Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
The programme of work I am on has been terminated due to Covid-19. My contract has been terminated with it. As a Contractor I will be entitled to very little. Its also unclear what "net earnings" mean from a freelance worker point of view. No explanation has been given, nor if you are entitled under the support if you have been terminated.

Luckily I am a career contractor so know to keep a bit aside for contract gaps and downtime. Many , I suspect, will not have had that foresight.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
There's a possibility of an announcement on self employed package late today but if not then almost certainly tomorrow
So says Martin Lewis.

There already has been in the draft legislation. But it mentions nett earnings with no clarity on what they include as nett when it comes to Freelance/ Contract work.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We pay £1300 a year - we are in Surrey - he is in Sheffield. He is on a meter. His partner is at home all day every day. He is looking to come off it. But at his current pre-payment rate this is what it costs him. Have you not read how much more expensive pre-pay rates are?
Some Pensioners are expected to manage on the basic state pension of £129.20 a week

D

Deleted member 1418

What is the problem with paying everyone £425/month when the government is paying 80% of employees salaries - and these figures will be in general very much more than £425/month.

If you think these 6.3m individuals are just going to have to wait - then fine - that's for you to think - but it's not how I think. We have to get some immediate guarantee of money to workers who continue to work - and cram onto the underground in London - because they have no other source of income.

You've made some valid points in your posts but I would expect no-one on here can tell you, even if they did work for HMT or HMRC as Government policy is changing rapidly given the circumstances we're in.

Have you thought about actually e-mailing Treasury and HMRC? Their contact details can be found on GOV.UK.

Failing that, you could read the latest Government advice and guidance on there too.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
And I bet that for the vast majority it is a lot more than £425/month - and can you just imagine the strain that HMRC and DWP are under at the moment. Why wait - why faff about. Just pay something like £425/month to everyone whose income is now ZERO and would be eligible for the maximum under UC which is £500/month for a couple both over 25.

I am sorry - I just do not get the issue that some on here have with making an instant payment of relatively little - consistent with what they'd be due under UC in any case - that means 6m families don't have to worry about food on their table and their lights and heating being on.

And it also means they immediately don't have to go to work and so help with damping down the acceleration in growth of infections. Is that not after all the bottom line of what MUST be achieved.

I know exactly the strain that the DWP and HMRC are under at the present and I can assure you they are working as hard as they can to ensure things happen as fast as they can.

D

Deleted member 1740

Agree but it's a difficult balance that that the simple service have to make.

It is a difficult balance but it’s one that NEEDS to be done and sharpish. 3 months money will go above and beyond and will leave extra money for people to spend once we come out of this to put back into the economy. If SE are only allowed to claim the £94.25 that will leave a massive hole in their finances and leave little, if any, extra in the pocket to put back into the economy.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is a difficult balance but it’s one that NEEDS to be done and sharpish. 3 months money will go above and beyond and will leave extra money for people to spend once we come out of this to put back into the economy. If SE are only allowed to claim the £94.25 that will leave a massive hole in their finances and leave little, if any, extra in the pocket to put back into the economy.

Unfortunately as is normal the few are cocking it up for the many. An article yesterday where a single woman saying that she requires an income that matches her current earnings. She finds it difficult to survive on, after her mortgage is taken out £900 a month. She needs to join me on some of the cases I deal with.

Cake

Club Champion
Visit site
Unfortunately as is normal the few are cocking it up for the many. An article yesterday where a single woman saying that she requires an income that matches her current earnings. She finds it difficult to survive on, after her mortgage is taken out £900 a month. She needs to join me on some of the cases I deal with.

Agreed - If that is the same article I saw then she phrased it as “without the mortgage my essential bills total £948 a month... how is £94.25 going to pay anyone’s bills?” My first thought was that I’d love to know what the lady deemed ‘essential’, and whether many would agree that they were essential. I guess Childcare and Council Tax could be significant, but what else Could push it to £900+ per month! And that there are definitely MANY people getting by on a lot less than that.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

You've made some valid points in your posts but I would expect no-one on here can tell you, even if they did work for HMT or HMRC as Government policy is changing rapidly given the circumstances we're in.

