Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Let's hope Pandemic to Endemic is the way we are going and that we are over the worst.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-covid-fade-background-oxford-scientist-says/

Booster jabs will see Covid "fade into the background", an expert has said as the former vaccines minister hoped that the UK will become the major economy to shift from pandemic to endemic.

Professor James Naismith of the Rosalind Franklin Institute and a biologist at Oxford University believes Britain is over the worst of Covid in terms of case numbers and as infections continue to fall, so too will hospitalisations and deaths, which currently stand at more than 1,000 a day and 1,000 a week respectively.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ha ha, just checked when I had my last jab, 5 months this weekend so I should be able to book it soon ?

Yet my dad who is 70, was advised to shield, still cant get a booster.. The Doctors surgery tell him he has to just wait for the system... Bizarre,

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yet my dad who is 70, was advised to shield, still cant get a booster.. The Doctors surgery tell him he has to just wait for the system... Bizarre,
If he’s able, tell him to go on the system, the chance if he’s in the right time line he can book.
I'd echo what Old Skier has said. Don't wait for the doctors, go online and book. The booster sessions in my town are largely being done in pharmacies, not doctors surgeries, so the capacity is elsewhere.

D

Deleted member 16999

Booster Jabs for me, wife and son all booked in for wednesday morning.:)

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Booster booked today - bit of a queue as first day allowing 5 months since last jab to book, but my position of 255 took about a minute!

Better than trying to book my flu jab with our GP surgery who, despite my text from the NHS to book, aren't doing under 65's until sometime in December...

Just go to a chemist for your flu jab. We had ours at the beginning of October. Should have been in September but we both had the cold and cough doing the rounds.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been pretty rough with it after being positive with no symptoms, out of jail Thursday.

Noticed on my NHS app that my covid jab and test status is no longer showing.

My other issue is that I'm off to Austria end of December and the government requires me to test on my return however the NHS advice is testing within 90 days of an infection is not recommended.

That's how it's supposed to work if you currently have Covid. It will reappear.

D

Deleted member 21258

I'd echo what Old Skier has said. Don't wait for the doctors, go online and book. The booster sessions in my town are largely being done in pharmacies, not doctors surgeries, so the capacity is elsewhere.

I'd echo what Lord Tyrion has said. Dont wait for the doctors, go online and book . ;) or do a walk in(information below) :-

Search - Find a walk-in coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccination site (www.nhs.uk)

Wife is due hers earlier than me, due to that she has conditions but our GPs would not let her book up for covid jab with them, until later (GP did allow her to book up her flu jab tho. Bizarre Id echo what Rooter said . :ROFLMAO: (sure there is reasons tho, to be fair to GPs)

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are also Vaccination Buses doing the rounds. Bizarrely, the walk-in vaccination site shows that they are not doing the booster so am unable to book HID in that way. However, from a link on the Vaccination Bus site I can book him onto that walk-in site for a booster.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Let's hope Pandemic to Endemic is the way we are going and that we are over the worst.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-covid-fade-background-oxford-scientist-says/

Booster jabs will see Covid "fade into the background", an expert has said as the former vaccines minister hoped that the UK will become the major economy to shift from pandemic to endemic.

Professor James Naismith of the Rosalind Franklin Institute and a biologist at Oxford University believes Britain is over the worst of Covid in terms of case numbers and as infections continue to fall, so too will hospitalisations and deaths, which currently stand at more than 1,000 a day and 1,000 a week respectively.

We probably are over the worst, but we also want the remainder to get done with as little grief as possible. Naismith is a structural biologist, so this really isn't his area of expertise, but he may be right. The wild cards would be a bad flu or a new variant, the latter of which could put us back to square one.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Booked my booster jag this morning for first week in December. I could have had last week in nov…had second jag 1st June…so 6 months…blimey…was it really 6 months ago.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
1) You can transmit the virus if you have an active infection - symptomatic or not, but also if you are a passive carrier - grabbed a door handle someone coughed on.
2) You do not need to be symptomatic
3) You are less likely to have an active infection if vaccinated, because your immune system should eliminate or reduce the ability of the virus to replicate. You are therefore less likely to transmit if vaccinated and if you transmit,. the amount you transmit is less likely to trigger a clinical infection in the recipient
4) As above, you can pick it up, the vax is not a shield, virus can still jump onto you, but you are less likely to allow it to replicate
5) Yes, and because you are less likely to become infected, there will be less of it that you can transmit
6) Yes, greater levels of vaccination rescues community risk to both vaccinated and unvaccinated people

A lot of these questions swing on two issues - host immunity and viral load. Vaccinated people have better, but not foolproof, host immunity, and this immunity will weaken with time, especially in older or clinically vulnerable people, hence boosters. Virus which gets onto vaccinated people is less likely to replicate (grow) and cause clinical infection or if it causes clinical infection, less likely to cause a serious one. The viral load is the amount of virus in each cough or sneeze, and vaccinated people who become infected have a lower viral load than unvaccinated, so if they cough, they will spread less virus which in turn is less likely to cause an infection, or a serious one, in others, and much less likely to cause a problem in other vaccinated people.
Thanks sir. One further question - and it may be semantics.

I read, and interpret what I read, on the understanding that the virus itself is a coronavirus and that the illness that can develop is covid-19. Is that correct.

Some commentators and pieces I read seems to conflate the two and sometimes it seems use them interchangeably. And for me trying to keep on top of developments I can find things a bit confusing…and hence my questions.

Specifically, much reference is being made of late to a study that conclusively shows that transmission by unvaccinated is no more than by vaccinated…and that fact is used as a rationale behind saying there is nothing to support wider vaccination…that vaccination is an individuals choice on their own assessment of risk to themselves developing covid-19, and hence my questions and leading into my question 6).

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks sir. One further question - and it may be semantics.

I read, and interpret what I read, on the understanding that the virus itself is a coronavirus and that the illness that can develop is covid-19. Is that correct.

Some commentators and pieces I read seems to conflate the two and sometimes it seems use them interchangeably. And for me trying to keep on top of developments I can find things a bit confusing…and hence my questions.

Specifically, much reference is being made of late to a study that conclusively shows that transmission by unvaccinated is no more than by vaccinated…and that fact is used as a rationale behind saying there is nothing to support wider vaccination…that vaccination is an individuals choice on their own assessment of risk to themselves developing covid-19, and hence my questions and leading into my question 6).

You are quite right on the semantics.

The study you mention has been widely misinterpreted, and I have moaned about it several times here.

The study showed that in (important qualifier) people who got Covid, viral load was roughly similar whether they were vaccinated or not. In fact, the viral load was lower, but the bigger issue was that people who were vaccinated were a lot less likely to get Covid in the first place. This critical element was missed by many. The paper was picked up by anti-vaxxers to argue that vaccination did not reduce transmission when it said nothing of the sort.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site

We have tried, it says you need to wait your turn basically.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I read, and interpret what I read

''People who are fully vaccinated against covid-19 are far less likely to infect others, despite the arrival of the delta variant, several studies show. The findings refute the idea, which has become common in some circles, that vaccines no longer do much to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

“They absolutely do reduce transmission,” says Christopher Byron Brooke at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. “Vaccinated people do transmit the virus in some cases, but the data are super crystal-clear that the risk of transmission for a vaccinated individual is much, much lower than for an unvaccinated individual.”

23/10/21
Interpret that how you will

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/articl...d-covid-19-if-youre-vaccinated/#ixzz7BdympMT4