Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Heard this morning from a close friend…double vaxed…feeling really grim, PCR test comes back positive. I know the vax isn’t virus-proofing but it’s still a bit worrying when someone close and double-vaxed contracts it and becomes really quite poorly.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Heard this morning from a close friend…double vaxed…feeling really grim, PCR test comes back positive. I know the vax isn’t virus-proofing but it’s still a bit worrying when someone close and double-vaxed contracts it and becomes really quite poorly.
But still alive. Chances are that without the double vax, they wouldnt be.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

The very reason I'm still being very cautious. I was lucky when I caught it last time and, either way, who wants to feel rough for a week or so...

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Depends what you mean by contagious.
People are highly immitative if you move to a society where many others are obese or addicted, you will be far more likely to become obese or addicted.

There's clutching at straws and then some. Are you actually suggesting an alcoholic potentially turns everyone they come into close contact with into an alcoholic also?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Is your friend at home? If so, they are a long way short of grim. Grim is when the ICU doctor is measuring you up for a endo-tracheal (breathing) tube for the ventilator.

It would be interesting to know (maintaining their anonymity) when your friend had the vaccines, which brand and whether they have any additional risk factors (age, other conditions). It could be that they have dodged a bullet and got a nasty hangover instead of a spell in ICU, or were just unlucky and the vax didn't stimulate a decent immune response.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was talking to a mate yesterday, his sister in law has lost the sight in one eye after having the booster jab, they reckon the sight has gone for good ?
Still gonna book mine at the first opportunity ?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
The very reason I'm still being very cautious. I was lucky when I caught it last time and, either way, who wants to feel rough for a week or so...

Exactly. But still behaving as if this thing is still about gets funny looks more and more now. Looking upon you as being paranoid when you decline this unnecessary invite etc.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Exactly. But still behaving as if this thing is still about gets funny looks more and more now. Looking upon you as being paranoid when you decline this unnecessary invite etc.

I think a balance needs to be found by each individual, and a lot are clearly struggling.

A friend of my wife’s is a classic case in point. Just turned 50, fit and well, married to a fella of the same age who is as fit as a flea. Both double jabbed.

She has not allowed a single person in her house since March 2020. She refuses to allow anyone in, including those double jabbed, showing no symptoms. If my wife goes for coffee she has to sit in the back garden whilst her friend sits in the conservatory, and they talk through the open door.

She hasn’t set foot in a shop, cafe, pub or restaurant for eighteen months. She has given up her job as she couldn’t work from home, despite measures being in place in her workplace.

This will doubtless sound cruel, but I actually think this behaviour is perhaps disproportionate to the risk this lady faces. Bizarrely, she seems quite content with her husband leading a virtually normal life, and as such he carries a risk of not only contracting Covid but also bringing it back to her.

Am I alone in thinking this is paranoia gone a little bit too far?

D

Deleted member 21258

There's clutching at straws and then some. Are you actually suggesting an alcoholic potentially turns everyone they come into close contact with into an alcoholic also?

YES!!! Are you actually saying it doesnt ? :eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The harsh truth is that obesity does(and just looking at alcohol appears it does, see last link) , you may wish to read :-

Family lifestyle dynamics and childhood obesity: evidence from the millennium cohort study (nih.gov)
Obesity runs in families – and friends, too – Harvard Gazette
Does Alcoholism Run in Families? Why Alcoholism is a Family Disease (therecoveryvillage.com)

And lets cut though the politically correct stuff, being fat or obese is BAD for COVID, heart disease, diabetes, cancer and many other preventable diseases . Also due to diets, it means your immune system does not work as it should do and your vaccine reaction on average will be worse than an average weight person.

Weight and fitness is the things you can improve and reduce your call on the NHS and probably prolong your life and quality of life. Be normal weight everyone.

However I put forward a motion that if you are overweight or over the age of 50 :-

1) You should not get treatment if you need covid treatment
2) You should not be allowed outside your house.
3) You should not be allowed to work.

D

Deleted member 21258

I may be in the minority but this makes me uncomfortable and could be a slippery slope.

Government is allowed to get away with this citing Covid but what’s to stop them coming back in a few years and saying they won’t treat drug or alcohol addicts or overweight people etc etc. You might claim that it’d never happen however they’ve already set a precedent here.

One thing I am learning over this pandemic, is that some of 'last years' conspiracy theories are this years realities. So who knows :shrugs shoulders:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I think you've answered your own question. She obviously is happy and that's all that matters to her.

My ultimate point was that some are struggling to find a proportionate balance. This lady has a family. A husband leading a normal life, but two university age kids who haven’t been allowed back in their own home since September last year because their mum has heard all about how Covid is spread in educational environments, and she is terrified that they will infect her.

With the exception of walks, her and her husband haven’t been anywhere together for eighteen months. Nowhere. And I need to be very clear that this lady has no underlying health conditions.

So yes, I have answered my own question in part, but as I say, my point was that some are clearly struggling to strike a balance which is proportionate to the personal risk, this lady massively so in my opinion.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My ultimate point was that some are struggling to find a proportionate balance. This lady has a family. A husband leading a normal life, but two university age kids who haven’t been allowed back in their own home since September last year because their mum has heard all about how Covid is spread in educational environments, and she is terrified that they will infect her.

With the exception of walks, her and her husband haven’t been anywhere together for eighteen months. Nowhere. And I need to be very clear that this lady has no underlying health conditions.

So yes, I have answered my own question in part, but as I say, my point was that some are clearly struggling to strike a balance which is proportionate to the personal risk, this lady massively so in my opinion.
It sounds as though this lady needs to speak to someone. She has taken matters to an extreme, that is no life.

D

Deleted member 21258

I've been out of isolation for a week now.

I'm double jabbed, felt like a bad head old, lose of smell (still) and a achy neck. Still suffering from a slight lack of energy but all in all feeling quite good.

Not too sure what it would have been like without a vaccine tbh.

Good to hear your okay Simon. Take care.