Have you thought about actually e-mailing Treasury and HMRC? Their contact details can be found on GOV.UK.

Failing that, you could read the latest Government advice and guidance on there too.
Ask the people delivering the service?

That's just plain crazy-talk

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I know exactly the strain that the DWP and HMRC are under at the present and I can assure you they are working as hard as they can to ensure things happen as fast as they can.
I am not suggesting for a second otherwise. But that's not the point. We want workers not travelling to work NOW. Many thousands continue to travel because they have no guaranteed income to buy food next month.

All the government needs to say TODAY is something along the lines of the government will guarantee a payment of £500 / month (or whatever) to all zero-hrs workers and self-employed at the end of this month or start of next. They might say they will look at a scheme that might pay more on a previous-earnings related basis for subsequent months - but the £500/month is guaranteed for all. Note that a 16hr week on the minimum wage pays £140/week - so £560 / month.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Agreed - If that is the same article I saw then she phrased it as “without the mortgage my essential bills total £948 a month... how is £94.25 going to pay anyone’s bills?” My first thought was that I’d love to know what the lady deemed ‘essential’, and whether many would agree that they were essential. I guess Childcare and Council Tax could be significant, but what else Could push it to £900+ per month! And that there are definitely MANY people getting by on a lot less than that.

The question in that respect becomes - what are her essential bills/payments that are not being waived or put on hold for the duration of the crisis. My son has had payment of his council tax arrears and payments for the coming year put on hold for 3months (as of yesterday). There was nothing specific to him about that decision made by Sheffield City Council.

Wolf

Visit site
I assumed she meant that's all her bills excluding mortgage, so car finance, mobile, other loans it can soon add up for some people. According to step change.org priority of bills should be as follows in order :

Mortgage or secured loan
Rent
Council tax
Child maintenance
Magistrates fines
Tax, VAT, NI
CCJ
TV licence
Utility bills
HP finance
Telephone

So if she has all of those which is very possible. So her outgoing would be high but she could contact them in this situation and ask for a payment holiday, whether granted it or not is down to those who she owes.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
The question in that respect becomes - what are her essential bills/payments that are not being waived or put on hold for the duration of the crisis. My son has had payment of his council tax arrears and payments for the coming year put on hold for 3months (as of yesterday). There was nothing specific to him about that decision made by Sheffield City Council.

You like to state and shout it’s not about your son, but you constantly bring him into it, so, before this outbreak he was also in arrears with his council tax, so he doesn’t manage himself and money very well, does he? But hey, let’s throw some tax payers money at him, to squander away! You also stated his partner is at home all day every day, why?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I assumed she meant that's all her bills excluding mortgage, so car finance, mobile, other loans it can soon add up for some people. According to step change.org priority of bills should be as follows in order :

Mortgage or secured loan
Rent
Council tax
Child maintenance
Magistrates fines
Tax, VAT, NI
CCJ
TV licence
Utility bills
HP finance
Telephone

So if she has all of those which is very possible. So her outgoing would be high but she could contact them in this situation and ask for a payment holiday, whether granted it or not is down to those who she owes.

I think there's someone's son should really consider contacting StepChange, they are a very good organisation.

D

Deleted member 1740

Yes, living in poverty, robbing Peter to pay Paul, often going without hot meals and or heating.

My opinion is if you’ve paid into the pot, in your hour of NEED you should be supported. Isn’t that what the welfare state was about?

D

Deleted member 1740

Isolation Day 2..
I'm feeling quite chipper
Apart from sniffles that I've had for months I'm feeling fine
Herself is still coughing but it seems to be less - got a feeling it's just a cold but....
The Boy?...eating pizza:rolleyes:
All's quiet of the western front

Great news old boy??