Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I'm just using £1000 per month as an example. OK then. The government gives every zero hours contract worker and everyone self-employed £500 / month. Straight off. No issues - no checking or means testing. And if we are that concerned about the cost to the country then it counts as income for 2020/21 SA tax return. But I know that my lad puts about £40 / week into the meter for gas and leccy. So make it £625 /month assuming £125/month gas and leccy - and £125/week food. And whatever it is, it counts as income for 20/21 tax return

So no means test, thus your saying your lad needs £125 p/week for food!

I think you live in a different world to most of us.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
The situation on the Tubes is critical. Boris should order that all tube drivers
must be tested, including those who are presently self isolating.
If they are "clear" they must return to work ( they are safe as they drive in a cab , alone, do they not).
Restore all tube services, and take the decision making from Khan.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm just using £1000 per month as an example. OK then. The government gives every zero hours contract worker and everyone self-employed £500 / month. Straight off. No issues - no checking or means testing. And if we are that concerned about the cost to the country then it counts as income for 2020/21 SA tax return. But I know that my lad puts about £40 / week into the meter for gas and leccy. So make it £625 /month assuming £125/month gas and leccy - and £125/week food. And whatever it is, it counts as income for 20/21 tax return
£40 a week for gas and electricity? I pay around £70 a month, what is he doing with it?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
My brother who’s in IT and lives in Dubai, was heading back there after working in Dakar, not allowed in and was re direct to Edinburgh where he booked into a B&B, can fly back in two weeks. God knows what he is doing with himself there with nothing open or how he is doing food wis

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
The missus and I went for our "big shop" today. Having two "at risk" people in the house we really didn't want to go but had to as we can't get home delivery.
We went to our local Waitrose. They were only letting 30 shoppers in at a time. There was a small queue outside but we only had to wait a few minutes before we got in. They had already cleaned all the trolleys and asking people to keep their distances (although some, once inside, still didn't get it and we had to tell a couple to move away as they were too busy trying to get items rather than wait). The shelves were reasonably well stocked and we managed to get most things we needed but they had no peas, very little cleaning spray, no paper tissues. We didn't go mad, just got what we needed and enough frozen stuff that will keep for a while but made sure we didn't go mad.
It was very stressful as my missus was getting herself hyped over concerns about cross contamination, and is just about cooling down now. But at least it means that we don't have to go out again for some time.
AND I FORGOT TO GET SOME BEER! :eek::eek::eek:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
£40 a week for gas and electricity? I pay around £70 a month, what is he doing with it?
We pay £1300 a year - we are in Surrey - he is in Sheffield. He is on a meter. His partner is at home all day every day. He is looking to come off it. But at his current pre-payment rate this is what it costs him. Have you not read how much more expensive pre-pay rates are?

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The missus and I went for our "big shop" today. Having two "at risk" people in the house we really didn't want to go but had to as we can't get home delivery.
We went to our local Waitrose. They were only letting 30 shoppers in at a time. There was a small queue outside but we only had to wait a few minutes before we got in. They had already cleaned all the trolleys and asking people to keep their distances (although some, once inside, still didn't get it and we had to tell a couple to move away as they were too busy trying to get items rather than wait). The shelves were reasonably well stocked and we managed to get most things we needed but they had no peas, very little cleaning spray, no paper tissues. We didn't go mad, just got what we needed and enough frozen stuff that will keep for a while but made sure we didn't go mad.
It was very stressful as my missus was getting herself hyped over concerns about cross contamination, and is just about cooling down now. But at least it means that we don't have to go out again for some time.
AND I FORGOT TO GET SOME BEER! :eek::eek::eek:

Just out of interest, why did you both go?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So no means test, thus your saying your lad needs £125 p/week for food!

I think you live in a different world to most of us.

Jeezus!! I WAS NOT SAYING THAT THAT IS HOW MUCH IT SHOULD BE. My son lives on average less than £10/day for food and drink and all shopping if you must know.

OK let's say £75/week for a family of four - is that OK? Plus say £125/month electricity. That's £425 /month. Is that little enough? Just pay that to zero hours contract workers and self-employed.

How much do you want to screw these individuals and families down...? Just pay it out and account for it as 20/21 income in any SA Tax return.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
just been to sainsburys. had to queue for 10 mins to get in - one out, one in - but once in, nice and quiet. only stuff missing was loo roll and tea bags.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Jeezus!! I WAS NOT SAYING THAT THAT IS HOW MUCH IT SHOULD BE. My son lives on less than £10/day for food if you must know.

OK let's say £75/week for a family of four - is that OK? Plus say £125/month electricity. That's £425 /month. Is that little enough? Just pay that to zero hours contract workers and self-employed.

How much do you want to screw these individuals and families down...?

??

It’s no wonder he hasn’t done his accounts, not there can be that much info to calculate, and especially if he takes after you, he's probably on some other social media forum writing pie in sky rubbish like you all day ??

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
all hail king Billy .:eek::p
My gran went into a care home a number of years ago, she had dementia. She was in Liverpool, born and lived there all of her life. One time I was in visiting and we were sat with her in the main lounge area. Out of nowhere she lifted her glass and shouted that same phrase. 15 or so other dementia hit patients suddenly bolted upright and shouted it out as well. I had no idea what it meant, my dad shook his head as I was about to ask. In the car on the way home he explained it to me, he was mortified. I had never heard her say that phrase before, that is dementia for you. (the Liverpool lads will certainly get this story)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
??

It’s no wonder he hasn’t done his accounts, not there can be that much info to calculate, and especially if he takes after you, he's probably on some other social media forum writing pie in sky rubbish like you all day ??
FFS What on earth are you complaining about? what is Pie-in-the-Sky about it?

I'm simply suggesting that the government could pay out a basic amount now to ALL zero hours works and self-employed to enable them to feed themselves and pay for power and gas. I am not suggesting ANYTHING else - and this has nothing to do with what my son might need.

Just a simple quick non-means tested payment that could be done almost immediately - and if the government needed the money back it could be included as income in a SA tax return any recipients do for 20/21.

Rather than just scoff and dismiss how about telling me what the problem with that is - which is after all what I asked at the outset.

Individuals and families just need a bit of income to keep themselves going for the next few months. Not a lot - just enough.