Consistently inconsistent

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
That's golf for you, even the very best suffer from this from time to time. How often in pro golf do you see a guy shoot the course record one day then over par the next

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would say I'm more consistently mediocre. For this whole calendar year my lowest scores were 80 and my highest was 93. I've shot in the 90s just seven times, and in the 80s 28 times. It's very rare that I ever get less than 30 points. Pretty dull really.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Inconsistency and slow play were the reasons I stopped, after playing for over 60 years.
I was hitting either really good shots or very bad shots, nothing in between.
I was looking forward to retirement, playing with the old boys and bobbing along about a steady 10 handicap.
Sadly that did not happen.
I was a real steady Eddie golfer in my prime, rare for me to hit a poor score or damaging shot.
'Even your bad shots are good' was a comment I often heard,

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends on which 1 of my 6 multi personalities turn up on the day :eek:.
Only williamalex1 can play reasonably well, the other 5 are varying degrees of :poop:.
Sadly williamalex1 is rarely seen these days, usually its one of the doppelgangers :ROFLMAO:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Inconsistency and slow play were the reasons I stopped, after playing for over 60 years.
I was hitting either really good shots or very bad shots, nothing in between.
I was looking forward to retirement, playing with the old boys and bobbing along about a steady 10 handicap.
Sadly that did not happen.
I was a real steady Eddie golfer in my prime, rare for me to hit a poor score or damaging shot.
'Even your bad shots are good' was a comment I often heard,
You would probably be in the Whippersnappers team at a forum meet.
Lower your expectations , dig out the old clubs again and enjoy the company (y)

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You would probably be in the Whippersnappers team at a forum meet.
Lower your expectations , dig out the old clubs again and enjoy the company (y)

My daughter told me that about 8 years ago.
Well her actual words were ' just admit to yourself that you are a 'carp' golfer and take it from there.
It did not work.
One of my old friends was a decent pro in his era and was later involved at the top end of the PGA.
He retired at 65 and does not play at all now.

yandabrown

Visit site
Well her actual words were ' just admit to yourself that you are a 'carp' golfer and take it from there.
It did not work.
One of my old friends was a decent pro in his era and was later involved at the top end of the PGA.
Start again left handed? A completely new challenge and cannot be compared to how you were. (or right handed if you were already a leftie).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It did not work.
As I moaned once more about my struggles with my golf my pro kindly told me…you’re no longer a young man…you are not as flexible as you once were so don’t expect to hit the ball like they do…you can do it differently…maybe not hit it so far, but good enough for what should be your expectations (he might well have added…at your age)

Now whether he’d have said that to all his pupils I do not know…but he knows he can be bluntly honest with me.
And so it is. So though not relearning left-handed, I am indeed relearning the golf swing. Ah well. It’s a challenge.

D

Deleted member 21258

download.png

The ups and downs keeps me coming back for more, cant beat the ride.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Start again left handed? A completely new challenge and cannot be compared to how you were. (or right handed if you were already a leftie).

I once won a bet playing 9 holes against a left handed 18/20 handicapper.......quite easily.;)
Quite a crowd watching and nobody thought I would win.
Started as a joke when he said 'well at least I can say that I an the best left hander in our society' [he was the only one]
Got quite serious and he was pretty pissed about losing.