Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for 'confirming' my point - which seems to have been interpreted rather more 'negatively' by some than I had intended!

I'm a little surprised how low the efficacy of Flu vaccines are. Adds to my thoughts that, at least presently in otherwise good health (though somewhat imobilised by a 'brand new' hip - #2), that I shouldn't bother with it. A couple of days of feeling low is no biggie for the antibodies generated 'naturally'.

Flu is a good example of where the benefit-risk varies across the population such that it is wise for some but probably unnecessary for others. Covid will end up in the same place too, and some countries have already identified such a split in their booster strategies. The UK is pressing on with a general population booster, albeit staged, but I think that is part;y due to the higher use of AZ here.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Flu is a good example of where the benefit-risk varies across the population such that it is wise for some but probably unnecessary for others. Covid will end up in the same place too, and some countries have already identified such a split in their booster strategies. The UK is pressing on with a general population booster, albeit staged, but I think that is part;y due to the higher use of AZ here.
I'll certainly be taking up my 'offer' of the booster that I 'deferred' immediately prior to my hip op - as soon as I can get mobile enough to get to a site! Just as well that I did defer it...I walked into the ward to observe a discussion between patient and meds who convinced the patient to defer his op (maybe a knee replacement) because of the possible (potentially fatal) clash of the booster with anasthetic! He defered/agreed to defer his op for 2-3 months!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll certainly be taking up my 'offer' of the booster that I 'deferred' immediately prior to my hip op - as soon as I can get mobile enough to get to a site! Just as well that I did defer it...I walked into the ward to observe a discussion between patient and meds who convinced the patient to defer his op (maybe a knee replacement) because of the possible (potentially fatal) clash of the booster with anasthetic! He defered/agreed to defer his op for 2-3 months!

? Potentially fatal clash of his booster and an anaesthetic? That sounds like a load of Pro V1s.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
? Potentially fatal clash of his booster and an anaesthetic? That sounds like a load of Pro V1s.
Yeah, I was never entirely convinced! Just relating the event! Hip/knee replacement seem to be something of a 'treadmill' op, so maybe Docs were simply trying to keep things simple/minimize risk!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah, I was never entirely convinced! Just relating the event! Hip/knee replacement seem to be something of a 'treadmill' op, so maybe Docs were simply trying to keep things simple/minimize risk!

Anaesthetics have a short duration of effect. Total knee replacements are usually done under regional rather than general. They can be tricky because the knee is not an anatomically well designed joint, so revision work is sometimes needed. Hips are much more straightforward, much better designed joint.

Covid vax does not interfere with anaesthetic effectiveness and anaesthetics do not interfere with Covid vax effectiveness. I suspect they might have been trying to manage waiting lists using spurious arguments. Waiting lists for TKRs are currently hideous due to the cancellation of elective surgery.

D

Deleted member 21258

Heres comes the boosters :D:D:D (green line, we need those as close to 100 as possible, for in the main the oldest ages, as immune system just doesn't work as effectively as the younger groups pre or post infection)

Made me happy to see, the turn around starting in those groups. Hopefully help with protecting them.

Some more details here :-

John Roberts on Twitter: "The latest antibody survey from ONS is now showing increases at the older ages, consistent with the booster programme starting to take effect. ??? Data is to 24th October, so a little more lagged than the weekly infection survey. 1/ https://t.co/R1PkLKIpsd" / Twitter

p.jpg

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There is no evidence of any risk of vaccination and anaesthesia, there may be a minor concern that things like fever which can develop immediately following vaccination may e confused with infection thus postponing surgery for joint replacement, so advice may be not to have the vaccination immediately before planned surgery.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Note how often the word 'reduces' appears in Ethan's post(s). And how 'eliminates' does not! It's still up to individuals to continue to protect themselves and others by continuing 'good practice'!
While I certainly agree that vaccination is highly desirable - and have already posted that I can't understand why NHS folk would be reluctant to do so - I'm merely pointing out that being vaccinated does not, of itself, eliminate the problem - and can breed complacency! I have personal experience of the danger of that complacency, though fortunately was not adversely affected, as I continued to 'keep my distance' from a vaxed fellow worker who was the likely spredder of the virus to a dozen or so others!
Your post that I quoted implies that the vacc does nothing to stop transmission. We know this to be false. I agree we still need to be careful as a vaccinated person can still transmit the virus but the fact is its a lot lower chance than from someone who is unvaccinated.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are the Covid-19 lateral-flow rapid antigen home test kits reliable ?

If you get a positive from a LFT then there is a high likelihood (99% ish I think) that you do have Covid. If you get a negative result then that doesn't mean that you definitely don't have it. A false negative is a lot more likely than a false positive.

EDIT - and a lot of it comes down to the user. If the swab is not done correctly, or for long enough, or the swab isn't left in the liquid for long enough can all lead to false negatives.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
"Over 65's could be banned from public spaces if they do not have their booster".

Quite right, these selfish older people not doing enough to protect the younger generations!! :whistle::LOL:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Your post that I quoted implies that the vacc does nothing to stop transmission. We know this to be false. I agree we still need to be careful as a vaccinated person can still transmit the virus but the fact is its a lot lower chance than from someone who is unvaccinated.
That's certainly NOT what I meant, nor, imo, what I wrote! You've misinterpreted it. Try re-reading it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are the Covid-19 lateral-flow rapid antigen home test kits reliable ?

They made me really did not know my anatomy and exactly where my tonsils are. Newer kits are nose swabs only which is a slight problem for me as sticking a swab up one nostril can cause it to bleed and I am sure the swab goes further inside one nostril than the other. So here is to hoping a good swab round one nostril gives a decent enough result.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Well, if you are unconscious, you can't explain much.

I would be shocked if any ED in the UK would withhold or delay appropriate emergency treatment for anyone just because they don't have an NHS number.

I have an NHS number which became muddled with someone else’s record along side mine.
Whoever’s record it is has serious liver issues and has been in out of the doctors for most his life. Keep getting letters from some professsor from Barts Trust regarding appointments missed.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
They made me really did not know my anatomy and exactly where my tonsils are. Newer kits are nose swabs only which is a slight problem for me as sticking a swab up one nostril can cause it to bleed and I am sure the swab goes further inside one nostril than the other. So here is to hoping a good swab round one nostril gives a decent enough result.
I had no problems doing the tests, I did 4 in ten days all negative. But I've had a chesty cough with some green phlegm yuk.
I told the doctor's receptionist my symptoms and testing history when I ask for an appointment.
She said home test aren't reliable and I should go for a test centre test.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had no problems doing the tests, I did 4 in ten days all negative. But I've had a chesty cough with some green phlegm yuk.
I told the doctor's receptionist my symptoms and testing history when I ask for an appointment.
She said home test aren't reliable and I should go for a test centre test.

Not 100% sure on this but I think that home LFT's are more accurate for those without symptoms. If you have symptoms then the PCR test is what you need to take.