Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think the small reduction in infections recently was due to the half term school holiday. We will see how the trend goes over the next few weeks.

If you look at the start of the numbers dropping they're from the 20th October (give or take) and they've been consistent since, that should mean that school holidays are not the driving factor behind this with any luck.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There has been some absolutely brain freeze moments during this pandemic. Always made me wonder when everyone was picking on people meeting outside as it could be seen, instead people will just take meeting inside, out of sight. DOH. Nice scotch egg with your drink and so on

By so called public health people, take this one recently :-

Rochelle Walensky, MD, MPH on Twitter: "Masks can help reduce your chance of #COVID19 infection by more than 80%. Masks also help protect from other illnesses like common cold and flu. Wearing a mask- along w/ getting vaccinated- are important steps to stay healthy. #WeCanDoThis @HHSgov https://t.co/bfOV5VzBpq https://t.co/6DGj8nwPgD" / Twitter

She is effectively saying they are more effective than some Vaccines at stopping infections......talk about giving out the wrong messages about masks > vaccines. DOH! Also If masks stopped 80% of the spread in the public, we would see it in real life, plain as site on graphs, in fact it would be so obvious that it would slap you in the face.:LOL: But of course the masks that we wear are pants and often not worn in risky situations.

Also the recent ONS tweet, makes you wonder whats it all about :-

Office for National Statistics (ONS) on Twitter: "The age-adjusted risk of deaths involving #COVID19 was 32 times greater in unvaccinated people than in fully vaccinated individuals between 2 Jan and 24 Sept 2021 https://t.co/P6ZSC2OrxI https://t.co/AMmkw6RpHZ" / Twitter

Do people actually believe the above tweets and surely they only help to destroy belief in what the 'officials/scientists' say generally. I know it makes me question what the officials say more and more.
Sensible precautions like mask wearing, social distance, washing hands and being aware of your environment are to be encouraged. I find the anti-Covid-precaution brigade rather desperate to spread their misinformation.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you look at the start of the numbers dropping they're from the 20th October (give or take) and they've been consistent since, that should mean that school holidays are not the driving factor behind this with any luck.
Looking at the national BBC Covid rate map the regional drops have only registered in the last week. The vast majority of infection rates are in young people so when they are not together inside buildings it's bound to have an effect on transmissions.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Looking at the national BBC Covid rate map the regional drops have only registered in the last week. The vast majority of infection rates are in young people so when they are not together inside buildings it's bound to have an effect on transmissions.

I was just looking at the English data and the daily cases have been dropping since the 18th October which is before most schools broke up for half term so whilst half term may well have sped up the reduction in infections the direction of travel was downwards before that happened. Hopefully that's a good thing as if it were solely based on half term then infections should dip and then start to rise again.

D

Deleted member 21258

See the ONS survey :-

Office for National Statistics (ONS) on Twitter: "Our latest #COVID19 data shows uncertain trends in infection levels across England, Wales and Scotland in the week ending 30 October 2021. In Northern Ireland, infection levels have continued to increase https://t.co/l3JchGOiDq https://t.co/qKyYJqLjq3" / Twitter
fr.jpg
Based on testing :-

4.png

Infections happen 2-5 days prior to the above. Infections have been dropping massively in that age group, before half term and probably due to the hit rate is now approaching herd immunity edit and the way infections flow(ie. up/down)

Sure registered infections may kick up in that age range as schools return, due to increased testing but that doesnt change anything above.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think conversations in the media seem to ignore two factors: the physics of transmission v the reaction to viral infection.

In the first instance the probability and viral load are driven by prevelence, proximity and time of exposure: variables directly unaffected by vaccination.

The vaccination only influences the severity of any resultant illness. It may influence the duration and perhaps the rate a person may 'transmit' the virus to others.

So my analogy is if driving what's the chances of being in a crash and then how severe are your injuries, if any?

The analogy is a fair one, if you wear a seat belt you have much a much lower, but non-zero chance of smacking your head into the windscreen compared to someone not wearing one.

