Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
HR - Surely there's a HR dept with a personnel file for each front line employee which will/( can be made to) show vaccinated status?
Press a button once a day/week and database will throw up the unvaccinated?
Or something very similar.....

Don't doubt there is a database somewhere. Just not sure HR will be too fussed (or organised knowing our HR as I do). I know our medical workforce team (looking after doctors only) are already seriously understaffed and over stretched so can't see them being in any position to check the doctors coherently. I'm not disagreeing with your point, just pointing out it may not be a straightforward task. We have many staff that work nights only so I can't see HR staying late or getting there for handover at 7.00am to look at those and follow it up

4LEX

Visit site
HR - Surely there's a HR dept with a personnel file for each front line employee which will/( can be made to) show vaccinated status?
Press a button once a day/week and database will throw up the unvaccinated?
Or something very similar.....

This is the NHS we're talking about. Stuff like that will take years to enforce properly.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Don't doubt there is a database somewhere. Just not sure HR will be too fussed (or organised knowing our HR as I do). I know our medical workforce team (looking after doctors only) are already seriously understaffed and over stretched so can't see them being in any position to check the doctors coherently. I'm not disagreeing with your point, just pointing out it may not be a straightforward task. We have many staff that work nights only so I can't see HR staying late or getting there for handover at 7.00am to look at those and follow it up
Don't you just get people to affirm they have been vaccinated, if it's found they lied then they get dismissed and maybe prosecuted.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Isn't this just a one time thing? You've got a list of staff and all you have to do is confirm that each one of them is double jabbed. It's not like you've got to check all of them every day, once you've confirmed they're done then that's it. It's more than 140 days until this kicks in on 1st April so with the 6000 staff you say you've got that means that if you check 43 each day then you'll be finished well ahead of the deadline - and that's assuming that all of the 6000 are patient facing or aren't exempt. Is it really that difficult to catch up with these staff on their lunch break and confirm that they are double jabbed?

Leftitshort

Visit site
Are you equating the anti-vaxx propaganda with the scientific community's comments and publications?
Nope. Just saying that as per the article there are versions of truth. It was in response to sockets post. Change the dates, different impression of the same info. It’s not anti anything, but I know you appreciate how data can be manipulated.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

Nah, can't be having that. HR not too fussed?
Each employees records show D of B, address etc. Just needs another field showing Vax status. ?
Call up the database to show those not vaxed, and bingo, there's a list.
That's what computers are for.
Also, if NHS can look at a computer putting in my NHS number and find out if I've been vaxed, then putting in the NHS numbers of NHS employees will show the same, won't it?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm unconvinced that requiring NHS staff to get full vaccination will prevent the spread! There's even an argument that it could contribute to the spread!
However, it will mean that more NHS staff are available to care for pandemic, or other, cases.
That 'said', I can't understand why any NHS staff member has/would not be vaccinated!

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Each employees records show D of B, address etc. Just needs another field showing Vax status. ?
Also, if NHS can look at a computer putting in my NHS number and find out if I've been vaxed, then putting in the NHS numbers of NHS employees will show the same, won't it?
There are significant Privacy/Data Protection issues involved!

4LEX

Visit site
I'm unconvinced that requiring NHS staff to get full vaccination will prevent the spread! There's even an argument that it could contribute to the spread!
However, it will mean that more NHS staff are available to care for pandemic, or other, cases.
I can't understand why any NHS staff member has/would not be vaccinated!

What argument would this be?

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site

I’ve been waiting nearly three years for my duplicated NHS number to be sorted.
I go to a hospital for an emergency unconscious not being able to explain and I could end up 6 foot under.

Your relying on back office staff that are like most businesses wholly incompetent, disinterested lazy and ready for the weekend.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
What argument would this be?
Notwithstanding (or even As per!) what Ethan posted in 21853....Because being vaccinated supresses the symptoms, someone who is vaccinated, but becomes infected, can continue to spread the virus unknowingly!
Vaccination (greatly) reduces the effects of having the virus, but it's (either) the prevention of its spread - or 'herd immunity' - that will reduce the infection rate/count.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The misinformation around covid is scary on both sides. Anyone who wants a true picture really has to look quite hard for it. It’s become politicised & monetised now.
the below isn’t making a specific point but more to illustrate

https://fullfact.org/health/amanda-pritchard-nhs-hospitalisations/
Ah! The difference a single word (in this case 'had') can make! And, even then, the headline value appears to have been vastly overstated.
Unsurprisingly for news article, (though actually, rather unusually from 'Full Fact') the rebuttal also makes dodgy claims....The 7k-ish in hospital on 5.11.21 is NOT '1.6 times lower' than the 11k-ish on 5/11/20!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Are you equating the anti-vaxx propaganda with the scientific community's comments and publications?
In this case - as the 'culprit' is the CEO of NHS England - it would appear so!
If 'anti-vaxx propaganda' is to be countered - as I believe it should/must be - then 'B-S from authorities' examples such as that quoted must be eliminated!

