2020/21 SA tax return. But I know that my lad puts about £40 / week into the meter for gas and leccy. So make it £625 /month assuming £125/month gas and leccy - and £125/week food. And whatever it is, it counts as income for 20/21 tax return
Were just trying to lighten the mood no offence meant.
You are correct the government have been a bit slow on the self employed side of help.
But it must be a nightmare to implement.
The Torries think everyone has money in the bank like them so can self finance until they sort it out.
But in lots of cases that is just not true.
They have done a good job up to now but the fine details will take time.
I think your original £1000 monthly is not far off the mark, that’s only £12,000 a year after tax.
Although some don’t get anywhere near that.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it was more over concerns with the large amount of cross contamination that might have occurred due to the last large public meeting he was engaged in.
I would put money on frontline workers in the nhs meeting more people than Charlie.
My sons at home and his wife both nhs workers because they havnt been tested they can’t go back to work.
Priorities all wrong here.
But typical of treatment of the royals let’s be honest.