Convoluted golf arithmetic

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
It’s hardly quantum mechanics.

Just go out and play your golf and let your index be what it will be.
He didn’t need to put is so harshly but he’s right. Try and focus on bogey golf and minimising the tripples which means accoeting bad shots and not chasing to try and recover the situation. If you get a tripple, accept it

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Under the UHS when my handicap was 6.2 I would have to shoot better than par +5.2 or maybe a different number if the CSS altered the SSS stop my handicap going up to 6.3.

If I shot par + 3.2 and was playing in another comp that afternoon or the next morning I would have to work out for myself what my new handicap was.

It is so easy these days - just look on the app, the PSI screen or E.G and it is all there no working it out for yourself.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
He didn’t need to put is so harshly but he’s right. Try and focus on bogey golf and minimising the tripples which means accoeting bad shots and not chasing to try and recover the situation. If you get a tripple, accept it
Currently, I'm focusing on whether my left knee is a bit better after months of physio.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
So, do you really need to put a card in? You're going out to test your knee, not qualifying for the Tour!;)

I'm not testing my knee; that is how my knee is. Since I slipped on the ice in 2018 coming off the 9th. I submit all rounds for handicap so that my handicap represents how I am playing. To do otherwise would be handicap manipulation.

Ian_George

Visit site
So you don't play 'casual' (friendly) rounds, where the enjoyment of playing a round of golf with friends is the priority! That's a little bit sad imo! And FWIW, I've got a couple of dodgy knees and hips, as well as the classic 'Allo Allo' dodgy ticker!

D

Deleted member 29109

So you don't play 'casual' (friendly) rounds, where the enjoyment of playing a round of golf with friends is the priority! That's a little bit sad imo! And FWIW, I've got a couple of dodgy knees and hips, as well as the classic 'Allo Allo' dodgy ticker!

Is it not possible to do both at the same time?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
It sure is. I think where people baulk at submitting cards all the time, even while playing casual and for social fun, is that they are concerned about maintainging their handicap as low as possible, rather than let it happen as it may. In a way, reluctance to submit cards for 'fun' rounds, is the opposite to the charge of handicap manipulation by deliberately submitting bad cards. Being reluctant to risk submitting a bad card, or not wanting to commit before a round to submit the result unless it gets 100% focus, is not wanting to risk a handicap increase. It is vanity handicapping.

Ian_George

Visit site
Depends! If the main purpose of the round is to have a friendly round of golf, then score is irrelevant! If the score is going to count for handicap, then the 'friendliness factor' tends to be reduced by the concentration element! It becomes something like a 'friendly' boxing match!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Putting in casual rounds is not a necessary part of WHS it is optional.

If it detracts from your enjoyment of golf don't do it.
There is no requirement to do so in the UK. Other authorities may vary.