Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
You are correct, as was the doctor's receptionist. PCR for symptoms.
Do you think my chesty phlegmy cough could be a Covid symptom ?. I've had this for nearly a year with temp of 36.5, no sore throat, no other symptoms.
12 months ago the doctor prescribed Mometasone furoate nasal spray, by phone appointment
She refused to prescribe antibiotics.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you think my chesty phlegmy cough could be a Covid symptom ?. I've had this for nearly a year with temp of 36.5, no sore throat, no other symptoms.
12 months ago the doctor prescribed Mometasone furoate nasal spray, by phone appointment
She refused to prescribe antibiotics.

Most chest infections/upper respiratory tract infections are viral, so antibiotics won’t do anything. If you had purulent sputum, more likely to be bacterial.

You should get a PCR. Symptoms are less clear than first thought, although this is the time of year when lots of other lurgy is flying around, so the test could well still be negative.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most chest infections/upper respiratory tract infections are viral, so antibiotics won’t do anything. If you had purulent sputum, more likely to be bacterial.

You should get a PCR. Symptoms are less clear than first thought, although this is the time of year when lots of other lurgy is flying around, so the test could well still be negative.
Green phlegm/ sputum, sounds bacterial to me, but doctors are now reluctant to prescribe antibiotics.
And trying to get a face to face appointment , :cry::cry:.
Update-I've just booked a drive through PCR test for 3 pm Thursday, fingers crossed

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Green phlegm/ sputum, sounds bacterial to me, but doctors are now reluctant to prescribe antibiotics.
And trying to get a face to face appointment , :cry::cry:.
Update-I've just booked a drive through PCR test for 3 pm Thursday, fingers crossed

I used to work on a chest ward, and green sputum is ubiquitous among chest infections. There is a lost art of inspecting sputum jars and judging the nature of the infection. Back in those days we offered antibiotics a bit too enthusiastically and gradually people stopped responding to them, and MRSA and similar appeared, so policy shifted to restricting liberal use of antibiotics.

If someone has symptoms as described, they need a PCR. If they have features of a probable bacterial infection, purulent sputum, fever, pleuritic pain (symptom of pneumonia) then a carefully chosen antibiotic might be fine.

D

Deleted member 16999

So, something and nothing, received the Pfizer jab for my first 2 jabs and no issues whatsoever, had my booster yesterday, again Pfizer, and arm is sore, feels heavy to lift, amost like a bad “dead arm” you got as a kid when punched by a mate.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Golf Club Carol Concert cancelled as there are concerns about lots of members and their family and friends singing their hearts out in a confined space.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So, something and nothing, received the Pfizer jab for my first 2 jabs and no issues whatsoever, had my booster yesterday, again Pfizer, and arm is sore, feels heavy to lift, amost like a bad “dead arm” you got as a kid when punched by a mate.

Same here. I had Moderna jab 10 days ago, no pain but a bit of swelling. Bruise developed on second day, its now yellow/blue and size of an orange.

Operator error I reckon!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to work on a chest ward, and green sputum is ubiquitous among chest infections. There is a lost art of inspecting sputum jars and judging the nature of the infection. Back in those days we offered antibiotics a bit too enthusiastically and gradually people stopped responding to them, and MRSA and similar appeared, so policy shifted to restricting liberal use of antibiotics.

If someone has symptoms as described, they need a PCR. If they have features of a probable bacterial infection, purulent sputum, fever, pleuritic pain (symptom of pneumonia) then a carefully chosen antibiotic might be fine.
Much appreciated Ethan, thank you.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Same here. I had Moderna jab 10 days ago, no pain but a bit of swelling. Bruise developed on second day, its now yellow/blue and size of an orange.

Operator error I reckon!

Hit a small (or not so small) blood vessel. It happens, usually no great harm caused. Operator error, or perhaps operator misfortune.

Last edited:

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Recevied my first piece of COVID related abuse today. Got called a p***y for opening the chiller cabinet in the local Tescos with my elbow. I suspect that me wearing a mask also attracted the attention of this charmless nerk.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
An interesting thread re vaccination rates and the effect on cases across Europe.

I'm sure BBC 5 Live said that cases were 10K (approx) higher today than last Thursday and deaths were around 50 higher. Only caught the end of it as I got into the car so might have misheard. But if not let's hope that it is an anomaly and not a trend.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm sure BBC 5 Live said that cases were 10K (approx) higher today than last Thursday and deaths were around 50 higher. Only caught the end of it as I got into the car so might have misheard. But if not let's hope that it is an anomaly and not a trend.
Not looking great for older people in my area.

Screenshot_2021-11-11-18-20-38-45_cbf47468f7ecfbd8ebcc46bf9cc626da.jpg

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not affecting me but it's interesting to see what is happening in Austria right now. Infections are going up in the unvaccinated so the govt are looking at expanding their vaccine passport scheme and effectively creating a lockdown for the unvaccinated whilst allowing the vaccinated to carry on with a relatively normal life. A comment along the lines of a third of the country should not be able to restrict the freedoms of the majority by their actions, only they should suffer the consequences.

I don't think it is going to cover all of the country but it will affect a good chunk. Bold and controversial.