The vaccination affects more than severity, though. It certainly affects the chance of catching and likelihood of transmission, in two ways. First, if you don't get an infection, you can't transmit, second if you do get an infection, the viral load is going to be a lot lower and less likely to transmit.

The probability of infection, based on prevalence, is affected by community levels of vaccination.

Transmission can be a runaway phenomenon, with several factors feeding on one another and then growing very fast and getting out of control. Vaccination levels help mitigate, but not entirely prevent, that.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Last couple of weeks in my village have very much been good news/bad news weeks. The bad news is that, for the first time really, my village has seen a significant number of cases Assumption is that is came via the schools as all the kids in the village go to school on one bus. Anyway, number of friends had kids test positive and then a numfew others have since tested positive. The good news, irrespective of age group, they have all been asymptomatic or had a very minor reaction. Guessing the vaccine works.

D

Deleted member 21258

Last couple of weeks in my village have very much been good news/bad news weeks. The bad news is that, for the first time really, my village has seen a significant number of cases Assumption is that is came via the schools as all the kids in the village go to school on one bus. Anyway, number of friends had kids test positive and then a numfew others have since tested positive. The good news, irrespective of age group, they have all been asymptomatic or had a very minor reaction. Guessing the vaccine works.

This is similar to the things I have been told . In this 'wave' the worst I have personally heard is that someone was in bed feeling very unwell for a week(older person) and took another week to start doing stuff, still not got taste at the last time I spoke to the person.

In pre vaccine era unlike previous waves, heard of the whole range from nothing to hospitalisations to death:cry:

It has meant that after the booster, the wife/me are going to change to a slightly more normal life. We have not been meeting almost anyone inside to allowing direct family back in. Yes I am cautious.:ROFLMAO: Been kind of waiting for boosters and hopefully the treatments to come online, which they appear to be very shortly and hopefully boosters will see us to when they are.

Some what interesting is that we have allowed people inside our house about 8 times since March 2020, but each time with windows wide open, social distancing and a hepa filter/uv light system on (yeah I know I know, but I did say I am cautious. No masks tho!:devilish:) but just as unreal as that is that we have caught one cold and a stomach bug :shugs shoulders: , draw your own conclusions from that, if we were in a study as n=1, then flipping heck whats the point, you may as well just crack on with old 2019 normal life. o_O Yeah we have been unlucky, as never had that issue before.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The analogy is a fair one, if you wear a seat belt you have much a much lower, but non-zero chance of smacking your head into the windscreen compared to someone not wearing one.

The vaccination affects more than severity, though. It certainly affects the chance of catching and likelihood of transmission, in two ways. First, if you don't get an infection, you can't transmit, second if you do get an infection, the viral load is going to be a lot lower and less likely to transmit.

The probability of infection, based on prevalence, is affected by community levels of vaccination.

Transmission can be a runaway phenomenon, with several factors feeding on one another and then growing very fast and getting out of control. Vaccination levels help mitigate, but not entirely prevent, that.
From this and the earlier answers to my questions is it the case that the statement…

The vaccination only influences the severity of any resultant illness.

…is not actually correct. BTW I’m not criticising drdel for the statement - just trying to fully understand things and on that front I myself have been struggling of late.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interestingly, one person who has it in my village says he has the same symptoms and feels exactly the same as he did when ill in late December 2 years ago (lack of energy being the main thing, he runs marathons so notices that specifically). Only very minor evidence to support the theory that it was around long before we knew about it over here and that he may have been unlucky enough to get a double dose).

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
From this and the earlier answers to my questions is it the case that the statement…

The vaccination only influences the severity of any resultant illness.

…is not actually correct. BTW I’m not criticising drdel for the statement - just trying to fully understand things and on that front I myself have been struggling of late.

It is not actually correct. It does not only influence severity.

