Computer problem.....

cleveland52

Visit site
I have an Acer Aspire Series Computer,
I thought that I'd take this opportunity to ask for help with my computer. It has power but the screen is black. Hoping it's not the mother board.

Things that I've tried:

Checked the power cord
removed the ram
Checked the monitor
Held the power button for two minutes

Any help would be appreciated.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Take a look at the back
where does the screen plug in?
is it in the same bit as everything else or is there a separate bit below?

If the latter, then you have a dedicated graphics card, you can take this out and plug the screen into the socket where everything else goes.

if it’s already plugged in to the everything bit, then you probably need a local PC guy to take a look

it may be a gonner

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is it an all in one computer or one with a separate desktop and monitor.

If the latter do you connect via HDMI or SVGA? Whichever try the other way.

Does your TV support HDMI and SVGA if yes can you check it is not the monitor by connecting to the TV?

If it is an all in one can it be connected to a second video display (TV or monitor)?

cleveland52

Visit site
Is it an all in one computer or one with a separate desktop and monitor.

If the latter do you connect via HDMI or SVGA? Whichever try the other way.
and nothing on either one.
Does your TV support HDMI and SVGA if yes can you check it is not the monitor by connecting to the TV?

If it is an all in one can it be connected to a second video display (TV or monitor)?
It's a laptop. I hooked up another monitor and nothing on either one.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's a laptop. I hooked up another monitor and nothing on either one.

I do not know much about laptops but from my days of working on desktops one last bit of advice, which will involves taking the case base off, is checking the bios battery. At the same time you can check that the screen 'ribbon cable' is not loose this is not likely to be the case though is another monitor on the HDMI port is not working.

cleveland52

Visit site
I do not know much about laptops but from my days of working on desktops one last bit of advice, which will involves taking the case base off, is checking the bios battery. At the same time you can check that the screen 'ribbon cable' is not loose this is not likely to be the case though is another monitor on the HDMI port is not working.
Bios battery is well hidden. I'll ty to access though.

Jason.H

Visit site
I had an acer laptop many many years ago and the stern started flickering. It turned out the the opening and closing just wore it over time. Only lasted 2 years or so. Wouldn’t buy acer again tbh

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had an acer laptop many many years ago and the stern started flickering. It turned out the the opening and closing just wore it over time. Only lasted 2 years or so. Wouldn’t buy acer again tbh

Now there is a simple answer.

Has the switch that checks if the screen / lid is open or closed failed.

cleveland52

Visit site
added Info.....three or four years ago I put a new hard drive in it. Im a retired photographer and have a million photos on two inactive hard drives

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
added Info.....three or four years ago I put a new hard drive in it. Im a retired photographer and have a million photos on two inactive hard drives
if you scrap the laptop recovering files from hard drives that have been removed before scrapping ( or sending in for repair) is an easy process you should find how to videos on youtube. I use macrium reflect for hard drive cloning

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree