Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

D-S

Visit site
Just managed to book my booster for 18th November, I was second jabbed on 20th November. Good to see the system working so that you can now book prior to the date of your 6 month anniversary.
Same as last time with a long list of pharmacies, universities, even a racecourse offered as sites. Nearest was in Wales (Chepstow) but went with an English option despite the fact that it’s free to cross the nearest border now. Lots of availability and easy to use.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just managed to book my booster for 18th November, I was second jabbed on 20th November. Good to see the system working so that you can now book prior to the date of your 6 month anniversary.
Same as last time with a long list of pharmacies, universities, even a racecourse offered as sites. Nearest was in Wales (Chepstow) but went with an English option despite the fact that it’s free to cross the nearest border now. Lots of availability and easy to use.
You are getting your booster on the 18th November and you were second jabbed on 20th November. Was the second in May?

Got my booster today at the Malvern three counties show ground. It was all well organised.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Discussions in respect of vaccine passports and claim/counter claim on what vaccination provides are starting to confuse me. So a few simple questions for those who are completely on top of this.

1) I only transmit the virus when it is active in me - but this could be a few months?
2) I do not need to be symptomatic to transmit the virus?
3) When the virus is active in me I am equally likely to transmit the virus to another whether of not I have been vaccinated?
4) Being vaccinated reduces the likelihood of me becoming infected through picking up the virus from another?
5) If I am vaccinated I become a lower risk of transmission to others in a population as I am less likely to become infected by it?
6) If 5) is correct then regardless of whether or not 3) is correct, it is the case that the greater the number of us vaccinated in a population the lower the prevalence of transmission within that population.

And of course - being vaccinated significantly reduces likelihood of me developing serious covid-19 illness if I pick up the covid-19 coronavirus. That I know.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Discussions in respect of vaccine passports and claim/counter claim on what vaccination provides are starting to confuse me. So a few simple questions for those who are completely on top of this.

1) I only transmit the virus when it is active in me - but this could be a few months?
2) I do not need to be symptomatic to transmit the virus?
3) When the virus is active in me I am equally likely to transmit the virus to another whether of not I have been vaccinated?
4) Being vaccinated reduces the likelihood of me becoming infected through picking up the virus from another?
5) If I am vaccinated I become a lower risk of transmission to others in a population as I am less likely to become infected by it?
6) If 5) is correct then regardless of whether or not 3) is correct, it is the case that the greater the number of us vaccinated in a population the lower the prevalence of transmission within that population.

And of course - being vaccinated significantly reduces likelihood of me developing serious covid-19 illness if I pick up the covid-19 coronavirus. That I know.

1) You can transmit the virus if you have an active infection - symptomatic or not, but also if you are a passive carrier - grabbed a door handle someone coughed on.
2) You do not need to be symptomatic
3) You are less likely to have an active infection if vaccinated, because your immune system should eliminate or reduce the ability of the virus to replicate. You are therefore less likely to transmit if vaccinated and if you transmit,. the amount you transmit is less likely to trigger a clinical infection in the recipient
4) As above, you can pick it up, the vax is not a shield, virus can still jump onto you, but you are less likely to allow it to replicate
5) Yes, and because you are less likely to become infected, there will be less of it that you can transmit
6) Yes, greater levels of vaccination rescues community risk to both vaccinated and unvaccinated people

A lot of these questions swing on two issues - host immunity and viral load. Vaccinated people have better, but not foolproof, host immunity, and this immunity will weaken with time, especially in older or clinically vulnerable people, hence boosters. Virus which gets onto vaccinated people is less likely to replicate (grow) and cause clinical infection or if it causes clinical infection, less likely to cause a serious one. The viral load is the amount of virus in each cough or sneeze, and vaccinated people who become infected have a lower viral load than unvaccinated, so if they cough, they will spread less virus which in turn is less likely to cause an infection, or a serious one, in others, and much less likely to cause a problem in other vaccinated people.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Booster booked today - bit of a queue as first day allowing 5 months since last jab to book, but my position of 255 took about a minute!