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Notwithstanding (or even As per!) what Ethan posted in 21853....Because being vaccinated supresses the symptoms, someone who is vaccinated, but becomes infected, can continue to spread the virus unknowingly!
Vaccination (greatly) reduces the effects of having the virus, but it's (either) the prevention of its spread - or 'herd immunity' - that will reduce the infection rate/count.

This simply isn't true, Ethan has posted this many times on this thread!

It is not actually correct. It does not only influence severity.

Vaccination does the following:

Reduces likelihood of infection
Reduces likelihood of an infection that occurs despite above resulting in hospitalisation or death
Reduces transmission, due to reduced chance of being infected but also reduced viral load (likely also part of reason for reduced severity)
Reduces prevalence of infection in community

Remember that when vaccines were first put into clinical trials, the hoped for effect was a 60% or better reduction in cases. The actual results were much higher. But at no point was it ever suggested that they would stop all cases, or last forever. I was a massive supporter of primary vaccination, less so for boosters (although I will have mine). But I am a big fan of taking updated vaccines that cover new variants. Pfizer has results on a version updated for delta due out soon.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I go to a hospital for an emergency unconscious not being able to explain and I could end up 6 foot under.

Your relying on back office staff that are like most businesses wholly incompetent, disinterested lazy and ready for the weekend.

I take what you are saying re human frailties of staff etc.( BTW, your case is an utter disgrace. I know it's expense, but would a solicitor acting for you not focus them better?)
What I was alluding to more was a system. I cannot see it being the case that the NHS would not have a computer system bringing up employees details
( they must have one already) without it being able to have a field for vax status.
If the CEO of each hospital cannot then get their PA to bring up the list of unvaxed each week, then we are in a bad way.?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
In this case - as the 'culprit' is the CEO of NHS England - it would appear so!
If 'anti-vaxx propaganda' is to be countered - as I believe it should/must be - then 'B-S from authorities' examples such as that quoted must be eliminated!

The CEO of NHSE is NOT part of the scientific community. She is an administrator who may have risen to, or beyond, the level of her competence.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Well, if you are unconscious, you can't explain much.

I would be shocked if any ED in the UK would withhold or delay appropriate emergency treatment for anyone just because they don't have an NHS number.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
This simply isn't true, Ethan has posted this many times on this thread!
Note how often the word 'reduces' appears in Ethan's post(s). And how 'eliminates' does not! It's still up to individuals to continue to protect themselves and others by continuing 'good practice'!
While I certainly agree that vaccination is highly desirable - and have already posted that I can't understand why NHS folk would be reluctant to do so - I'm merely pointing out that being vaccinated does not, of itself, eliminate the problem - and can breed complacency! I have personal experience of the danger of that complacency, though fortunately was not adversely affected, as I continued to 'keep my distance' from a vaxed fellow worker who was the likely spredder of the virus to a dozen or so others!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Note how often the word 'reduces' appears in Ethan's post(s). And how 'eliminates' does not! It's still up to individuals to continue to protect themselves and others by continuing 'good practice'!
While I certainly agree that vaccination is highly desirable - and have already posted that I can't understand why NHS folk would be reluctant to do so - I'm merely pointing out that being vaccinated does not, of itself, eliminate the problem - and can breed complacency! I have personal experience of the danger of that complacency, though fortunately was not adversely affected, as I continued to 'keep my distance' from a vaxed fellow worker who was the likely spredder of the virus to a dozen or so others!

No vaccines, and hardly any medicine, eliminates (prevents 100%) cases. The vaccines were hoped to reduce (that word again) 60%+ of cases, but it actually does a lot better.

Flu vaccines struggle to reach 60%.

I agree that vaccines are not a reason not to practice hygiene measures, and I think masks, hand washing's ventilation and social distancing are still very important.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
No vaccines, and hardly any medicine, eliminates (prevents 100%) cases. The vaccines were hoped to reduce (that word again) 60%+ of cases, but it actually does a lot better.

Flu vaccines struggle to reach 60%.

I agree that vaccines are not a reason not to practice hygiene measures, and I think masks, hand washing's ventilation and social distancing are still very important.
Thanks for 'confirming' my point - which seems to have been interpreted rather more 'negatively' by some than I had intended!

I'm a little surprised how low the efficacy of Flu vaccines are. Adds to my thoughts that, at least presently in otherwise good health (though somewhat imobilised by a 'brand new' hip - #2), that I shouldn't bother with it. A couple of days of feeling low is no biggie for the antibodies generated 'naturally'.