Vaccination does the following:

Reduces likelihood of infection
Reduces likelihood of an infection that occurs despite above resulting in hospitalisation or death
Reduces transmission, due to reduced chance of being infected but also reduced viral load (likely also part of reason for reduced severity)
Reduces prevalence of infection in community

Remember that when vaccines were first put into clinical trials, the hoped for effect was a 60% or better reduction in cases. The actual results were much higher. But at no point was it ever suggested that they would stop all cases, or last forever. I was a massive supporter of primary vaccination, less so for boosters (although I will have mine). But I am a big fan of taking updated vaccines that cover new variants. Pfizer has results on a version updated for delta due out soon.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Interestingly, one person who has it in my village says he has the same symptoms and feels exactly the same as he did when ill in late December 2 years ago (lack of energy being the main thing, he runs marathons so notices that specifically). Only very minor evidence to support the theory that it was around long before we knew about it over here and that he may have been unlucky enough to get a double dose).

Missis T was very poorly a year last February. ( a month before we went to Mexico) Being a nurse she wrote everything down, signs and symptoms. The lot. Why? Coz she is a nurse and she could not put her finger on what she had caught. It wasn’t a cold or flu, she lost a sense of smell and taste. Her symptoms were puzzling. Then slowly slowly signs and symptoms were being released on tv of what COVID suffering people could have. One day loss of smell and taste was mentioned. She was convinced she had contracted COVID. Everyone else in the family was fine. Roll on to Christmas just gone and we all caught COVID. Her symptoms were nigh on the same. I remember reading that Paris I think it was did samples on waste water going back to December 2019 and there were traces of COVID then. I deffo think it has been around longer than we initially thought.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
One dose of the vaccine = good
Two doses of the vaccine = better
Two doses of the vaccine + booster = brilliant.
To be super safe and to protect others, when around strangers, wear a mask, wash your hands regularly and keep your distance.
Merry Christmas

Possibly a bit more nuanced than that.

One dose of AZ - OK
One dose of Pfizer/Moderna - pretty good
Two doses of AZ - pretty good
Two doses of Pfizer/Moderna - very good indeed
Two doses of AZ plus Pfizer/Moderna booster - very good
Two doses of Pfizer/Moderna plus booster (older person or other illnesses) - well worth it
Two doses of Pfizer/Moderna plus booster (younger person) - maybe some benefit
Covid infection (recovered fully) plus two or more doses of any vaccine - very good

I agree with maintaining hygiene factors - worrying drop off in those recently.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

We’re in a very similar position in our village. Lots of kids have had it, all travelling by bus to school, and they seem to have passed it onto their parents, all of whom have been double jabbed. All of those parents have had nothing worse than a very minor illness.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

I think there's been more than enough minor bits of evidence to make a substantive case that this was over here well before it was officially recognised; 3 or 4 months before the pandemic was declared that I'm aware of.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
HID went back to school yesterday (week off post op) and 7 teachers and 23 kids off (one teacher, vaxed in a very serious condition). We have four in, one vaxed. Not sure about the announcement tonight about mandatory jabs, including people like ward clerks (although my team are fully dosed - some waiting on booster) and how we're going to police that and how it'll impact retention, and what will happen about trying to plug the inevitable gaps

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
HID went back to school yesterday (week off post op) and 7 teachers and 23 kids off (one teacher, vaxed in a very serious condition). We have four in, one vaxed. Not sure about the announcement tonight about mandatory jabs, including people like ward clerks (although my team are fully dosed - some waiting on booster) and how we're going to police that and how it'll impact retention, and what will happen about trying to plug the inevitable gaps
Easy to police, the jabs show on your NHS record.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Easy to police, the jabs show on your NHS record.

In theory, but with nearly 6,000 staff all working different shift patterns not sure how easy it'll be for a team to get to see everyone in a timely manner and so bound to get a few slipping through the net or not getting their record checked for a good few months. I'm not arguing about the proposal (which personally I agree with) but can see it being an admin headache and where does the responsibility fall. Lead nurse/matron on each ward, HR, CEO/board?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
HR - Surely there's a HR dept with a personnel file for each front line employee which will/( can be made to) show vaccinated status?
Press a button once a day/week and database will throw up the unvaccinated?
Or something very similar.....