Better than trying to book my flu jab with our GP surgery who, despite my text from the NHS to book, aren't doing under 65's until sometime in December...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Booster booked today - bit of a queue as first day allowing 5 months since last jab to book, but my position of 255 took about a minute!

Better than trying to book my flu jab with our GP surgery who, despite my text from the NHS to book, aren't doing under 65's until sometime in December...
Booking my 1st and 2nd jab was like trying to book a ticket to see Peter Kay on tour. Endless refereshing of the screen, eventually you get in and then you have to see him in another city on a date you don't want :LOL:. I've just booked my booster now. Instead of being 20 miles away it is in my home town, in a pharmacy. I had a choice of both dates and times, all civilised ones. The difference is chalk and cheese. The worrying side is that being so easy, when the same people I was fighting for times for 1 & 2 can also book, suggests that people are not rushing to get their booster.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Booking my 1st and 2nd jab was like trying to book a ticket to see Peter Kay on tour. Endless refereshing of the screen, eventually you get in and then you have to see him in another city on a date you don't want :LOL:. I've just booked my booster now. Instead of being 20 miles away it is in my home town, in a pharmacy. I had a choice of both dates and times, all civilised ones. The difference is chalk and cheese. The worrying side is that being so easy, when the same people I was fighting for times for 1 & 2 can also book, suggests that people are not rushing to get their booster.
Although it was quoted on the news that the system was opened today, it went live on Saturday. No queue ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Although it was quoted on the news that the system was opened today, it went live on Saturday. No queue ?
I started this morning as 134th in the queue but I was in within 30 seconds so really not an issue. First time around it was a nightmare and the options were all miles away. I'm not complaining, it's great, but it does suggest uptake is not as great.

D

Deleted member 21258

In england we are 6.2million behindo_Oo_Oo_O the 2nd jab + 6 month figures. (I would imagine you do have to discount that figure by 1) by deaths , 2) at a guess probably some who have been infected since jab 2 and not bothering (so effectively boosted)

John Roberts on Twitter: "Sun ???????booster & 3rd primary jabbing update: 371k today, up 12% on last week, continuing the steady growth seen over this last week. It's a new high, and I even needed to rescale the y-axes today! Total is now 8.4m, out of 14.6m past 6 months, so the gap stays at 6.2m. 1/ https://t.co/koljB7KWmA" / Twitter

We seem to have wasted far to much resources chasing plan B, C, D, E, F...Z rather than getting plan A done and getting protection highest in the most venerable.

I know a couple of older people who havent had it so far(one cant even access it as in a care home was in hospital for 3/4 weeks and no one will come out, got to wait until they are out and mobile) and a couple of others was very casual about it, but got it on a walk in last week after giving a nudge.

At least cases are dropping off the planet at the moment (in particular the young, as I posted before about and the good news is that cases rates are dropping in the older age ranges as well)

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I started this morning as 134th in the queue but I was in within 30 seconds so really not an issue. First time around it was a nightmare and the options were all miles away. I'm not complaining, it's great, but it does suggest uptake is not as great.

Whats the website, just the NHS one?
Didn't realise they'd changed it to 5 months.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been pretty rough with it after being positive with no symptoms, out of jail Thursday.

Noticed on my NHS app that my covid jab and test status is no longer showing.

My other issue is that I'm off to Austria end of December and the government requires me to test on my return however the NHS advice is testing within 90 days of an infection is not recommended.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Go to a chemist that's doing over 50s and then they report it to your drs and you can have it for free still

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just had my booster! Had Pfizer again. I was wondering how they chose what you will have as I overhead a guy in the bay next to me was getting Moderna, so the place had both, but it was pre-chosen I would have Pfizer.... Not bothered, just intreaged!