Constant Increase in the Cost of Golf Gear

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes I was referring to the AD333 Tour but was not sure what place it had in the market. If the Z Star is the premium ball and the soft feel etc at the other end then the AD333 Tour must be top middle sort of like a Titleist Nxt tour. I felt that £36 was just excessive for anything that is not your premium ball and at least £10 per dozen too expensive

NXT tour has a surlyn cover not urethane, that ball is a proper rip off. The ad333 tour is using the same tech as top end balls. The pro v1 is a 3 piece urethane ball, as is the zstar. Prov1x and zstar Xv are 4 piece.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
NXT tour has a surlyn cover not urethane, that ball is a proper rip off. The ad333 tour is using the same tech as top end balls. The pro v1 is a 3 piece urethane ball, as is the zstar. Prov1x and zstar Xv are 4 piece.

Which confuses me even more. If it is pretty much a premium ball then why name it after your bog standard 2 piece ball. Gives the wrong impression. Poor choice of product name as I would immediately assume it was better than an AD333 not as good as a Z star and either equivalent to or less than a tri speed

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Which confuses me even more. If it is pretty much a premium ball then why name it after your bog standard 2 piece ball. Gives the wrong impression. Poor choice of product name as I would immediately assume it was better than an AD333 not as good as a Z star and either equivalent to or less than a tri speed

Agreed, I wouldn't have named it the same as a ball you can pick up for a quid a ball. Wrong association in people's minds. The ad333 is apparently the biggest selling 2 piece in the uk, perhaps they are trying to tap that market?
Sounds like a really good ball though.

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not watched the price of too many things over the years but I think the Taylormade 510 TP Driver which is at least 10 years + old was £399 when it came out and they didn't replace it 3 months later either.
The price of a Mizzy set of blades did go up £200 over 2 years when I was looking at upgrading between then MP68's and the MP69's, enough to put me off.

EuanRoss

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In my opinion it's only really the brand new stuff that's really really pricey and you'll pick up a very good set or clubs for relatively cheap. I think I paid £279 for my x20's a few years ago. Can't remember what I paid for my G10 driver and picked up an odyssey putter for £50. I think it's people's obsession with having the newest gear and thinking that spending £300 on a driver and £500 on a set of cutting edge new irons will make them better when perhaps practising or a couple of lessons with what they have would better solve the problem.

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
Imo the price of single clubs like drivers is extortionate asking £399 for a club that isn't relatively speaking going to make a huge difference on what you currently have is just good marketing.

The price of equipment is one of the many things that puts people off trying the game, yes you can buy 2nd hand etc but if someone has never played before and doesn't know what's decent and a good deal the default is to go to a retailer and get recommended for gear a d how many shops will recommend you leaving their establishment and go buy a model a few years old off of EBay!

Myself I'd love a new set of shines, but can't justify to HID that I need £600 for some lumps of metal when I've got a perfectly good set they do the same job as the newer ones I like especially when with a young family that's a sum of money that has to be saved to go towards a holiday that everyone deserves as a break, or could be put to better use going into kids saving funds for when they get older and want Uni fees etc.

The shoes thing is one that gets me more than clubs, because it's becoming standard to print them in excess of £100 I've in the past been guilty of being a golf shoe whore as I like all different types for different outfits and conditions (I'm the same with normal shoes and trainers I like variety) but I've found that I don't need to spend top end prices to get decent golf footwear. My Nike shoes cost £30 in the sale as they were last season's model as a new version had been released only difference was mine didn't have the extra go faster stripe and my summer shoes were £22 from Sport direct I'm not ashamed to admit they are the Dunlop soft spike street style shoe and are more comfortable than the Adidas ones I had that were 3 times the price.

There are bargains to be had if you only shop in the sales, buy 2nd hand or can see beyond brand names but going forward can't see me buying New for a few years.

It's not just golf though it's now through all walks of life and consumables no time more evident than this time year as everything is full mark up before Christmas then come the January sales and the same item is 50-70% off and they are still making profit as they don't sell at a loss.

Last edited:

elevenredmen

Medal Winner
Visit site
Whilst prices may have gone up slightly the last couple of years they have come down significantly compared to the late 90's / early 00's. I am sure that Taylor Made were selling some drivers at £499, Callaway Great Big Berthas were £299, Biggest Big Bertha were £399 and the ERC was £449.

Looking at the those prices and the quality of components compared to now. WOW.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I am generally careful with my expenditure but I will usually buy good quality clothes and shoes. Seldom at the full price.

I wear Timberland shoes as they fit and wear well. Usually for about £100 in the sales.
I find it interesting that golfers are saying that £100 is expensive for golf shoes. I wear Footjoys.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
All my clubs except my five wood were last year's model and reduced a fair bit from initial selling price.

I don't care about new releases happening regularly - I feel sorry for those who have to have the lastest - kind of compare it to phones - my mate has had six new phones in the space of the last two years, he's a gadget freak but knows nothing about tech - I change my phone when I get a new one at the end of my contract - clubs are a bit like that to me too.

I'll probably change my irons this year (six years old) but if Ping bring out G30s I'm still likely to go for G25s.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Brand new models are always going to be as expensive as possible as company's look to recoup R&R costs and maximise profits. Its the nature of the beast with any new product in any walk of life. I agree that the cost of new drivers does seem silly when 6-12 months later they can be picked up at a fraction of the RRP. Irons tend to be within a certain price parameter depending on the type (GI, tour model etc) and these haven't seemed to fluctuate too wildly over recent years

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just thinking that maybe they hadn't changed much, I paid £499 for my x18s 3-sw 7 years ago. I've just paid £640 for my ping g25s 5-pw, 5w and hybrid. Not bad considering I've got a hybrid and fairway for £140 extra. Yet also consider I'm 3 clubs less on the irons.