Confused about shafts - Project X and Rifle....

S

Snelly

Right. My new irons (Callaway X-22 Tour which by the way look almost identical at address to my X-14 Pro irons!) have got shafts in them that say Rifle Project X Flighted 5.5 Precision.

Am I right in thinking that in old money, this means they are a bit softer than S300 shafts?

Apologies for my ignorance...! Thanks in advance for any help.

Will see how they go at Crowborough tomorrow but they feel nice......

A

Alex1975

I had a set of those 62s in black nickel once.

On the shaft question there are a number of differences. Rifles are frequency matched so their flex (based on frequency at least) is pretty consistent and plays a shade softer than TT DG S300. Project X are a different type of shaft designed to play very solid and boardy. They are not frequency matched so are a bit more variable within and between sets. PX play about 0.5 firmer than the equivalent Rifle. PX flighted are different again and play softer than PX, similar to Rifle.

I always find it interesting when its said that PX feel or are meant to feel boardy. In irons I can not find another shaft that gives me the feedback of the PX, DG feels far more boardy to me. However in the woods range I find there shafts dead, boardy, lifeless and totally un comunicative so that is true to form. I guess its what makes shafts such an interesting topic!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Right. My new irons (Callaway X-22 Tour which by the way look almost identical at address to my X-14 Pro irons!) have got shafts in them that say Rifle Project X Flighted 5.5 Precision.

Am I right in thinking that in old money, this means they are a bit softer than S300 shafts?

Apologies for my ignorance...! Thanks in advance for any help.

Will see how they go at Crowborough tomorrow but they feel nice......

S300 equates to about 5.3 on the Project-X scale, so your 5.5's are slightly firmer.

The 'Flighted' part means that (apologies if you already know this) the shafts are designed to give a higher than normal flight with the longer irons and lower with the shorter irons.

S

Snelly

S300 equates to about 5.3 on the Project-X scale, so your 5.5's are slightly firmer.

The 'Flighted' part means that (apologies if you already know this) the shafts are designed to give a higher than normal flight with the longer irons and lower with the shorter irons.

Thanks very much R3. Just what I wanted to know and no, I had absolutely no clue what the flighted part meant so thanks again.

A

Alex1975

Is it not the the flighted get up quicker but level out at about the same hight as regular PX?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just as you thought confusion over, Royal Precision always stated an S300 was around 5.7 / 5.8 on their PX scale. An approx equivalent of a hard stepped S300.

As far as I remember from Ethan when I was asking the same thing, S300 is around 5.8 on the Rifle scale, but around 5.3 on the PX scale.
Rifle play half a flex softer than the PX shaft of the same number.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
As far as I remember from Ethan when I was asking the same thing, S300 is around 5.8 on the Rifle scale, but around 5.3 on the PX scale.
Rifle play half a flex softer than the PX shaft of the same number.

That is the info I have.

Based on frequency, TT DG S300 = Rifle 5.8 = PX 5.3 = KBS R+ hard stepped

PX 5.5 = Rifle 6.0 = KBS Stiff = TT DS S300 hard stepped (OK, those are 6.1 actually)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
PX 5.5 = Rifle 6.0 = KBS Stiff = TT DS S300 hard stepped (OK, those are 6.1 actually)

This may be about right, but the feel is significantly different.

The (original satin finish - that's another variable!) PX 5.5s I had were indeed boardy and the bones in my hands hurt if I played more than once in a couple of days on a links course. The Rifle 6.0s were (and still are) fine (Miura Tournament Blades and TM 300 Forgeds). I had some KBS Tours (in Vega V-Muscles) that felt slightly softer than the R6.0s. The PXs actually replaced some S300s that felt dull - dead was how the fitter described them in those particular heads (Miura CB201s). The PXs did feel 'bright' and gave good feedback, just needed a 'hitter' swing rather than my 'swinger' one.

Part of the feel is because of the profile of the different shafts. S300 is Butt soft/tip stiff; Rifles are Butt stiff/tip soft. PX and KBS Tours, which were actually designed by the same guy) seem to flex higher up the shaft than Rifles. I would happily play KBS Tours again or a slightly heavier shaft of the same profile, though the C-Tapers, that seem somewhere between Tours and PX don't seem my sort of shaft. Oddly, I have got on very well with S400s (MP37s) - which are really just slightly out-of-tolerance (over-weight) S300s!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
This may be about right, but the feel is significantly different.

The (original satin finish - that's another variable!) PX 5.5s I had were indeed boardy and the bones in my hands hurt if I played more than once in a couple of days on a links course. The Rifle 6.0s were (and still are) fine (Miura Tournament Blades and TM 300 Forgeds). I had some KBS Tours (in Vega V-Muscles) that felt slightly softer than the R6.0s. The PXs actually replaced some S300s that felt dull - dead was how the fitter described them in those particular heads (Miura CB201s). The PXs did feel 'bright' and gave good feedback, just needed a 'hitter' swing rather than my 'swinger' one.

Part of the feel is because of the profile of the different shafts. S300 is Butt soft/tip stiff; Rifles are Butt stiff/tip soft. PX and KBS Tours, which were actually designed by the same guy) seem to flex higher up the shaft than Rifles. I would happily play KBS Tours again or a slightly heavier shaft of the same profile, though the C-Tapers, that seem somewhere between Tours and PX don't seem my sort of shaft. Oddly, I have got on very well with S400s (MP37s) - which are really just slightly out-of-tolerance (over-weight) S300s!

All true, which is why I said the comparison was based on frequency. YMMV as they say on the internet a lot.