Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Testing kits may be available very soon according to Sky news
I have seen that in some German news as well.

Has anyone seen the FT article about the Oxford University model that suggests that we had Corona for much longer over here and 50% already had it?

I can’t entirely believe it because the deaths are just starting now, on the other hand I find the infection rate of 1 to 2.5 quite low for a free roaming virus.

Didn’t go to Oxford, but I wish a successful antibodies test could prove them right.

D

Deleted member 23270

When the genome was identified by the Chinese, they sent a copy of it to med labs/research facilities around the world. The genome from the first Spanish victim was identified by the lab at the University of Valencia as being a mutated version of the Chinese one. Similar enough to be recognised as a Coronavirus, but different enough to recognise it had undergone an antigenic shift.

If its very similar, the antibodies to developed against the first version should work. If its too different, who knows. Unfortunately, this also makes developing an effective vaccine a little harder.
My G/F had the horrible bug/virus that was going around at Christmas time. One of the conspiracy theories is that it was Covid or a version of it. As I was obviously in very close proximity to her I'm clutching at straws that we will both be OK.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
My G/F had the horrible bug/virus that was going around at Christmas time. One of the conspiracy theories is that it was Covid or a version of it. As I was obviously in very close proximity to her I'm clutching at straws that we will both be OK.

I had a horrible one about 6 weeks back, that last over 2 weeks. I've never had an upper resp tract infection like it. For 3 nights I had to try and sleep sitting up - felt like I was drowning, and the cough for a couple of days was almost constant.

Daughter#2 had something similar about the same time, back in the UK. She was a lot worse, not helped by asthma and Lupus. To say we were worried for her was a mild understatement.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It's got NOTHING to do with my son - absolutely nothing at all. We can afford to support him through this no matter what.

I am actually thinking about the 4.8m self-employed and 1.5m zero hours contract works who might not have a fall back such as my son has. And whose income has dropped instantly to ZERO.

I repeat. This has NOTHING TO DO WITH MY SON.

What is the problem with paying everyone £425/month when the government is paying 80% of employees salaries - and these figures will be in general very much more than £425/month.

If you think these 6.3m individuals are just going to have to wait - then fine - that's for you to think - but it's not how I think. We have to get some immediate guarantee of money to workers who continue to work - and cram onto the underground in London - because they have no other source of income.

Yet every post you mention your son.

I personally think what you do for your son is admirable and of course you will always help family but as Drdel said he's 27 and not a silly wee boy anymore. Every week you post about doing XY or Z for him or paying AB or C.

Have you ever sat him down and told him that his career choice at 27 just doesn't look like being a success and to perhaps look elsewhere as a career?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23270

I had a horrible one about 6 weeks back, that last over 2 weeks. I've never had an upper resp tract infection like it. For 3 nights I had to try and sleep sitting up - felt like I was drowning, and the cough for a couple of days was almost constant.

Daughter#2 had something similar about the same time, back in the UK. She was a lot worse, not helped by asthma and Lupus. To say we were worried for her was a mild understatement.
Fingers crossed we have all built up some form of immunity (y)

D

Deleted member 21258

The virus does have two strains already detected IIRC L and S. Both fairly similar allegedly. Let hope it does change much to others and that the immune system can recognise CO19 unlike colds.

I also had something ?virus? for about 3 months from about Oct to Dec(symptoms of the CO19, dry cough, not great breathing(exercise was like I had really bad asthma, lungs bad), a couple of times I thought I was on the mend but the lung breathing just kept coming back. Never have had problems breathing before with flus & colds and such like.

Wife/son had it first but was very mild(sore throat, fever one day and then kind of went away).

Mum caught it just before Christmas still hasn't recovered, lungs problem, she has had steroids/rest/antibiotics/puffer thing etc and next stop was hospital but looks like to have turned the corner.

Its an interesting thought....and have read similar comments on tweeter.

D

Deleted member 23270

Off licences added to the list of "essential" retailers and allowed to stay open.

I like a drink but that is really nonsensical. Got to wonder what's next - bookies reopening?
Excellent idea! I'm going to bet on what colour tie Boris will be wearing when he gives his next daily update :LOL:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Ditto had a very nasty chest infection lasted about a week but kept coming back for a lot longer.
I normally don’t get stuff like that so hope I have had it.

My son picked it up and now can’t go back to work in the nhs as he hasn’t been tested.
Absolute joke to find out Prince Charles has been!!!

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

There were many of my family that had symptoms similar to coronavirus 3 months ago, I think it’s more than conspiracy theories, I think it must have been some kind of stain of coronavirus.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
HID and I have had a bug for about 6/7 weeks it goes and then comes back and it's like a flu but milder. We dont have Covid symptoms though

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ditto had a very nasty chest infection lasted about a week but kept coming back for a lot longer.

My son picked it up and now can’t go back to work in the nhs as he hasn’t been tested.

Apparently it's NHS Scotlands policy to test over 70's showing system as a matter of course so not a joke but a matter of policy.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

One of the biggest things that can help is to give front line staff tests unfortunately it’s getting spread about in hospitals because the staff don’t have the right equipment, also sadly nhs workers are getting infected.

Be interesting to know if Prince Charles had a private test if it wasn’t it’s a disgrace he can get one when nhs staff can’t.